Trading the 20th pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading the 20th pick?

All this draft talk yet no one seems to suggest trading the pick outright for a player. Who would you take back in a trade?

Personally I'd like to see that Raps approach the Spurs about Cory Joseph. The hometown kid only gets run in blowouts so his numbers are inflated, but they're still appealing. Plus there was that dunk on Ibaka
    http://nba.si.com/2014/05/27/cory-jo...spurs-thunder/

Ranking of guards in WS/48 with the criteria Age < 25, USG% > 15, and Minutes Played > 500:
    1. Curry
    2. Harden
    3. Westbrook
    4. Mills
    5. Lillard
    6. I. Thomas
    7. Joseph
    8. DeRozan
    9. Bledsoe
    10. Stephenson
    11. Irving
    12. Wall
    13. K. Thompson
    14. Rubio
    15. R. Jackson

I should really point out that the previous year's list included Beverley, Orlando Johnson, Darren Collison, and Augustin, and the year before that had Bayless and Stuckey, so it's by no means a guarantee. But the kid has talent and he's been groomed for three under the Spurs. At only 22 years old he seems worthy of a #20 pick to me. Good for both sides? Who says no? Is there anyone else you would target?

red monkey wrote: View Post
    All this draft talk yet no one seems to suggest trading the pick outright for a player. Who would you take back in a trade?

Personally I'd like to see that Raps approach the Spurs about Cory Joseph. The hometown kid only gets run in blowouts so his numbers are inflated, but they're still appealing. Plus there was that dunk on Ibaka
    http://nba.si.com/2014/05/27/cory-jo...spurs-thunder/

Ranking of guards in WS/48 with the criteria Age < 25, USG% > 15, and Minutes Played > 500:
    1. Curry
    2. Harden
    3. Westbrook
    4. Mills
    5. Lillard
    6. I. Thomas
    7. Joseph
    8. DeRozan
    9. Bledsoe
    10. Stephenson
    11. Irving
    12. Wall
    13. K. Thompson
    14. Rubio
    15. R. Jackson

I should really point out that the previous year's list included Beverley, Orlando Johnson, Darren Collison, and Augustin, and the year before that had Bayless and Stuckey, so it's by no means a guarantee. But the kid has talent and he's been groomed for three under the Spurs. At only 22 years old he seems worthy of a #20 pick to me. Good for both sides? Who says no? Is there anyone else you would target?
    I don't think spurs do that deal though! We might will have to include JV and our 2015,2016,2018 first round unprotected. Not sure I am willing to do that. But based on ur WS/48 and that dunk(!) it seems well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now I know that this response was aspirational

Comment

It is quite possible that MU may have already tried to get Joseph (instead of Nando). I read that Mills could be heir to Parker and Joseph the backup...they like them both. And no, I would not trade the 20th for Joseph with our team as is and hoping Lowry and GV are back. As you know this is a deep draft not quite comparable with recent past drafts whose 20th position may not have had the player quality available this year. MU has been known to find/recognize talent at that number so with this being his first draft here and the possibility of moving up thru a package/trade to a higher position I am hoping we could do much better. Besides our pressing needs are SF & PF so unless an Ennis is available those are probable positions that could be drafted.

Comment

Trading the 20th pick for Corey Joseph.....................

No... heavens no.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post

No... heavens no.
            Exactly my reaction.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

players I would trade the 20th pick for: Harrison Barnes.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

How about we just draft someone with the pick or move up and draft someone? I'm not trading it for a prospect on another team unless I know for sure that guy us better than anyone on the board... Which I can't know for sure.

Tired of this BC era bullshit of trading out of drafts. Let's get some of our own prospects and stash/develop them.

Comment

How about we just draft someone with the pick or move up and draft someone? I'm not trading it for a prospect on another team unless I know for sure that guy us better than anyone on the board... Which I can't know for sure.

Tired of this BC era bullshit of trading out of drafts. Let's get some of our own prospects and stash/develop them.
                  Agree. If the raps spend the dough on Kyle and re-up Amir on his team option that seems to signal we are in the camp of "right now". Our draft picks will likely reflect that "right now" mentality in that picks will be as NBA ready as they can be kind of guys (TJ Warren/ Adrien Payne) as opposed to long term development projects (walter tavares / clint cappeallas).

Again philosophy will be unveiled by going for need or BPA on June 26th.
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

I say we keep the pick to develop a young fella, unless Masai can get good value in a trade for the pick.

Comment

No... heavens no.
                      I think it's pretty typical to overvalue draft picks, but I also agree the Raps could lose that trade depending who was available at #20. The Raps could also trade #20 and #37 for Cory Joseph and #30.

Personally I like Cory Joseph as a player more than Patty Mills because I think Joseph has potential as a two-way player and Mills is very one-dimensional. I know you will all think I'm crazy, but I see Joseph becoming a poor man's Mike Conley Jr.

Enough about my hard-on for Joseph, if he isn't enough then where do you value the pick? You could look at successful players around the #20 range in recent years but those players have already hit the target and they would demand a pick much better pick than #20? These are players like Reggie Jackson, Sullinger, Mason Plumlee, Tim Hardaway Jr., Faried, Mirotic, Lawson, Jeff Teague, etc.

A good comparison is George Hill, who was drafted 26th in 2008. He was developed in the Spurs system and then traded for the 15th pick in 2011 when the Spurs had their guy fall to Indiana (Kawhi Leonard). The Spurs loved George Hill (and rightfully so) but they wanted Kawhi Leonard more.

I think the Raps will re-sign KL and GV, but don't forget that Vasquez has played nearly as much SG (40%) and SF (8%) as PG (52%) in his NBA career. His time at SG and SF rises to 70% in his lone season with the Raptors. He also measured 6'5.5 without shoes at the NBA combine, which is the same height as DeRozan. GV is a gamer and I remember watching him takeover in the playoffs at Maryland. He did it again this year at times and he is an important part of our future, but he is also 27 years old and already dangerously slow on defense at this age. In 2-3 years he will be a complete sieve on that end of the court.

I know it would be playing it safe, but sometimes it is better to trade for a semi-known quantity if your target does not fall too you at the draft. If that happens then where do you value the pick? Two years ago it was Budinger for #18. I already stated where I value it and who I'd target. Clearly no one agrees with me, so name a player that would command the pick? Or are you 100% determined to hold onto it?

Comment

Now this was an answer! Thank you! And I agree with you if the right guy falls to #20.

Comment

Trading the 20th for a prospect like Harrison Barnes makes sense. Cory Joseph not so much.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                            players I would trade the 20th pick for: Harrison Barnes.
                            I'd do it. This makes much more sense than the Cory Joseph trade proposal. I'd trade the pick for Barnes IF LaVine is off the board.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                              I'd do it. This makes much more sense than the Cory Joseph trade proposal. I'd trade the pick for Barnes IF LaVine is off the board.
                              Yeah in heartbeat I would trade number 20 for Barnes. Unfotunately the GSW guys would look for more.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

Working...
                              X