Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Umm what... yes there is.

Impossible means it has a 0% chance of happening. If something has like a 0.0001% chance of happening then yes it is close to or borderline impossible. Not sure what your point is here.
    I get the math here, it makes sense. But speaking from an English perspective (grammatically) you can't have borderline impossible. Impossible means that there is no chance of something happening. It can not possibly occur. Therefore, if there's even a slight POSSIBILITY of it happening (even 0.00000000000000001% chance) it isn't impossible.

Or as our friends at Adidas would tell you, impossible is nothing.
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
      I get the math here, it makes sense. But speaking from an English perspective (grammatically) you can't have borderline impossible. Impossible means that there is no chance of something happening. It can not possibly occur. Therefore, if there's even a slight POSSIBILITY of it happening (even 0.00000000000000001% chance) it isn't impossible.

Or as our friends at Adidas would tell you, impossible is nothing.
      As much as I like to be the one to be annoyingly correct in terms of grammer, wheazhy is right here. Borderline means barely belonging to a group or area - in, but barely. Not barely out. If it meant barely out, iman would be justified saying borderline impossible - it would mean that 0.000001% chance you were saying. But borderline actually means just inside, and since impossible is an absolute, it makes no sense to use that phrase. Sorry Iman, I was rooting for you.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

i lobbied for lebron but after thinking about it, do we really want somebody here who says

"Follow my lead"

or do we want our franchise player to say "lets do this, we're in this together"

something to think about.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
          i lobbied for lebron but after thinking about it, do we really want somebody here who says

"Follow my lead"

or do we want our franchise player to say "lets do this, we're in this together"

I dont want those lebron bandwagoners jumping on to the raptors. Thry are by far the most annoying of any fandoms.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Does this help

A statistical impossibility is a probability that is so low as to not be worthy of mentioning. Sometimes it is quoted as 1X10^-50 although the cutoff is inherently arbitrary. Although not truly impossible the probability is low enough so as to not bear mention in a rational, reasonable argument.

Comment

"Follow my lead"

You're like the homeless guy who turns down a sirloin because he prefers filets
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                As much as I like to be the one to be annoyingly correct in terms of grammer, wheazhy is right here. Borderline means barely belonging to a group or area - in, but barely. Not barely out. If it meant barely out, iman would be justified saying borderline impossible - it would mean that 0.000001% chance you were saying. But borderline actually means just inside, and since impossible is an absolute, it makes no sense to use that phrase. Sorry Iman, I was rooting for you.
                No it doesn't.

3. on the edge of one category and verging on another: a borderline failure in the exam
                Does a borderline failure on an exam mean that you actually failed or you almost failed but still passed?

Seems like people are struggling to grasp basic English here.

EDIT: Another example, if I were to call someone a borderline idiot, I'm saying that they are DANGEROUSLY CLOSE to being an idiot but not actually one.

More definitions:

a. Verging on a given quality or condition: borderline poverty.
                If you look up the definition of the word, there is no definition that agrees with what you said in your post DanH.
                Last edited by imanshumpert; Mon Jun 23, 2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                  Does this help

A statistical impossibility is a probability that is so low as to not be worthy of mentioning. Sometimes it is quoted as 1X10^-50 although the cutoff is inherently arbitrary. Although not truly impossible the probability is low enough so as to not bear mention in a rational, reasonable argument.
                  This is also what is meant by the phrase borderline impossible. So close to being impossible that it's possibility isn't even worth discussing.

Comment

LeBron to the Toronto Raptors???

This is also what is meant by the phrase borderline impossible. So close to being impossible that it's possibility isn't even worth discussing.
                    So why are you still discussing it, 57 posts later?

Some people just don't accept being wrong
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

"Follow my lead"

Lebron is unselfish possibly to a fault, when he says "follow my lead" I think he means more effort/intensity wise, especially since in that game he was passing it very often. He's not Kobe after all.

Comment

Every time a post like this happens we become more and more like Knick and Laker fans.... Let's be try to be realistic and not pull a TFTW please

Comment

adjective
                          adjective: borderline

barely acceptable in quality or as belonging to a category; on the borderline
                          There's one! And it's the first one, too.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                            There's one! And it's the first one, too.
                            Umm that doesn't agree with what you said at all.

Comment

Umm that doesn't agree with what you said at all.
                              it actually does.

but i'd imagine borderline could mean either side of the border. this conversation is dumb
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X