Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octothorp wrote: View Post
    The thing I worry about is that the Euro and South American teams in general have players who are used to international ball rules and single-elimination tournaments, a style of competition that north american players don't get outside of college. The US has been able to overcome those obstacles through a huge talent differential, high participation rates (at least for major tournaments) and a good international program. The talent differential that the US holds should translate to 30 pt wins over every other country. But it doesn't, because of these other factors.
    Which is why I worry that NBA talent alone may not be enough to elevate Canada above some of the Euro clubs. We saw how much Nicholson - who at the FIBA Americas, could have often been the most dominant player on the court - struggle with adapting to the rules and the style of play. We may have the same weaknesses as the US, (unfamiliarity with international rules and style of play, a more gruelling regular season), without their excellent participation rates, sheer talent differential, and coaching. We have little control over the talent differential; we might get to the point of having more talent than most Euro teams, but we'll never have near the sort of advantage that the US has. Which is why the program-related stuff (coaching, participation, preparation) will be crucial.
    Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball.

Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• kopite91 wrote: View Post
      Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball....
      Hope a lot of them play together this summer. I understand the recent draftees might not be there but it would be nice if they could be. I'm hoping watching the Canadian team play international ball this summer will be a better experience than watching summer league play with the Raptors...

On a side note, nice to see the expanded coverage of summer league and international ball. 5-10 years ago you couldn't see a lot of this stuff. Tip of the hat to NBATV Canada and the Cable Sports Channels

Comment

Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball.

That is just the built in excuse if we do poorly, and I think it's bullshit. Pretty much everyone on team Canada played for team Canada junior teams growing up (Wiggins, Ennis, Bennett, Olynyk, etc....), so they all already have experience in that rule set. Also, it's still basketball, it's not that much different. Fucking Mexico won the America's last summer, with one fringe NBA talent and a team full of guys who don't play in Europe. No reason a team Canada with the talent we should have now doesn't steamroll every team in those America's tournaments.

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
          DeMar didn't prove anything when we picked him, and he improved. Wiggins is a much better prospect than DeRozan was 5 years ago, don't get my wrong I love DD, he's my favorite player in the world, but who do you think will have a better career?

And I said if we were to trade for Wiggins, why keep those guys who will be in their primes without an all star like DeRozan to help them get further in the playoffs? You think Wiggins is gonna lead them to the promise land at 20 or 21? No

IF we traded DD for Wiggins, then why would we keep a 25 year old Patterson, 27 year old Vasquez, 28 year old Lowry, 26 year old Amir and waste the years of their prime where we would get no where instead of trading them for picks, young players, and rebuild with Wiggins, Ross, Bruno, Bebe, JV, and those young players/picks acquired by the trades?

I asked if we would trade Wiggins (Canadian basketball player who has to do with this thread) for DeRozan straight up. That doesn't mean I'm saying Cavs would accept, I'm just playing the game of 'who would you rather have'.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          Yes, DeMar hadn't proven anything as a rookie, but he has now. My point is that the team as currently constructed, can't wait for Wiggins to pique. Trading DeMar for Wiggins sets the team back years, and puts leadership responsibilities on a kid who has never displayed those qualities.

Also, I disagree that Andrew is a better prospect than DeMar was. Does he have more hype? More potential? Sure. But DeMar did more for USC than Wiggins did for Kansas.

Do I think Wiggins will become a better player than DeMar? Yes. But you don't build a team with excellent personal chemistry, create a culture, start winning, and then trade your best player. That would kill a locker room. It would set back the team by years.

The best thing for basketball in Canada is a Toronto Raptors that is consistently in the playoffs, that at some point has a legit shot at a title, and changes the media landscape of how basketball is reported. I don't care where the players are from.

Do I want Wiggins to one day wear a Raptors uniform? Yes. But not at the expense of destroying what is being built here.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Yes, DeMar hadn't proven anything as a rookie, but he has now. My point is that the team as currently constructed, can't wait for Wiggins to pique. Trading DeMar for Wiggins sets the team back years, and puts leadership responsibilities on a kid who has never displayed those qualities.

Also, I disagree that Andrew is a better prospect than DeMar was. Does he have more hype? More potential? Sure. But DeMar did more for USC than Wiggins did for Kansas.

Do I think Wiggins will become a better player than DeMar? Yes. But you don't build a team with excellent personal chemistry, create a culture, start winning, and then trade your best player. That would kill a locker room. It would set back the team by years.

The best thing for basketball in Canada is a Toronto Raptors that is consistently in the playoffs, that at some point has a legit shot at a title, and changes the media landscape of how basketball is reported. I don't care where the players are from.

Do I want Wiggins to one day wear a Raptors uniform? Yes. But not at the expense of destroying what is being built here.
            Exactly what I was saying when if we were to trade for him he wouldn't fit with the team.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              That is just the built in excuse if we do poorly, and I think it's bullshit. Pretty much everyone on team Canada played for team Canada junior teams growing up (Wiggins, Ennis, Bennett, Olynyk, etc....), so they all already have experience in that rule set. Also, it's still basketball, it's not that much different. Fucking Mexico won the America's last summer, with one fringe NBA talent and a team full of guys who don't play in Europe. No reason a team Canada with the talent we should have now doesn't steamroll every team in those America's tournaments.
              I think it's less about the game and more about the officiating. I remember seeing a documentary about the Jamaica- Canada invitational and how the games got chippy and the kids learnt pretty quick that lots of things aren't called. Games are a lot more physical and you need to have good mental strength to cope with the officiating. NBA players have pre-established relationships with the refs and their abilities to work with refs dictate how they check their man. Communicating with international referees is difficult and these refs won't necessarily "make-up" calls if they make mistakes. They don't care since they'll probably never see you again while in the NBA, you're likely to run into the same ref 5-10 games down the road.

Plus a lot of the Spanish, Lithuanian, French, American, Argentinian players work out together during the offseason and they have that built-in on-court chemistry. I'm not sure Heslip works out with Anthony or Sacre works out with Tristan... in contrast, most of the American stars like Harden, Durant, DD, Gay, Chris Paul, Kevin Love, Brandon Jennings play a lot of pickup ball in the summer and in the Drew League. I remember seeing this Grantland Derozan interview where he talks about how Chris Paul organizes a "secret" pickup game of sorts where he gets 20 of the best NBA players to scrimmage at some secret, last-minute location like the UCLA gym or the Clippers facility. Plus a lot of them have come up together in AAU ball and college. A lot of the Canadian guys have come up different paths to get to where they are.

Comment

• An article on the men's national team and their upcoming European tour in the Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/20...-the-long-haul

NBAers Kelly Olynyk (Boston), Andrew Nicholson (Orlando), Cory Joseph (San Antonio) and Dwight Powell (Cleveland) were in camp Sunday and two more NBA prospects (Melvin Ejim and Jordan Bachynski) will arrive once done at Summer League in Las Vegas, but Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Tristan Thompson, Nik Stauskas and Tyler Ennis likely will not attend.
                Kudos to those signing on for the trip. Looking at the schedule Canada should be good for a three or four wins.

CANADA’S SCHEDULE

Canada did not qualify for the World Cup in Spain later this summer, but the senior men will still play 11 exhibition games in order to get some much-needed experience ahead of Olympic qualifying next August.

July 24 vs. Slovenia (at Slovenia)

July 25 vs. Ukraine (at Slovenia)

July 26 vs. Georgia (at Slovenia)

August 1 vs. Croatia (at Croatia)

August 2 vs. Croatia (at Croatia)

August 3 vs. Serbia (at Italy)

August 4 vs. Italy (at Italy)

August 5 vs. Bosnia (at Italy)

August 6 vs. Spain (at Spain)

August 10 vs. Turkey (at Spain)

August 12 vs. Angola (at Spain)

Comment

• Any knowledge of whether the games will be broadcast or not? Last couple of years the sports channels have been pretty good about showing Canadian National teams in international play.

Comment

• NBAers Kelly Olynyk (Boston), Andrew Nicholson (Orlando), Cory Joseph (San Antonio) and Dwight Powell (Cleveland) were in camp Sunday and two more NBA prospects (Melvin Ejim and Jordan Bachynski) will arrive once done at Summer League in Las Vegas, but Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Tristan Thompson, Nik Stauskas and Tyler Ennis likely will not attend.

Comment

• scroll forward to 3:15

scroll forward to 1:29

And now apparently we don't want enough lol!
                      Last edited by kopite91; Tue Jul 22, 2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Jordan Bachynski Centre
                        Jordan Baker Forward
                        Junior Cadougan Guard
                        Melvin Ejim Forward
                        Carl English Guard
                        Brady Heslip Guard
                        Cory Joseph Guard
                        Owen Klassen Forward
                        Andrew Nicholson Forward
                        Kelly Olynyk Forward
                        Dwight Powell Forward
                        Robert Sacre Centre
                        Philip Scrubb Guard
                        Thomas Scrubb Guard
                        Jevohn Shepherd Guard

Roster going to Europe .. No Kendel for first time in a long time

Comment

• Good Sacre is playing this time. He skipped out last year.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

scroll forward to 3:15

scroll forward to 1:29

And now apparently we don't want enough lol!
                            Dude has no clue what he's talking about. So are Steve Nash and Tristan Thompson considered laid back? last time i checked Steve Nash was a Two time MVP and one of the best PG's in NBA History, and Tristan Thompson completely remodeled his shooting and switched shooting hands!
                            Well if they are laid back and can achieve that, then imagine if they weren't laid back lol

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                              Good Sacre is playing this time. He skipped out last year.
                              Other then last year he has put in alot of summers .. Him and Olynyk

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                                Jordan Bachynski Centre
                                Jordan Baker Forward
                                Junior Cadougan Guard
                                Melvin Ejim Forward
                                Carl English Guard
                                Brady Heslip Guard
                                Cory Joseph Guard
                                Owen Klassen Forward
                                Andrew Nicholson Forward
                                Kelly Olynyk Forward
                                Dwight Powell Forward
                                Robert Sacre Centre
                                Philip Scrubb Guard
                                Thomas Scrubb Guard
                                Jevohn Shepherd Guard

Roster going to Europe .. No Kendel for first time in a long time
                                Triano said that they told Joel Anthony to stay at home as this trip is with a developmental squad. Maybe it was the same with Levon.

Sportsnet.ca is saying that there is a chance still for Wiggins to join the team in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                X