Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Right. So there's nothing in their contract saying "They Will Play in Summer League 2015". Its up the team to decide.
    And I could see where the Wolves would see value in allowing him to play at Pan Am.
    Because Summer League or not, teams can and have asked players not to participate in International Competition.

As for David Thorpe, I think that's silly. The guy is 20 years old. If he can play and wants to play, I can't see him saying "well I did play a lot of minutes".
    In light of the Paul George injury, wouldn't any NBA coach or front office guy be highly motivated to discourage a star player from playing FIBA basketball?

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
      In light of the Paul George injury, wouldn't any NBA coach or front office guy be highly motivated to discourage a star player from playing FIBA basketball?
      Didn't that only happen because of the "stantion" place in that particular gym?

Comment

Well, Indiana won't discourage George from trying out again.

The common counter is these guys will be playing some sort of basketball somewhere during the summer anyway, so having quality competition and supervision is better than them being in some random gym where you still risk injury in a worse competitive setting and with less access to quality staff if something goes wrong.

The reality is you cannot protect these guys from injuries just by sitting them out of such competitions. Any random thing can happen any time you set foot on the basketball court, which these guys do literally every day of their lives.

Comment

Fair enough, injuries do happen, yes, but until they write into contracts that they can't play (which Mark Cuban has been very vocal about doing) then the reality is that players, when given the opportunity, will want to represent their countries. In the case of Wiggins, you are right, that they could use Summer League as a pretense to keep him away from Pan Am, but seeing as how vocal he has been about wanting to play in Toronto for the Games, its all about keeping them Stars happy, right? Lol Pretty sure Lebron only played in 1 Summer League.

Comment

• Wiggins has yet to play for the Twolves in Summer League. He was a Cav last July.

Comment

Wiggins has yet to play for the Twolves in Summer League. He was a Cav last July.
              Have you ever watched the Minnesota broadcast when they play the Raps? Every commercial for tickets shows Wiggins, Wiggins, and more Wiggins.Wiggins is their star, they're trying to build their franchise around him. Wiggins has all the leverage and then some. If he wants to play for team Canada, Minnesota is going to support him, not fight him on it. That's a ridiculously stupid battle to be fighting with the player you're building around. Especially for a player who is so good already that making them play in the summer league would be an insult.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Have you ever watched the Minnesota broadcast when they play the Raps? Every commercial for tickets shows Wiggins, Wiggins, and more Wiggins.Wiggins is their star, they're trying to build their franchise around him. Wiggins has all the leverage and then some. If he wants to play for team Canada, Minnesota is going to support him, not fight him on it. That's a ridiculously stupid battle to be fighting with the player you're building around. Especially for a player who is so good already that making them play in the summer league would be an insult.
                Why call me out? Triano is saying that Wiggins may not be available for all of part of the Pan Am games.

Comment

• Thabo Sefolosha has been diagnosed with a fractured tibia and will miss the remainder of the season and playoffs, sources tell RealGM.

Players can get hurt being at a night club at 4:30 in the morning and so shit happens .. Players play in the Drew games ... Just cause Paul George gets injuried doesn't mean how teams look at FIBA games will change ... Heck Paul George is already looking forward to playing for U.S again ..

This is a players league and if Wiggins wants to play for Canada in the Pan Am games he will play ... Also how many times do rookie of the years ( which he may get ) play in the summer league the next summer .. I will guess zero ..

Nerlens Noel is unlikely to play in the Summer League this offseason, which means he won't have an opportunity to play with Joel Embiid until the preseason.

"I don't think I want to play him in the summer league," Brett Brown said of Noel. "I don't feel like the need to do that.

If teams think players will get nothing from playing in the summer league they won't send their established rookies there ..
                  Last edited by guyroch; Fri Apr 10, 2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Andrew Wiggins looks to emulate Steve Nash - “I want to make the same impact he made.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2015...ball-in-canada

Comment

• Nice read. Wiggins definitely wants to play in the Pan Am games.

Comment

• (April 1)Josh Lewenberg: Wiggins said Canada Basketball has been in touch re: this summer's Olympic qualifying tourney but will wait until offseason to figure it out Twitter @JLew1050

See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/andr....5wKJ61XC.dpuf

Comment

• Like all young guys he should take the first two of summers off of international play and work on his body and his skills.

Will pay dividends three years down the line when he plays in the NBA and in international

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            Like all young guys he should take the first two of summers off of international play and work on his body and his skills.

Will pay dividends three years down the line when he plays in the NBA and in international
                            I totally agree. The minutes he has gotten this season are crazy, in part because the Twolves suck and in part because everyone else is getting injured. I don't want to see him get seriously hurt because he wants to play internationally.

Also as you said, he needs more time dedicated to getting his body right and improving his skills.

Seems like he is eager to play for his country though. Can't really knock him for that.

Comment

• So happy he wants to play international.
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• I don't know why people feel like Wiggins is playing an incredible amount of minutes .. he's averaging 36.1 on the season .. Lebron hasn't averaged anywhere close to that until this year, his 12th in the league. LBJ averaged 39.5 as a rookie, and went on to average 42 minutes per night the next 2 seasons, and 40 for each of the 2 after that - and I'm pretty sure he represented the US at every opportunity he had.

As you can see from this list, Wiggins isn't the first Rookie to average 36+ minutes per game.

And yes, over the last 3 months he is averaging just over 38 minutes per game, but seeing from that list it still isn't unheard of; though it would put him in the same realm as John Wall, Blake Griffin, OJ Mayo (womp womp), Dame Lillard & just shy of guys like Shane Battier (LOL).
                                Last edited by Joey; Sun Apr 12, 2015, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X