Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If DeRozan was a free agent this offseason, what kind of offers does he get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    14M a year is easily achievable with a max contract and raises. Works out to about 14.6M per year on a 4 year offer.
    Would you mind explaining how this works, please and tanks!

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
      Would you mind explaining how this works, please and tanks!
      It is the annual raises.

Signing with another team would offer 4.5% raises.

Re-Signing with your own team allows 7.5% raises.

Isn't that correct, DanH?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        It is the annual raises.

Signing with another team would offer 4.5% raises.

Re-Signing with your own team allows 7.5% raises.

Isn't that correct, DanH?
        Oh ok, so his initial salary wouldn't be over $14M though?

Comment

Oh ok, so his initial salary wouldn't be over $14M though?
          No.

25% of salary cap, I believe, unless they meet criteria to allow 30%

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            No.

25% of salary cap, I believe, unless they meet criteria to allow 30%
            But if the Cap is projected to be $62-63M, wouldn't that allow him (at 25%) to earn $15.5M?

Comment

max salaries are stupid. they hurt the nba. it's an artificial price ceiling on one product, when the price of every other product is determined by the market.

imagine if a team had to pay Lebron 45M? wouldn't that make the nba more entertaining?
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

But if the Cap is projected to be $62-63M, wouldn't that allow him (at 25%) to earn $15.5M?
                Not technically 25%.. here is the foot note from Coon's FAQ:
                http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q73

They use a different cap calculation to determine the maximum salaries, which is based on 42.14% of projected BRI rather than 44.74%. In 2005 the sides negotiated a different formula for setting the salary cap but not maximum salaries, so the two became decoupled, and this continued in the 2011 agreement. For this reason the maximum salaries are not actually 25%, 30% or 35% of the cap, and instead are a slightly lower amount. For example, even though the salary cap for 2011-12 is $58.044 million and 25% of this amount is $14.511 million, the 0-6 year maximum salary is actually $12,922,194. In addition, for 2012-13 a 5.8% increase in maximum salaries was agreed to, even though the salary cap stayed the same as 2011-12.
                ... but with the cap projected to go up.. his starting salary would as well. Not sure if it would be 15.5 but probably closer to 14+

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Not technically 25%.. here is the foot note from Coon's FAQ:
                  http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q73

... but with the cap projected to go up.. his starting salary would as well. Not sure if it would be 15.5 but probably closer to 14+
                  Yeah, this year's starting salary for a 0-6 year vet (such as DD) was 13.701M starting salary, with 4.5% raises each year, working out to 58.5M total over 4 years - meaning about 14.6M per year.

With the cap jumping up next year, the adjusted starting salary should be close to 14.8M, meaning with 4.5% raises each year, the max he could get offered by another team would be 63M over 4 years, or 15.8M per year.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah, this year's starting salary for a 0-6 year vet (such as DD) was 13.701M starting salary, with 4.5% raises each year, working out to 58.5M total over 4 years - meaning about 14.6M per year.

With the cap jumping up next year, the adjusted starting salary should be close to 14.8M, meaning with 4.5% raises each year, the max he could get offered by another team would be 63M over 4 years, or 15.8M per year.
                    The advantage of long term contracts in a growing NBA market, despite the new CBA.

Smart teams should adjust to that before others do too.
                    "Bruno?
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                      max salaries are stupid. they hurt the nba. it's an artificial price ceiling on one product, when the price of every other product is determined by the market.

imagine if a team had to pay Lebron 45M? wouldn't that make the nba more entertaining?
                      I agree.. I don't get why the Players Association are fine with max salaries. They do it to protect the owners from themselves but it screws the best of the best like Lebron.. they wouldn't have been able to "team up" like they did in Miami. He'd probably be on NY making $50M a year.

Comment

Max salaries benefit the majority of NBA players, not the owners. If LBJ and his ilk make 90% of the salary cap, then 90% of the league makes the minimum salary. You can see why the union would push for max salaries. They are representing the players as a whole.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Max salaries benefit the majority of NBA players, not the owners. If LBJ and his ilk make 90% of the salary cap, then 90% of the league makes the minimum salary. You can see why the union would push for max salaries. They are representing the players as a whole.
                          yeah, i was gonna bring that up.

But I'm not necessarily sure how true that is, or how much worse it would be than in the current CBA.

There aren't enough superstars to go around the whole league, so for the rest of the teams, it becomes a lot more viable to pay a bunch of guys 8-10 mill and create match up nightmares for LBJ's team of choice.

And either way, it would make for way better parity in the NBA.

I'd say, the only guys who would see significant raises are probably the top 10-15 players in the NBA.

The fact that you need one of those guys right now to win is indicative of how much value they bring to a team.
                          Last edited by stooley; Fri May 16, 2014, 10:53 AM.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I think its possible that he would get offers between 12M to Max. All you need to do is look at the SG position around the NBA....

Comment

You do realize that's not true, right? 14M a year is easily achievable with a max contract and raises. Works out to about 14.6M per year on a 4 year offer.
                              Interesting, I was thinking that the max was in the $16 mil range, is this something new to the new CBA?
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                Interesting, I was thinking that the max was in the $16 mil range, is this something new to the new CBA?
                                Max depends on the player's history in the league.

That's why Kobe was eligible to be paid an absurd amount. It's too confusing for me.
                                "Bruno?
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X