Gasol to Raptors makes us a contender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah.

To sign him you need to renounce PP, GV, Lowry, and mid level exception.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      ...Actually Bynum played center and Gasol played the PF position. Odom played everything from 1-4 off the bench. Gasol would be a great option. BUT, his age scares me. He'd need to accept a significant pay cut.
      It was like 70% Gasol+Odom, 30% Gasol+Bynum. Center was Gasol's better position. And now he's lost a step.

I don't think it's a great idea to put Gasol at PF at this point in his career. Unless it's next to someone like prime Varejao or Al Horford who can bang with centers if necessary but who's more like a PF.

It's a waste to pay someone like Gasol his market price and then use him in a way where he won't be at his best.

Or maybe Casey would make Jonas Gasol's backup. Who knows.

Comment

There is no WAY that Gasol will come to Toronto at this stage of his career. Case Closed.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          It was like 70% Gasol+Odom, 30% Gasol+Bynum. Center was Gasol's better position. And now he's lost a step.
          maybe for two seasons, but for the next four or five, bynum played as many or more minutes than odom. and he played with the bench unit.

Comment

Put yourself in Kyle Lowry's shoes. Pau makes sense if he will stay only if we are going to make big moves to be a serious contender. I don't like the idea of Pau on the Raptors but is the idae of him or someone like him because of Lowry?

Comment

navyblues wrote: View Post
              maybe for two seasons, but for the next four or five, bynum played as many or more minutes than odom. and he played with the bench unit.
              I only mean how Gasol's minutes where distributed. Bynum did play lots of time apart from Gasol of course. It made sense to keep Gasol and Bynum apart for long stretches and feature them in the post.

Comment

I don't know about title contender but it could potentially make us stronger. One would tend to be a little skeptical about this however, 'cause of the Hakeem O experience. It should be a harmless move though and Gasol being European might be interested. Gasol and Amir in the PF positions should be an upgrade over Amir and PP. PP can be signed and traded. A late first rounder in return is not impossible.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I think the first question you should ask is how much Gasol would have to be paid. I would imagine something like 3/30 at least. If he wants to play at a discount, there are bound to be plenty of more attractive options for him than playing PF in Toronto. So the Raptors would have to pay.

It doesn't make sense to me to sign Pau to a significant contract and play him at a position that he struggles to defend more and more every year, next to a center who's not a good shooter.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                    There is no WAY that Gasol will come to Toronto at this stage of his career. Case Closed.
                    Never say never. He's apparently in Toronto at the moment. Twitter sources (so take it for what its worth) had him having dinner in downtown Toronto last night. Soooo, the wheels might just be spinning.

Comment

Pau wants to play for a contender and has said that he likes warm weather climates.. so I don't think Toronto would be a team he'd be on his radar.

Even if he were interested he'd be in the same situation as any other top tier free agent this year: Deng, Stephenson, Monroe, Hayward, etc... we don't have the cap space assuming Lowry is back. If Lowry is gone than shouldn't we take a step back or try to get a PG instead of a PF/C?

If Pau/Lakers agreed to a sign and trade than the Raptors would have to give back assets.. again not something I'd want to do for a guy that had Vertigo last season.

Comment

maputo88 wrote: View Post
                        Put yourself in Kyle Lowry's shoes. Pau makes sense if he will stay only if we are going to make big moves to be a serious contender. I don't like the idea of Pau on the Raptors but is the idae of him or someone like him because of Lowry?
                        It is a moot point.

To sign Pau or someone like him you have to renounce Lowry..... unless they are signing for the MLE.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          It is a moot point.

To sign Pau or someone like him you have to renounce Lowry..... unless they are signing for the MLE.
                          It's possible to have both. If you let 2Pat, Vasquez and Hansbrough go, you could offer Pau around 3/30. There's also an option to stretch some players.

Feasible. I just don't think it's the best way to go.

Comment

It's possible to have both. If you let 2Pat, Vasquez and Hansbrough go, you could offer Pau around 3/30. There's also an option to stretch some players.

Feasible. I just don't think it's the best way to go.
                            True.

If you could get him in a sign and trade with LA that would be ideal.... if one was to do this.

Then you'd still have MLE and could bring back Patterson.

I'd still pass.

Comment

I think the first question you should ask is how much Gasol would have to be paid. I would imagine something like 3/30 at least. If he wants to play at a discount, there are bound to be plenty of more attractive options for him than playing PF in Toronto. So the Raptors would have to pay.

It doesn't make sense to me to sign Pau to a significant contract and play him at a position that he struggles to defend more and more every year, next to a center who's not a good shooter.

He would consider himself very lucky if he got 3/30 and whoever signs him to that sort of a deal would be making a big mistake. 2/10-12 sounds reasonable and Raps. should not pay any more.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                                He would consider himself very lucky if he got 3/30 and whoever signs him to that sort of a deal would be making a big mistake. 2/10-12 sounds reasonable and Raps. should not pay any more.
                                5-6 mil a year? Not going to happen. He might take a midlevel to go to a contender where he gets to play his game. I don't see him considering a two year midlevel to play half his minutes out of position on this team. I think he'd be insulted by that offer, to be honest.

Me, I'd love to see him on the Mavs. That team is already so lovably weird, and Pau would make them even more fun. He fits in nicely too. They might prefer to have someone more like Tyson Chandler again but I'd be very curious to see what Carlisle could do with Pau.

Comment

Working...
                                X