Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guyroch wrote: View Post
    I twitter somebody who covers Canadian Basketball and they said expect all to most of last years roster and even guys like Celtics Kelly's and Bennet to attend .. Don't expect this years draftee's though ,
    Makes sense. I'd expect all of this years draftees to be working with their new teams all summer. Olynyk and Bennett would be nice additions. Would also like to see Sacre there since we are desperate for a true center.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
      Brazil and Argentina in last Olympics didn't medal ... Russia with no NBA starters on their team got the bronze ... Listen Canada with 4 NBA players didn't even quaify for this years worlds ..

How about this .. your country needs to develop at least one NBA allstar and you can be considered a medal favorite ..
      Brazil had Barbosa, Nene, Varejao, and Splitter.

Argentina had Scola, Ginobli, Prigioni, and Delfino.

Russia had Kirilenko, Mozgov, and Shved.

Kirilenko was certainly an NBA starter in 2012.

Good finds though. Easy to see how Canada's squad will quickly surpass those clubs talent wise. The real surge should come from Wiggins, Stauskas, and Ennis though. So 2016 will be mighty interesting if all the Canadians are on board.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        Brazil had Barbosa, Nene, Varejao, and Splitter.

Argentina had Scola, Ginobli, Prigioni, and Delfino.

Russia had Kirilenko, Mozgov, and Shved.

Kirilenko was certainly an NBA starter in 2012.

Good finds though. Easy to see how Canada's squad will quickly surpass those clubs talent wise. The real surge should come from Wiggins, Stauskas, and Ennis though. So 2016 will be mighty interesting if all the Canadians are on board.
        The thing I worry about is that the Euro and South American teams in general have players who are used to international ball rules and single-elimination tournaments, a style of competition that north american players don't get outside of college. The US has been able to overcome those obstacles through a huge talent differential, high participation rates (at least for major tournaments) and a good international program. The talent differential that the US holds should translate to 30 pt wins over every other country. But it doesn't, because of these other factors.
        Which is why I worry that NBA talent alone may not be enough to elevate Canada above some of the Euro clubs. We saw how much Nicholson - who at the FIBA Americas, could have often been the most dominant player on the court - struggle with adapting to the rules and the style of play. We may have the same weaknesses as the US, (unfamiliarity with international rules and style of play, a more gruelling regular season), without their excellent participation rates, sheer talent differential, and coaching. We have little control over the talent differential; we might get to the point of having more talent than most Euro teams, but we'll never have near the sort of advantage that the US has. Which is why the program-related stuff (coaching, participation, preparation) will be crucial.

Comment

• Think we medal in the 2020 O's. We'll have Lyles and a bunch of other NBA guys by that point.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
            Think we medal in the 2020 O's. We'll have Lyles and a bunch of other NBA guys by that point.
            Wiggins, Stauskas, Bennett, Ennis will all be in their primes as well.
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Nothing but rumours for now but if Wiggins goes to Minny, that will be too bad for the Canada Basketball training camp we would have run all season in Cleveland. On the plus side, start the clock ticking to the Raptor Wiggins.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                Wiggins, Stauskas, Bennett, Ennis will all be in their primes as well.
                Yeah it's just perfect for us really.

Comment

• Comment

• Would you guys trade DeRozan straight up for Wiggins?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                      Would you guys trade DeRozan straight up for Wiggins?

i would do it but clevland wouldnt
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• DD for Stauskas + stuff would be realistic

Comment

• An ALL STAR for draft picks? On a good contract? Straight? You guys are insane!

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            An ALL STAR for draft picks? On a good contract? Straight? You guys are insane!
                            An all star for an exact 6 year younger version of him but taller, longer, and more athletic is something you might want to consider, except that this team would take steps back with this trade unless you trade Lowry, PPatt, Vasquez, Will, etc.

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                              An all star for an exact 6 year younger version of him but taller, longer, and more athletic is something you might want to consider, except that this team would take steps back with this trade unless you trade Lowry, PPatt, Vasquez, Will, etc.

Who hasn't proven anything. Whose one year in NCAA's was a disappointment. Who is YEARS behind DeMar in his development.

Also, you think that trade would set the team back UNLESS you trade Lowry, 2PAt, Vasquez...how many years must I type the exact same things on this site? Team stability, experience and team success are all connected.

Look at the last 3 champions... SA, Miami, and Dallas. They all have vets, and had very little turnover when they won those titles. This past championships was between the 2 oldest teams in the league.

Vets with playoff experience win championships. If you can put together the Heat and have superstars that's awesome. But if you can't, the only other option is to get young talent, help them grow, retain them, get playoff experience and add bits and pieces to get over the last hurdle.

History has shown that their are only so many ways to win titles -- trading young, established talent, for rookies is not one of those ways. That's a great way to get on a treadmill to mediocrity, or rebuild. You NEVER trade one of your top 2 players for a rookie.

PLUS this is a DeMar thread not a ridiculous trade idea thread.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                Who hasn't proven anything. Whose one year in NCAA's was a disappointment. Who is YEARS behind DeMar in his development.

Also, you think that trade would set the team back UNLESS you trade Lowry, 2PAt, Vasquez...how many years must I type the exact same things on this site? Team stability, experience and team success are all connected.

Look at the last 3 champions... SA, Miami, and Dallas. They all have vets, and had very little turnover when they won those titles. This past championships was between the 2 oldest teams in the league.

Vets with playoff experience win championships. If you can put together the Heat and have superstars that's awesome. But if you can't, the only other option is to get young talent, help them grow, retain them, get playoff experience and add bits and pieces to get over the last hurdle.

History has shown that their are only so many ways to win titles -- trading young, established talent, for rookies is not one of those ways. That's a great way to get on a treadmill to mediocrity, or rebuild. You NEVER trade one of your top 2 players for a rookie.

PLUS this is a DeMar thread not a ridiculous trade idea thread.
                                DeMar didn't prove anything when we picked him, and he improved. Wiggins is a much better prospect than DeRozan was 5 years ago, don't get my wrong I love DD, he's my favorite player in the world, but who do you think will have a better career?

And I said if we were to trade for Wiggins, why keep those guys who will be in their primes without an all star like DeRozan to help them get further in the playoffs? You think Wiggins is gonna lead them to the promise land at 20 or 21? No

IF we traded DD for Wiggins, then why would we keep a 25 year old Patterson, 27 year old Vasquez, 28 year old Lowry, 26 year old Amir and waste the years of their prime where we would get no where instead of trading them for picks, young players, and rebuild with Wiggins, Ross, Bruno, Bebe, JV, and those young players/picks acquired by the trades?

I asked if we would trade Wiggins (Canadian basketball player who has to do with this thread) for DeRozan straight up. That doesn't mean I'm saying Cavs would accept, I'm just playing the game of 'who would you rather have'.

Comment

Working...
                                X