Continuity = Asset Accumulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I just don't really see positives to Granger. He can shoot....That's about all he can do effectively at this point.

He's struggled with health. His D has fallen off a cliff because of health issues. He will want minutes and won't be happy if he isn't getting them. He doesn't really move the needle at all IMO. Just takes up a roster spot to a guy who may just start to complain if he isn't getting the burn he's hoping for to help revitalize his career.

Wouldn't be a big gamble or anything, but it's beyond low priority as a move. If he's still around after the first couple of weeks of free agency, sure, call him up and see what he's looking for. But this team needs other things more.
    He's struggled with health. His D has fallen off a cliff because of health issues. He will want minutes and won't be happy if he isn't getting them. He doesn't really move the needle at all IMO. Just takes up a roster spot to a guy who may just start to complain if he isn't getting the burn he's hoping for to help revitalize his career.

How about we look at it like this.

You are MU. You have the chance to sign a guy who you think would not be disruptive to current team chemistry, regardless of his role on the team. He's been a number 1 scoring option on a playoff team before. He's aged in years of experience but not actual years. You may be able to sign him on a "bounceback season" contract, with a team option thrown in there as insurance. You can even throw in a verbal promise to waive or trade (along with the necessary contract stipulations) should he not be able to crack the top 9 rotation players by Christmas.

This player has not shown himself to be a leader, but is not a primadonna in any manner. You've got young guys on your team that have the starting role at his natural position. He's going to compete with them for minutes, but as mentioned previously, without bitching or whining about it. He's also playing for a winning team with a made-over culture.

I wouldn't make him my first priority or anything, but it's not completely far-fetched.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I just don't really see positives to Granger. He can shoot....That's about all he can do effectively at this point.

Wouldn't be a big gamble or anything, but it's beyond low priority as a move. If he's still around after the first couple of weeks of free agency, sure, call him up and see what he's looking for. But this team needs other things more.
      Granger would average 47 minutes a game under Casey. lol

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Granger would average 47 minutes a game under Casey. lol
        Better than when Rasual Butler and Alan Anderson were playing a combined 40 minutes a game.
        I'd go deeper into it, but my therapist has strictly forbidden it.
        @Boymusic66

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          Boozer is much better than every player we'd be sending out, and could hold his own in the PF/C rotation with Amir and Pat[terson].
          Are you sure this is a good trade?

Boozer PER 14.4 TS% .489 Reb/36 10.6 WS/48 .076 Turnovers/36 2.6

Hansbrough PER 14.2 TS% .562 Reb/36 10.6 WS/48 .149 Turnovers/36 1.7

Boozer is a more prolific scorer, but he also takes a lot more shots, 12.9 to 3.1.

Comment

• What would it take to get Bennet from Cleveland? I think he'd be more likely to flourish here.

Comment

• Stevo wrote: View Post
              What would it take to get Bennet from Cleveland? I think he'd be more likely to flourish here.
              Don't need another PF, IMO at least.

PP does what he does, arguably better right now.

Comment

• phiLLy wrote: View Post
                Don't need another PF, IMO at least.

PP does what he does, arguably better right now.
                I agree, but he's an awesome buy-low target who could still be developed in to a starter due to a change of environment and lowered expectations. Plus he may be more motivated in a more player-friendly locker room and playing back in his own country.

In addition, as a fourth big, depending on how he develops guys like PPat and Amir (very unfortunate) could become trade bait and he could even spell Ross at the SF position against post-play wings, if he keeps his quickness as he develops.

Of course this is all dependent on whether the Cavs want to trade him, or if the Cavs draft Wiggins or Parker.

But for welcome buy-low candidates he's seems pretty sound. Cavs don't want young players anymore, so we might be able to get him for say a mix of one of GV/PPat, Novak/Hayes, and Salmon's expiring for cap space. Cleveland may value a player like Novak despite him riding our bench for much of this season; not many spot up shooters on the Cavs.

Not sure how the trade would work (need to look at the contracts and all), but let's say players like PPat, Novak fits Cleveland's needs more then ours, and us adding Salmon's expiring allows them to go after someone this year. We pick up Bennet and a contract expiring in 2015 to match the salaries. Hayes could possibly be added as well.

It's medium risk proposition (I love me some PPat) but we would be trading some of our spare parts as value for other teams whilst keeping cap space for 2015 and our draft picks and picking up a previous high pick that may have much higher potential in PPat's ceiling.

Don't know how possible it is, but I personally like the idea.

Comment

• caccia wrote: View Post
                  Are you sure this is a good trade?

Boozer PER 14.4 TS% .489 Reb/36 10.6 WS/48 .076 Turnovers/36 2.6

Hansbrough PER 14.2 TS% .562 Reb/36 10.6 WS/48 .149 Turnovers/36 1.7

Boozer is a more prolific scorer, but he also takes a lot more shots, 12.9 to 3.1.
                  Not about Boozer. It is about getting another first round pick. Boozer is cost of doing business.

Comment

My post makes a few assumptions and takes a number of TL/MU statements at face value:

1) Masai is going to build with the core currently in place for another year or two: KL, DD, AJ, TR, JV, PP, GV;
                    2) Lowry will be resigned as per TL comments;
                    3) Masai intends to build through the draft.

All these threads going up on getting a lottery pick neglects the Raptors have to send away numerous assets. That goes 100% against everything the front office and top brass have been preaching. I believe Masai when he says the Raptors won't be stuck in no man's land. What the Raptors are currently doing, in my opinion, is accumulating assets.

I expect draft night to see the Raptors get another draft pick on draft night via trade. This year's draft is very deep. There are a number of talented players in the 2nd half of the 1st round (#15-30). To get anything #1-14, the Raptors are going to have to give up pieces of their core. Sending out 2 or 3 assets to return 1, and an unproven one at that, goes against the idea of asset accumulation.

The following are the types of trades I think make much more sense than #1 or #8 or anything in the lottery:

#16 - Chicago

Boozer, #16, #19 for Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, Stone, #20

Bulls waive all 4 players and save about $16M off their cap and books.

#21 and/or #29 - OKC

Perkins, #21 and/or #29 for Salmons and (maybe) #20

#22 - Memphis*

Prince and #22 for Salmons

#25 - Houston*

Lin and/or Asik, #25 for Salmons and/or Hansbrough, Buycks, Stone, #37

#26 - Miami*

#26 for #37

#28 - LA Clippers*

Dudley and #28 for Gay TPE

#30 - San Antonio

Bahahahaha, the Spurs don't trade picks, silly!

* All sniffing luxury tax.

Personally, I would be ecstatic if the Raptors can pull off the above Bulls trade, the Clippers trade, and/or the Heat trade. Bring in 2 first round picks for next year and stash one/two more in Europe. It is all about ASSET ACCUMULATION. When the time is right, Masai has a cupboard full of assets to improve by trade and with a roster full of cheap rookie contract talent he also has the ability to improve with cap space deals (unbalanced trades or free agent signing).

In summary, ASSET ACCUMULATION is the name of the game right now. Any trade that sends out more assets than it brings in is a no-no. Patience.
                    So sad none of this came about.

Comment

• ^^^
                      That would have required a lot of work and a GM who is doing his homework.

Comment

• You nailed Prince and 22 for Salmons (and 37) but it got screwed when PHX took Ennis.

The only thing that really bothers me here is that some of our assets are depreciating while others are appreciating.... Lowry has eroded to a coin-flip about whether he comes back. By the time Bruno is ready Demar could be gone. Salmons loses his trade value in a few days.

This free agency is so incredibly pivotal now. I hope Masai has a few aces up his sleeve.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          You nailed Prince and 22 for Salmons (and 37) but it got screwed when PHX took Ennis.

The only thing that really bothers me here is that some of our assets are depreciating while others are appreciating.... Lowry has eroded to a coin-flip about whether he comes back. By the time Bruno is ready Demar could be gone. Salmons loses his trade value in a few days.

This free agency is so incredibly pivotal now. I hope Masai has a few aces up his sleeve.
                          Timing is everything ... Make the right move, get the right pieces and make sure it all done in the RIGHT TIME

Comment

• I wonder if that makes Bennett expendable now that they have Wiggins.

They don't technically play the same positions, but...who knows.

Comment

• phiLLy wrote: View Post
                              I wonder if that makes Bennett expendable now that they have Wiggins.

They don't technically play the same positions, but...who knows.
                              i heard the new Cavs brass is high on Bennett and he's in really good shape now

if anything Thompson might be available?
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

So sad none of this came about.
                                Jamshid wrote: View Post
                                ^^^
                                That would have required a lot of work and a GM who is doing his homework.
                                Looks like the GM was doing more homework than all of us.

Can't emphasize enough how much I like this trade with Atlanta.

Comment

Working...
                                X