Continuity = Asset Accumulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuity = Asset Accumulation

My post makes a few assumptions and takes a number of TL/MU statements at face value:

1) Masai is going to build with the core currently in place for another year or two: KL, DD, AJ, TR, JV, PP, GV;
    2) Lowry will be resigned as per TL comments;
    3) Masai intends to build through the draft.

All these threads going up on getting a lottery pick neglects the Raptors have to send away numerous assets. That goes 100% against everything the front office and top brass have been preaching. I believe Masai when he says the Raptors won't be stuck in no man's land. What the Raptors are currently doing, in my opinion, is accumulating assets.

I expect draft night to see the Raptors get another draft pick on draft night via trade. This year's draft is very deep. There are a number of talented players in the 2nd half of the 1st round (#15-30). To get anything #1-14, the Raptors are going to have to give up pieces of their core. Sending out 2 or 3 assets to return 1, and an unproven one at that, goes against the idea of asset accumulation.

The following are the types of trades I think make much more sense than #1 or #8 or anything in the lottery:

#16 - Chicago

Boozer, #16, #19 for Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, Stone, #20

Bulls waive all 4 players and save about $16M off their cap and books.

#21 and/or #29 - OKC

Perkins, #21 and/or #29 for Salmons and (maybe) #20

#22 - Memphis*

Prince and #22 for Salmons

#25 - Houston*

Lin and/or Asik, #25 for Salmons and/or Hansbrough, Buycks, Stone, #37

#26 - Miami*

#26 for #37

#28 - LA Clippers*

Dudley and #28 for Gay TPE

#30 - San Antonio

Bahahahaha, the Spurs don't trade picks, silly!

* All sniffing luxury tax.

Personally, I would be ecstatic if the Raptors can pull off the above Bulls trade, the Clippers trade, and/or the Heat trade. Bring in 2 first round picks for next year and stash one/two more in Europe. It is all about ASSET ACCUMULATION. When the time is right, Masai has a cupboard full of assets to improve by trade and with a roster full of cheap rookie contract talent he also has the ability to improve with cap space deals (unbalanced trades or free agent signing).

In summary, ASSET ACCUMULATION is the name of the game right now. Any trade that sends out more assets than it brings in is a no-no. Patience.

I actually really like that Bulls trade though.

It makes a ton of sense too. I saw on RealGM's wiretap that the Bulls already told Taj Gibson he's going to start, so Boozer is definitely on the way out. We save the Bulls from having to waste their amnesty and still pay Boozer, and all it costs them is a mid-round pick and one spot in the draft.

I love it for us because then we don't have to decide on just one guy from the mid-round, we can grab two. Potentially a guy like LaVine if he falls and maybe one of these bigs like Stokes or even take a risk on a Kyle Anderson.

Plus we have freaking Boozer next season... Could give us that low post-scoring that a lot of guys here want. Probably wouldn't re-sign 2Pat though and 'Los would probably start over Amir.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote:
      Says the author of How to get Sacramento's 8th pick.

There is a thread in Everything Raptors on #1, #7, and #8. This thread is #15-30. I think it is relevant. If it isn't I have full confidence in the decision making and moderating abilities of the moderators/administrators, which you are not I might add, to move it over to the trade forum.
      Calm down man.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote:
        Who is upset?

I'm highlighting your hypocrisy in a very calm manner.
        Alright man I apologize for questioning the merits of you making this thread. I even deleted my post.

Moving on...

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
          Alright man I apologize for questioning the merits of you making this thread. I even deleted my post.

Moving on...
          Thank you.

Comment

This is very much in line with Houston's thinking and how they were able to capitalize and get Harden via trade. Get as many assets as possible while giving up as few as possible, so when the time comes and a star is available, YOU can be the team to get him by trade before he even hits free agency.

Worst case we get marginally better each year and stay in the 45-55 win/2nd round exit zone.

Best case we swing a deal in a few years using several assets to acquire a major prize.

I prefer this a lot to panic moves like swapping Lowry for Nash and a pick or shipping out DeRozan for a mid-lottery pick.

Comment

I like it, + boozer is an expiring too, right?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I love love love the Boozer trade!

Some dead weight to move up slightly in the draft, get another mid first round and have to carry the Booze's salary for one year?

Sure!
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                  I like it, + boozer is an expiring too, right?

Yeah he is

Comment

If Bulls were really looking to maximize cap space, Raps could replace #20 with #37 and #59.

Would give Raps #16, #19, and #20.

Schwiiiiiiing!

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      If Bulls were really looking to maximize cap space, Raps could replace #20 with #37 and #59.

Schwiiiiiiing!
                      That would be fucking sweet

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
                      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Dont know if the Bulls would do it but I say pull the trigger, we are fleecing them. Imagine, our scrubs for Booz + Picks, sounds awesome.

At No16 if Tyler Ennis fall, we should grab him
                        At No19 we grab our guy Kyle Anderson or TJ Warren

Our Lineups Next Year
                        Lowry, Ennis,
                        DeRozan, Vazquez, Fields
                        Ross, Anderson or Warren, Novak
                        Booz, Amir, Hayes
                        Val, Backup Center (37th pick or 59th pick)

Comment

McHappy? Wow, I've been away for awhile.

Anyways, I'm really intrigued by that Houston deal:

#25 - Houston*

Lin and/or Asik, #25 for Salmons and/or Hansbrough, Buycks, Stone, #37
                          I think Asik is a guy we want and need to back JV, especially when JV makes his young mistakes. Asik is as good a defensive centre there is in the league; protects the rim, athletic, rebounds well, bang with bigger bodies, etc. However, like Hayes, at times he will be an offensive liability. Hayes was actually a solid passer, and could make those standing floaters over top.

That creates:

Lowry/Vasquez
                          DeRozan
                          Ross/Glenn Robinson III or Kyle Anderson*
                          Johnson/Patterson/Adreian Payne*
                          Valanciunas/Asik

Schwiiiiiiing!
                          I'm not sure I like the idea of three rookies again. The team would get even younger, and even less experienced. Two at most in my opinion, because these first-rounders are going to warrant development.

I'd like to see a good mix of a young player(s), along with veterans like a Vince Carter (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                            Dont know if the Bulls would do it but I say pull the trigger, we are fleecing them. Imagine, our scrubs for Booz + Picks, sounds awesome.

At No16 if Tyler Ennis fall, we should grab him
                            At No19 we grab our guy Kyle Anderson or TJ Warren

Our Lineups Next Year
                            Lowry, Ennis,
                            DeRozan, Vazquez, Fields
                            Ross, Anderson or Warren, Novak
                            Booz, Amir, Hayes
                            Val, Backup Center (37th pick or 59th pick)
                            Isn't that what Ujiri did in Denver? He kept acquiring young players and filled the team with them.

But by the way, with that squad will we still be able to sign Vince?

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                              Isn't that what Ujiri did in Denver? He kept acquiring young players and filled the team with them.

But by the way, with that squad will we still be able to sign Vince?

Pretty sure we can go over the cap with him, as long as he's a minimum.
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                              X