Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I think Rondo is better than DeMar.. and I think Rondo will be better than DeMar in 3/4 years. We can argue about it but that's how I feel.

But I like DeMar and would never trade him for the 'sake of trading him'... but the question is who would I rather have DeMar or Rajon.. my answer would be Rajon.
    Even with the factor that Demar almost never misses games, while Rajon misses seasons?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

chico wrote: View Post
      Bold 1: Being a good playmaker is certainly a big asset to have in the game, but is hardly the only facet of a complex game that makes a player "better". Many different skills are needed in a successful team game, and if you don't have elite scorers who can make plays for themselves, you'll never go far.
      There are not enough play makers with high IQ in the league. Look at what Lowry did for us last season and I think Rajon is better than he is (when healthy). Defense also matters and RR is one of the best defending PG's in the league.

Bold 2: Does getting suspended 4 times in 11 months, 3 of them for throwing balls/chest bumping officials count in his IQ rating? Pretty selfish and team-dumb if you ask me.
      Heat of the moment dumb moments sure.. can't argue. But yes I do think he's a smart player. He knows what to do with the ball in his hands and doesn't choke up when under the spotlight. Guy has been to war and came out the other end.

Bold 3: Like getting suspended over and over, or taking a vacation in Mexico when suspended 2 games, instead of working on his game, with his team. Or showing the rest of his team how hard working and serious he is, by coming out for warmups with untied shoes and practicing his left handed FTs. A model teammate for sure.
      Yeah.. sure he may have done some of those things.. but he was still a multiple all-star, went to the finals twice and has a ring. He got help but he was also a big reason why they won. Give me a prick that knows how to win than a nice guy that doesn't any day.

Bold 4: Except when he doesn't have 3 HOFers near their peak around him.
      This is brought up a lot.. sure he had help. So did Lebron. So did Bird. So did Jordan. Are these guys not worthy of a hall of fame invite than? You can't deny that Rondo was an instrumental part of Boston's success. KG and PP were good but could never win before they got together. Not saying Rondo is a superstar.. but he's also not a scrub like you are making him out to be.

Bold 5: It might mean something if he'd shown he knows how to win without 3 HOFers around him, and with a HOF coach. He hasn't, so what has he learned from this winning? If that's such a key point to you, I'd rather a guy who never takes a day off, and who can actually stay on the court, even when he isn't suspended. In his last 4 years, Rondo:
      2010-11: missed 14 games
      2011-12: missed 13 games out of 66
      2012-13: missed 44 games
      2013-14: missed 52 games

DeMar has missed 11 games in 5 seasons
      Well Rondo tore his ACL in a freak accident. Are you including those missed games too? DeMar could have one too.. that accident was not because Rondo was out of shape. DeMar has McKechnie. How important do you think he was to DeMar's health?

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        Even with the factor that Demar almost never misses games, while Rajon misses seasons?
        Yup.. I believe in Alex McKechnie

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          Finding a shooting guard is easier than finding a point guard? I think we're watching two different sports.
          Again it goes back to who I think would be easier to pair up with. I think it would be harder to find a PG with a good IQ, can shoot the ball and can play defense (who I think you need to pair up with DD) than a 3&D SG to pair up with Rondo.

3&D players are cheap and easy to find.. actually we are developing one now.

I like the DD/KL tandem and I hope KL stays.

Comment

I think in terms of value to our team, a Rondo-DeRozan debate is pretty irrelevant unless we lose Lowry. If we keep Lowry, Rondo has close to zero value to us.

Now in a vacuum where the other 14 guys on the roster don't exist? I think I take DeRozan. I really think Rondo's impact on the floor is overstated. While he does rack up a ton of assists, he has a very high turnover rate as well. His ast%/to% rate is usually around 2:1 which isn't particularly amazing for a point guard.

Then there's the whole issue with him being incredibly inefficient as a scorer despite his low volume of shots, by virtue of having no jump-shot and being a piss-poor FT shooter.

And as was already mentioned, the injury issues over the past 4 seasons. Yes obviously the ACL has a lot to do with that, but either way it's going to be a problem going forwards and I'd rather have my guys play 75+ games a year than 40.

Comment

Sources saying Raptors are going to show interest in .... TREVOR ARIZA

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                Sources saying Raptors are going to show interest in .... TREVOR ARIZA

Source?

And if they do bring him in, Im hoping that its on an economical contract and not one that jeopardizes the Raptors chances with bring in bigger names.
                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                  Source?

And if they do bring him in, Im hoping that its on an economical contract and not one that jeopardizes the Raptors chances with bring in bigger names.

"@KevinRashidi: Source: Raptors expected to express interest in Free Agent Trevor Ariza. Story will be up tomorrow with more details."

Comment

Kevin Rashidi is less a source so much as a RealGm poster who got booted for spreading false rumours and pretending to be an insider, and took his talents to twitter instead.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Can't see MU giving out any crazy contracts, even for a position of need like Ariza who'd provide high level D and 3 point shooting
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

then again there was the Nene contract
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Deng or Ariza?

Both the same age. Deng, I believe would command a bit more, but also does a bit more than Ariza does.

Ariza is 3 & D, Deng, would be everything but the 3, lol.

What happens with TRoss if we grab one of these then? We know T-Ross isn't adept enough at creating his own shot...needs to constantly run off screens. Could benefit being 6th Man though, in place of the Salmons role.

Comment

I was intrigued by Ariza when the season ended. Then posters pointed out his history of only playing well in contract years, and I checked that out and now firmly don't want him at all.

I'd rather pursue Marvin Williams, Aminu and PJ Tucker.

Comment

I'd definitely prefer Ariza to Deng because of the shooting ability but it's still so meh. And yeh he's not exactly the most consistent performer.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Again it goes back to who I think would be easier to pair up with. I think it would be harder to find a PG with a good IQ, can shoot the ball and can play defense (who I think you need to pair up with DD) than a 3&D SG to pair up with Rondo.

3&D players are cheap and easy to find.. actually we are developing one now.

I like the DD/KL tandem and I hope KL stays.
                                Cheap? Yes, you can find more mature 3 and D guys on decent contracts. Easy to find? Where? How many of these guys are cheap 3&D guys, that you would play beside Rondo?
                                http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/sho...uards_2014.htm

Right now, it's actually easier to find point guards -- strictly talking about the open market.

Comment

Working...
                                X