Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Hansbrough will be back next year/Would you trade Salmons for Perkins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Perkins is not that good. He is not worth giving up any real asset.
    Salmons is not a real asset.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
      Salmons is not a real asset.
      I'm fully aware. That was the point of my post. Guy suggested we should do all we can to get Perkins. We shouldn't give anything up beyond Salmons.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jun 13, 2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I'm fully aware. That was the point of my post. Guy suggested we should do all we can to get Perkins. We shouldn't give anything up beyond Salmons.
        Hayes?
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

What is Hansbrough's contract situation for next season? Guaranteed? TO? PO?

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            What is Hansbrough's contract situation for next season? Guaranteed? TO? PO?
            Only 1M guaranteed, but he has to be waived by the end of June or it goes fully guaranteed.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Couldn't Salmons be considered an asset from the standpoint of his contract has a buyout clause that appeals to a team needing to dump salary to get under the salary cap?

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Only 1M guaranteed, but he has to be waived by the end of June or it goes fully guaranteed.
                Doesn't that put the front office in a bit of a quandary? I fully expect Mr. Ujiri will extend qualifying offers to Vasquez and Patterson, but if he gets outbid for Patrick after July 1st, then the team will need Hansbrough. On the other hand, the team cannot afford to keep three quality power forwards, even if Tyler usually plays out of position at centre, coming in for Valanciunas.

They can't sign Lowry until July 1st, either, and money that would go to Hansbrough is needed to pay for their #1 priority. If they had an agreement in principle, then Mr. Ujiri might be able to make an decision on Hansbrough. I thought Tyler might have been traded already; the probabilities go up as we get closer to draft day, now less than two weeks away.

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
                  Doesn't that put the front office in a bit of a quandary? I fully expect Mr. Ujiri will extend qualifying offers to Vasquez and Patterson, but if he gets outbid for Patrick after July 1st, then the team will need Hansbrough. On the other hand, the team cannot afford to keep three quality power forwards, even if Tyler usually plays out of position at centre, coming in for Valanciunas.

They can't sign Lowry until July 1st, either, and money that would go to Hansbrough is needed to pay for their #1 priority. If they had an agreement in principle, then Mr. Ujiri might be able to make an decision on Hansbrough. I thought Tyler might have been traded already; the probabilities go up as we get closer to draft day, now less than two weeks away.
                  He can't be outbid for Patterson. He can keep him no matter what the other offers are.

I fully expect both Salmons and Hansbrough to be either traded or waived come June 30th. Any trades are likely to happen draft night - most outside of the deadline do.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    Couldn't Salmons be considered an asset from the standpoint of his contract has a buyout clause that appeals to a team needing to dump salary to get under the salary cap?
                    Yes, he could, but only to a select few teams. HOU and CHI in particular, as they are starting into the Melo bidding war now that he appears to be opting out of NY.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

He can't be outbid for Patterson. He can keep him no matter what the other offers are.
                      According to the NBA, "For a team to make one of their players a restricted free agent, they must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. This offer must be a one year offer for 125% of the player's previous salary or the player's minimum salary plus $175,000 (whichever is greater). If a player agrees to this offer, they play under a one-year contract and become an unrestricted free agent the following year. If not, he becomes a restricted free agent."

If Patterson signs the qualifying offer before June 30--and so far that has not happened--then he stays with Toronto. In that case, you are right. Otherwise, he becomes a restricted free agent. If that happens, Toronto has to match any other offers in order to keep him on the roster:

"An unrestricted free agent is able to sign with any team he chooses while a restricted free agent's original team has the chance to keep the player by matching the offer sheet signed with another team. This is known as the 'right of first refusal.'"

I mention all this because Hansbrough's status with the team very much depends on what the front office plans are for Johnson and Patterson. If the qualifying offer is made, and Patterson signs, then Tyler will likely have to find a better place for his talents. Everyone just assumes he will be gone, and I agree, but there are a lot of considerations to take into account.

Comment

According to the NBA, "For a team to make one of their players a restricted free agent, they must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. This offer must be a one year offer for 125% of the player's previous salary or the player's minimum salary plus $175,000 (whichever is greater). If a player agrees to this offer, they play under a one-year contract and become an unrestricted free agent the following year. If not, he becomes a restricted free agent."

If Patterson signs the qualifying offer before June 30--and so far that has not happened--then he stays with Toronto. In that case, you are right. Otherwise, he becomes a restricted free agent. If that happens, Toronto has to match any other offers in order to keep him on the roster:

"An unrestricted free agent is able to sign with any team he chooses while a restricted free agent's original team has the chance to keep the player by matching the offer sheet signed with another team. This is known as the 'right of first refusal.'"

I mention all this because Hansbrough's status with the team very much depends on what the front office plans are for Johnson and Patterson. If the qualifying offer is made, and Patterson signs, then Tyler will likely have to find a better place for his talents. Everyone just assumes he will be gone, and I agree, but there are a lot of considerations to take into account.
                        Yeah, but my point is, there is no scenario where the Raptors are unable to bring Patterson back. And they want to. So he will be back, unless he gets a ridiculous offer (and even in the event he gets overpaid, I'd expect him back, based on Ujiri's history). Hansbrough is completely expendable. Patterson will not sign a qualifying offer - he'll either negotiate with TOR and sign a new deal, or sign an offer sheet with another team wherein the Raptors will match. Either way, he's locked in for the Raptors for several years.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah, but my point is, there is no scenario where the Raptors are unable to bring Patterson back. And they want to. So he will be back, unless he gets a ridiculous offer (and even in the event he gets overpaid, I'd expect him back, based on Ujiri's history). Hansbrough is completely expendable. Patterson will not sign a qualifying offer - he'll either negotiate with TOR and sign a new deal, or sign an offer sheet with another team wherein the Raptors will match. Either way, he's locked in for the Raptors for several years.
                          You don't think he will get overpaid and we don't match? I could see that happening.
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                            You don't think he will get overpaid and we don't match? I could see that happening.
                            Possible but very unlikely. He doesn't have a lot of value around the league - and teams are hesitant to sign RFA's if they don't think they are difference makers, as that means tying up cap space for 3 days while other teams sign the rest of the market away, and the other team might match anyway. Typically teams shoot for RFA's that are on teams that are cash-strapped (TOR is in no way in this position) or for RFA's that are near-max guys with a max offer to see if their team blinks at the total cost. Neither situation really applies to Patterson, and there are much bigger fish out there this summer for teams to go after.

I see that as much more likely for Vasquez than Patterson, and even in his case it's unlikely.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

HoopsHype has Patterson listed at #12 among power forwards. Only three of the guys ranked above him, Josh McRoberts, Jordan Hill, and Ed Davis, make less than $4 million per year. I think Hansbrough is a better player than McRoberts, having seen both of them play in Indiana.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/pow...wards_2014.htm

Hansbrough is not listed yet, since he is still under contract.

Comment

HoopsHype has Patterson listed at #12 among power forwards. Only three of the guys ranked above him, Josh McRoberts, Jordan Hill, and Ed Davis, make less than $4 million per year. I think Hansbrough is a better player than McRoberts, having seen both of them play in Indiana.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/pow...wards_2014.htm

Hansbrough is not listed yet, since he is still under contract.
                                surpirsed theyve got davis above patterson, i think we all know whos better. I guess this shows pattersons underattedness, dude hit a game winning shot and hes ranked below ed 'nocrunchtimeminutes' davis? Wierd
                                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X