Sac Kings need their own thread -- and potentially need a reality tv show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sac Kings need their own thread -- and potentially need a reality tv show

Seriously. First they recruit Gay to opt in. Then they crowd source their draft pick:

AND NOW they want Josh Smith:

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the Pistons have engaged the Sacramento Kings in trade discussions this week that would potentially land Josh Smith in the same Sacramento frontcourt as DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...sh-smith-trade

This is amazing. I WANT A SACRAMENTO KINGS REALITY SHOW! Just wow.

I think the owner is really the GM @ the Kings. I cant see DAllessandro who was MU's right hand man in Denver going off the rails like this. The Josh Smith talk is insane.

Comment

I got a completely opposite vibe so far. The new Kings owner looks like a very ambitious owner who is full of ideas and genuinely wants them to be much better. It also seems that he's willing to go into tax. I'm sure he'll make a few mistakes along the way, but I think he's going to be one of the best owners.

I thought that the draft crowdsourcing thing was a brilliant PR move. No different than when Cuban wanted to do fan tryouts and sign one of them for camp.

Gay "recruitment" was nothing but positive. If they didn't "recruit" him, do you think he opts out? No chance in hell. He would've opted in either way. So they simply made him feel welcome.

Josh Smith trade, obviously that's risky. You bring a knucklehead chucker to a team that already has both knuckleheads and chuckers. But Josh Smith is also a very talented player who brings rim protection, which they could really use at PF position. They were a very nice offensive team last year but had a terrible defense. I think they'd be ok with some bad shots if they get defense in return. I think Josh Smith the player is a nice upgrade for them. The biggest concern for them IMO is Smith's character. But it's not like they should run away no matter the price. There's a lot to like. So it depends on the price.

And the article says Jason Thompson+Derrick Williams for Josh Smith? That's not bad at all. The article even says that it might be Jason Thompson + Carl Landry for Josh Smith. I don't know why the Pistons would take Jason Thompson + Carl Landry, they would barely save any money and lose talent. It makes no damn sense to me. But at that price, the Kings just have to take him.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
        I got a completely opposite vibe so far. The new Kings owner looks like a very ambitious owner who is full of ideas and genuinely wants them to be much better. It also seems that he's willing to go into tax. I'm sure he'll make a few mistakes along the way, but I think he's going to be one of the best owners.

I thought that the draft crowdsourcing thing was a brilliant PR move. No different than when Cuban wanted to do fan tryouts and sign one of them for camp.

Gay "recruitment" was nothing but positive. If they didn't "recruit" him, do you think he opts out? No chance in hell. He would've opted in either way. So they simply made him feel welcome.

Josh Smith trade, obviously that's risky. You bring a knucklehead chucker to a team that already has both knuckleheads and chuckers. But Josh Smith is also a very talented player who brings rim protection, which they could really use at PF position. They were a very nice offensive team last year but had a terrible defense. I think they'd be ok with some bad shots if they get defense in return. I think Josh Smith the player is a nice upgrade for them. The biggest concern for them IMO is Smith's character. But it's not like they should run away no matter the price. There's a lot to like. So it depends on the price.

And the article says Jason Thompson+Derrick Williams for Josh Smith? That's not bad at all. The article even says that it might be Jason Thompson + Carl Landry for Josh Smith. I don't know why the Pistons would take Jason Thompson + Carl Landry, they would barely save any money and lose talent. It makes no damn sense to me. But at that price, the Kings just have to take him.
        You obviously have a glass-half-full opinion of Smith. I had a similar opinion of him during his Hawk days. No doubt a wonderful talent but as you mentioned it's his head. To be fair he and his teams have not figured out if he is a PF or SF but it is his lack of focus/discipline/consistency which is problematic imo. It says a lot that Van Gundy is willing to let him go for the names mentioned while not having settled the Monroe situation. Ranadive may have his heart in the right place but he should really leave core basketball decisions to his basketball people (of course I am assuming that getting "failed high priced stars" is not what his gm would do).

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          You obviously have a glass-half-full opinion of Smith. I had a similar opinion of him during his Hawk days. No doubt a wonderful talent but as you mentioned it's his head. To be fair he and his teams have not figured out if he is a PF or SF but it is his lack of focus/discipline/consistency which is problematic imo. It says a lot that Van Gundy is willing to let him go for the names mentioned while not having settled the Monroe situation. Ranadive may have his heart in the right place but he should really leave core basketball decisions to his basketball people (of course I am assuming that getting "failed high priced stars" is not what his gm would do).
          Well, Josh Smith is a glass-half-full player. And they'd get him for a glass full of shit. The Landry+Thompson trade is especially ridiculous, both are backup caliber players, and they make almost the same as Smith for these 3 years (in year 3 Thompson can be cut to save part of his salary). Also, Landry will be in his mid-30s at the end of his contract.

Josh Smith is an interesting player. He had some very good near all star seasons, and his pick and roll big-to-big combo with Al Horford was very effective. I could see something very similar with Smith-Cousins offensively, as Cousins has every offensive skill that Horford has and more. And Smith is one of the best possible fits for that team on the defensive end.

Comment

Looks like this guy likes to gamble. All this can't play out much worse than the past ten years...

Comment

Kings have another Canadian!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...n-and-analysis
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                Sacramento just keeps giving us gold.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0mQ...antlandNetwork

Ranadive definitely looks like he's in charge.

They picked up Sim Bhullar too, and Nick Wiggins (Andrew's older brother).

Very interested to see if they make a play for Rondo, but now that the draft is over I doubt it.

Comment

Maybe add the Pistons to this show, they just signed Jodie Meeks to a 3 year/$19 million deal.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Maybe add the Pistons to this show, they just signed Jodie Meeks to a 3 year/$19 million deal.
                      What. The. Fuck.
                      who the hell pays 19 mill for Jodie Meeks?

Comment

Bhullar to the Kings makes too much sense. Bhullar being of Indian descent, has always said he wants to be an inspiration for other Indian players. Ranadive is the man who can make that happen over anyone. Really happy for him.
                        I guess Bachynski will be playing for the Hornets Summer League as well. Good to see our big guys getting the looks the should be.

Comment

Hah. So they got rid of Dumars and replaced him with another GM who has no sense of financial responsibility. Only the new GM has never won a championship and actually has no experience as a GM at all. Profit.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                            Bhullar to the Kings makes too much sense. Bhullar being of Indian descent, has always said he wants to be an inspiration for other Indian players. Ranadive is the man who can make that happen over anyone. Really happy for him.
                            I guess Bachynski will be playing for the Hornets Summer League as well. Good to see our big guys getting the looks the should be.
                            I thought he refused offer from Kings?

His body will start breakdown very fast here...and on small contracts.. sucks. he can get paid in Europe much more right now.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                              I thought he refused offer from Kings?

His body will start breakdown very fast here...and on small contracts.. sucks. he can get paid in Europe much more right now.
                              Did the Kings offer him guaranteed minimum? Or just an invite to camp?

Euro teams don't pay NCAA guys much, based on numbers I've seen over years. There's an occasional Nick Calathes who gets seven figures (but he was on Greek national team, so that helped). But generally NCAA guys don't get paid a lot.

Maybe he'd get 50 or 100k a year but he would have to prove himself and work his way up. Euro teams do seem to overpay players with any NBA experience. So if he can just make an NBA team and spend a season on the roster, get a few garbage minutes, that would be a great career move.
                              Last edited by BobLoblaw; Tue Jul 1, 2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X