Page 199 of 199 FirstFirst ... 99 149 189 197 198 199
Results 3,961 to 3,977 of 3977

Thread: Canada Basketball

Raptors Republic Superstar slaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    Isn't the purpose for a World championship to have all the best countries participating . This format is a out right joke . The top teams have their C to D playing .
    The purpose of a world championship is to make as much money for FIBA as possible so it can be distributed in the proper bribes and graft to the people running FIBA, related organizations and their assorted cronies.

2. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holly crap they lost ....Shouldn't at this stage of Canada Basketball that this type of game is an automatic win ..
    Canada has great talent at the very top but we are not deep. All you need to do is look at the names playing in this tournament to see how thin it is at the senior men's level. That will change over the next 5-10 years somewhat but I'm not sure it will matter much given the new FIBA format....

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Canada has great talent at the very top but we are not deep. All you need to do is look at the names playing in this tournament to see how thin it is at the senior men's level. That will change over the next 5-10 years somewhat but I'm not sure it will matter much given the new FIBA format....
    Yeah, but the other countries didn't send their A-lister's either (see: Bruno). I don't have a frame of reference for that tier of player on other teams, but shouldn't our B or C-squad be better than Virgin Islands A team? .

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The pool is deep of players but this was a bunch of players who had hardly no experience playing with each other and with new coach . Saying that no excuse losing to the teams they lost to this week .

Post Thanks / Like

The pool is deep of players but this was a bunch of players who had hardly no experience playing with each other and with new coach . Saying that no excuse losing to the teams they lost to this week .
    Not so sure about that. This was a couple/few years ago but I was having lunch with a guy who had recently left working with the men's national team programs and he said that (almost at every level) the drop-off from the first 15 guys or so to the next 10-15 guys was like the Grand Canyon. He was probably exaggerating a little bit but I do think the point still stands. If you were to name the top senior men's players I think you'd hit a sharp decline - and I do mean steep - somewhere around 15 if not sooner.

At the top end, we probably have talent to compete with almost anyone outside of a few teams but other countries have far more depth in terms of second and third squads....

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure about that. This was a couple/few years ago but I was having lunch with a guy who had recently left working with the men's national team programs and he said that (almost at every level) the drop-off from the first 15 guys or so to the next 10-15 guys was like the Grand Canyon. He was probably exaggerating a little bit but I do think the point still stands. If you were to name the top senior men's players I think you'd hit a sharp decline - and I do mean steep - somewhere around 15 if not sooner.

At the top end, we probably have talent to compete with almost anyone outside of a few teams but other countries have far more depth in terms of second and third squads....
    Talent is key to success but also chemistry ... Canada has played many teams in the past which it had more talent but their opposition's core has been together for years .. Give me a team of Brady Heslp's ( guys who come every time Canada calls ) and you will see success . Look at this present team it got stronger as tourney went on ...

Post Thanks / Like

Talent is key to success but also chemistry ... Canada has played many teams in the past which it had more talent but their opposition's core has been together for years .. Give me a team of Brady Heslp's ( guys who come every time Canada calls ) and you will see success . Look at this present team it got stronger as tourney went on ...
    That is telling as I don't think this team had a single tune up game. Hard to get a rhythm when all you have done is play intra-squad games while putting in your sets.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    That is telling as I don't think this team had a single tune up game. Hard to get a rhythm when all you have done is play intra-squad games while putting in your sets.
    And I bet they were playing teams that have been practicing for most of the summer together .

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure how much the other team practiced, but we do know that Brazil played a few exhibition games before the tournament.

Canada will play the Bahamas in NOvember in Nova Scotia. I am not sure if I will go to the game or not if the team does not seem better prepped for the one game.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

Raptors Republic Superstar Mess's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's not a case of lost in translation because the "brain contest winner" line is wonderful.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    I hope it's not a case of lost in translation because the "brain contest winner" line is wonderful.
    I'm pretty sure that's a correct transcript of Messina's interview

Raptors Republic Superstar Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish we'd gone hard after Messina. He's the next Pop.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Andrew Nicholson signs a 1 year contract in China ...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

Really ... When his thoughts are shared by many then maybe Patrick Baumann should think about listening and not about scheduling ...

The goal of World Championships is determine who has the best basketball power and not who has the best 3rd tier group of players .

Page 199 of 199 FirstFirst ... 99 149 189 197 198 199

Thread Information