Continuity = Asset Accumulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stooley wrote: View Post
    well you aren't saving cap space in that situation.

novak is making nearly as much as chandler and is way worse, like useless in all but the most specific situations worse.

we're trying to dump all those contracts for a reason, another team isn't going to give us a useful player AND take on our bad contracts.

if we're going to give them salary relief, we actually have to do that.
    Novak is making a little over half of what Chandler is making. He's not that bad a contract for a guy with one elite skill, and they get a pick out of it. If they don't plan to use Chandler that much next year, then what else are you getting for Chandler?
    @Boymusic66

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I don't know what you mean. Denver had some pretty solid rosters when he was playing 25+ mpg. Those minutes will still be there next year even if Gallinari is healthy. His minutes will not go down that much (from the 31 he was getting last year, likely back to around 25). Their roster is worse at every position then it was 2-3 seasons ago, specifically it's much less talented/deep at the wings, which is Chandler's main spot.
      He played most of his minutes in 2012-2013 at PF when there was Faried and not a whole lot else at the 4. He played most of his minutes in 2013-2014 at the 3 with only really him there. But in 2014-2015, there'll be Gallo at the 3, and Hickson/Faried at the 4. He's not gonna get very many minutes at the 4, and the minutes he played at the 3 instead of Gallo aren't really gonna be that heavy. Not to mention that they've also got Randolph/Miller, guys who can play the 3 and stretch 4, and are younger so it'd be smarter for a team that's not a contender to give them the minutes instead of Chandler.
      @Boymusic66

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
        Novak is making a little over half of what Chandler is making. He's not that bad a contract for a guy with one elite skill, and they get a pick out of it. If they don't plan to use Chandler that much next year, then what else are you getting for Chandler?
        well I have to imagine there are teams that would give up more than novak. we got novak and a first for bargnani.

chandler is a productive player.

hayes, fields and novak are not.

i'm basing my opinion purely on that. it just doesn't make any sense from a value stand point for the nuggets.

Houston might not even give up lin for novak and 2nd.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
          He played most of his minutes in 2012-2013 at PF when there was Faried and not a whole lot else at the 4. He played most of his minutes in 2013-2014 at the 3 with only really him there. But in 2014-2015, there'll be Gallo at the 3, and Hickson/Faried at the 4. He's not gonna get very many minutes at the 4, and the minutes he played at the 3 instead of Gallo aren't really gonna be that heavy. Not to mention that they've also got Randolph/Miller, guys who can play the 3 and stretch 4, and are younger so it'd be smarter for a team that's not a contender to give them the minutes instead of Chandler.
          I think you're overstating things. Chandler will still be their 2nd best wing player and most versatile one. He will get minutes at the 2, 3 and 4 where he's a better player than Hickson (who actually fits better at C and plays a lot there), Foye and Fournier. And given Gallo's coming off a long layoff, there's no way Denver doesn't want insurance at that position in case he struggles to come back healthy.

There's no part of giving him up for Novak and a 2nd rounder that makes sense. Novak can't play the wing, and would be far down the depth chart.

Comment

chandler is 27, has averaged 31 minutes per game over his career, chipping in 13 points on 52.6% TS and is on contract for 6.7M next year.

he's not amazing, but he's worth a hell of a lot more than novak.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

chandler is 27, has averaged 31 minutes per game over his career, chipping in 13 points on 52.6% TS and is on contract for 6.7M next year.

I know...

TSF, you're making it sound like Chandler's minutes are by default. They're not. They're by design because he's earning them with strong play. They will find time for him. He's an ideal backup wing in this league. Defends well and can play up to 3 positions. You don't give that up for trash because you can't find him minutes. You will find him minutes because him playing those minutes helps your team.

Comment

Gallinari is coming off a reconstructive knee surgery. So the Nuggets won't just give Chandler away. He is their option B. They also don't need to shed his contract -- they aren't high enough to worry about tax, and they aren't low enough to create cap room. And he's only 2 mil guaranteed next summer.

The Raptors would have to offer something that makes sense basketball wise.
                Last edited by BobLoblaw; Thu May 29, 2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
                  But, for something like our useless junk, Salmons + Buycks + 2nd Round Picks like OldSkoolCool mentioned, you don't think that's worth it?

He comes off the books by 2016 10.8/11.5 left on his contract. So, 2 Yr/22M Essentially.

Isn't he, a better Bargnani? Like somebody who actually plays D and Rebounds quite well for his size? And albeit, cheaper, younger, and a better shooter also?

On another note, also been thinking. I know we've explored Houston Trades before, but, do you think we can manage to fleece Chicago or Houston a little bit? They're both trying to make plays for Melo, but they need to get under the cap.

Chicago needs to rid Gibson, Dunleavy, Boozer likely, or somebody that fits those salaries.

Boozer 16.8, expiring this season. Dunleavy 3M, expiring this season, and Gibson 8.5 for 3-More Years, off books by 2017. Curious as to how the Bulls will approach this, since they want to keep Gibson obviously. He's on a good deal too.

Houston needs to rid Asik and Lin.

Asik and Lin are owed 15M/Ea in terms of Cap-Space I believe, but are expiring next season.

Could we leech some picks out of Chicago/Houston? Maybe some 2014 Picks, along with 2016 picks too? Who knows.

I feel like we should take on other team's crap, that doesn't extend too far, like Houston's/Chicago's while accumulating draft picks. Whether or not we actually use them, is a different story. We buy when teams are desperate, and then we have the chance of selling them in the future when their value increases.

Can anybody think of a way where we can help both Chicago and Houston clear up enough space for Melo?
                  Asik and Lin are actually owed $15mm in real money but only $8mm in terms of capspace. It's why Morey will have to include a sweetener to use them in trades, like trying to get Melo.

As for Gallo, we don't have the luxury of gambling on a guy coming off knee surgery. You get what you pay for, and I'd rather keep our powder dry for a guy without the worrisome downside.

Chandler is solid and gives us size at the three but I doubt we could get him at a price that makes sense for us.

Comment

Hahahahahah, I don't know what some fans here think. Novak who has not seen a floor on months for a 27 year old W.C !!! Reality people, Reality

Comment

• Raptors director of scouting Dan Tolzman:

You want to see how are these guys going to fit with the chemistry of our team. I think that was one of the biggest positives of our team, the chemistry. One of the last things we’d ever want to do is mess that up.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...014-nba-draft/

Comment

• I say we sign Danny Granger to a 1M contract with a team option for 2M in the second year, plus incentives based on games played. If there's a way we can make him hang out with the boys, shoot some pool, movies, games or whatever, that'd be sweet too.

If we can't trade Hayes, Novak for a draft pick I say we just keep'em, since they don't disrupt team chemistry and that's important as well. Of course they are always avaliable to be included in a bigger deal.

Realistically, we aren't in a position to use our cap space to acquire assets unless we can determine we won't be players in the free agent market for 2015-2016.

Comment

• Stevo wrote: View Post
                          I say we sign Danny Granger to a 1M contract with a team option for 2M in the second year, plus incentives based on games played. If there's a way we can make him hang out with the boys, shoot some pool, movies, games or whatever, that'd be sweet too.

If we can't trade Hayes, Novak for a draft pick I say we just keep'em, since they don't disrupt team chemistry and that's important as well. Of course they are always avaliable to be included in a bigger deal.

Realistically, we aren't in a position to use our cap space to acquire assets unless we can determine we won't be players in the free agent market for 2015-2016.
                          Why Granger? There have been numerous stories about how he wasn't really a leader at all in Indiana. He's nothing special at this point. Can contribute a bit offensively but totally useless defensively. And not likely to have a positive impact on chemistry which is already great in our locker room.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Why Granger? There have been numerous stories about how he wasn't really a leader at all in Indiana. He's nothing special at this point. Can contribute a bit offensively but totally useless defensively. And not likely to have a positive impact on chemistry which is already great in our locker room.
                            I think it's a decent gamble, a win-win situation for both sides. We don't need Granger for his leadership per say, but the aforementioned salary, we get a professional player that has had the experience of being a first offensive option on a playoff team, and still not so old in actual years just injury prone. That experience could be beneficial to Ross, DD, and even Lowry.

Granger benefits too. He was relegated this season from rotation player to spare part to not a viable NBA player and I do remember him once complaining, nor can we forget his injury. This contract would give him a chance to re-establish himself as atleast a rotation player on a winning team, and our SF position is just average so he would get oppourtunities.

As for the locker room presence, I just love the fact that he's viewed as a professional; no whining or creating drama, like a blue-collar NBA player kind of mentality. I can't confirm that; I just remember reading about it in an article sometime after the playoffs begin on a Philly website.

The one con would be he could be taking up playing time from players we need to develop or continue to develop, like Ross or our draft pick.

For all that is stated though, I think the positives outweigh the one negative.

Comment

• Granger could probably average double digits if healthy. In LAC, he scored 8 with 2 rebounds in 16 mpg on 43%. The last time he was healthy, he was 18 and 5 and 41 from the field in 33. If he played 22 for us (exact number as Salmons) and stayed healthy, I see him averaging 10-12. Plus I think with him we're more likely to make the 2nd or 3rd round.
                              @Boymusic66

Comment

• I just don't really see positives to Granger. He can shoot....That's about all he can do effectively at this point.

He's struggled with health. His D has fallen off a cliff because of health issues. He will want minutes and won't be happy if he isn't getting them. He doesn't really move the needle at all IMO. Just takes up a roster spot to a guy who may just start to complain if he isn't getting the burn he's hoping for to help revitalize his career.

Wouldn't be a big gamble or anything, but it's beyond low priority as a move. If he's still around after the first couple of weeks of free agency, sure, call him up and see what he's looking for. But this team needs other things more.

Comment

Working...
                                X