Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
    Out with the Leafs mentality, in with the Red Wings mentality. How Detroit has managed to draft so well and develop talent over the last 20 years is amazing (as well as signing big name guys).
    Wings are like the spurs of the nhl

Comment

• Just for the people who don't get why people are still high on Bruno (or just think he's plain trash); should definitely read this article on the guy. I watched a majority of his games with the 905 this season and the growth was VERY noticeable between his first game and his last game.

For a player with such limited experience, Caboclo showcases incredible defensive fundamentals. Looking past his ability to make the big block or steal, Caboclo showcases tremendous defensive awareness. Caboclo was able to quickly recognize where he was on the court and what he needed to do. That awareness was evident as Mermuys was comfortable with implementing Caboclo as the team's free safety, allowing him to create all kinds of chaos. Those risks paid off, as opponents average 5 points per 100 possessions less when Caboclo was on the court (103.1) compared to when he was on the bench (108.7).

[...]

Caboclo's still definitely a work in progress but I don't think even the most hopeful person would expect him to already be this solid. Caboclo's sheer ability to stand out as one of the NBADL's best forwards in 2015-16 is a huge accomplishment. In a span of 12 months, Caboclo went from getting DNP's with the Mad Ants to averaging 16.7 points and 7.6 boards post All-Star break.
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        Naw, Bruno got drafted for the same reason so many NBA players get drafted - freakish physical tools and athleticism. It's the same reason hockey scouts are more interested in a kid's foot size than his ppg at a certain age. They care less about who's scoring the hat trick against 15 year olds (although that matters) than they do about figuring out which of these kids might end up being 6'4" and 220 lbs. I'll tell you that pisses off the parents of the undersized kid leading the team in scoring, but it's still true and a really simple answer. Physical tools give athletes high ceilings.

The D-League team is another reason I don't think MU should be too quick to trade away picks and go all in on a win-now team with a 1 or 2 year window (unless that team is a clear-cut contender, not just a "maybe we can beat Cleveland if everything goes right" team). The Raptors have put themselves in the best position as a franchise they've ever been in, imho. Time to get rid of that Maple Leafs "trade picks, win now!" mentality and start developing, and keeping, the kind of talent that makes this franchise highly competitive for years. Years.
        I agree with you. But when you consider Bruno is such a huge project, i just wonder if MU had other motives for picking him. The D-league team is a huge asset, and a considerable investment I would imagine, and it seems easier to pitch when you've drafted that guy with the freakish physical tools and potential but needs instruction and competitive minutes (which you can't give him with the big team). Bruno is basically being paid over 1.5M to be a student of the game, to learn. There were more NBA ready prospects available with that pick. It was probably a reach no?

Not that I'm unhappy with the pick, I got my fingers crossed for Bruno and I hope we see him get some minutes this season with the Raps, and even more in the future. But even if he doesn't pan out at all, I won't be unhappy because maybe drafting him helped land a D-league team.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
          I agree with you. But when you consider Bruno is such a huge project, i just wonder if MU had other motives for picking him. The D-league team is a huge asset, and a considerable investment I would imagine, and it seems easier to pitch when you've drafted that guy with the freakish physical tools and potential but needs instruction and competitive minutes (which you can't give him with the big team). Bruno is basically being paid over 1.5M to be a student of the game, to learn. There were more NBA ready prospects available with that pick. It was probably a reach no?

Not that I'm unhappy with the pick, I got my fingers crossed for Bruno and I hope we see him get some minutes this season with the Raps, and even more in the future. But even if he doesn't pan out at all, I won't be unhappy because maybe drafting him helped land a D-league team.
          It's only been 2 years but it's not like there's tons of guys who went after him tearing it up. Hood and Anderson were the guys left that I had interest in.

In retrospect the big miss was on the 2nd rounder. Could've had Jokic who went just a few spots after Daniels. Would've been interesting to have him behind/beside JV to see if it could work. And it feels like Daniels may never suit up for us. But that's the 2nd round for you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            It's only been 2 years but it's not like there's tons of guys who went after him tearing it up. Hood and Anderson were the guys left that I had interest in.

In retrospect the big miss was on the 2nd rounder. Could've had Jokic who went just a few spots after Daniels. Would've been interesting to have him behind/beside JV to see if it could work. And it feels like Daniels may never suit up for us. But that's the 2nd round for you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
            That's any draft for you. Daniels played really well during his time in Australia. The injuries are what derailed this guy's career early. I hope he gets himself healthy and plays some meaningful D-league minutes this year.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
              Just for the people who don't get why people are still high on Bruno (or just think he's plain trash); should definitely read this article on the guy. I watched a majority of his games with the 905 this season and the growth was VERY noticeable between his first game and his last game.
              Great article. I wonder where Bruno would go in this years draft..

I get the impression that Brandon Ingram is further along in terms of bball iq and has a slight athletic edge but very similar in base talent level and obviously body type. I'm really excited about Bruno contributing as soon as next season. This summer is so crucial for him.

Comment

• The_Warlord wrote: View Post
                Great article. I wonder where Bruno would go in this years draft..

I get the impression that Brandon Ingram is further along in terms of bball iq and has a slight athletic edge but very similar in base talent level and obviously body type. I'm really excited about Bruno contributing as soon as next season. This summer is so crucial for him.
                Great article but even it says don't expect him to play much next year. I think the raptors should sign a veteran 3 for a 2 year deal on the cheap preferably a good 3 point shooter. By the 2nd year of his deal 2017-18 hopefully losing minutes to bruno. Bruno could be the permanent backup by 2018-19 and hopefully when Carroll moves on he can be our starting pf in 2020! (24 years old...hold yer horses)
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Naw, Bruno got drafted for the same reason so many NBA players get drafted - freakish physical tools and athleticism. It's the same reason hockey scouts are more interested in a kid's foot size than his ppg at a certain age. They care less about who's scoring the hat trick against 15 year olds (although that matters) than they do about figuring out which of these kids might end up being 6'4" and 220 lbs. I'll tell you that pisses off the parents of the undersized kid leading the team in scoring, but it's still true and a really simple answer. Physical tools give athletes high ceilings.

The D-League team is another reason I don't think MU should be too quick to trade away picks and go all in on a win-now team with a 1 or 2 year window (unless that team is a clear-cut contender, not just a "maybe we can beat Cleveland if everything goes right" team). The Raptors have put themselves in the best position as a franchise they've ever been in, imho. Time to get rid of that Maple Leafs "trade picks, win now!" mentality and start developing, and keeping, the kind of talent that makes this franchise highly competitive for years. Years.
                  There have actually been articles showing that this is not a very good thing to do.

Also, the Leafs have kind of been taking a bunch of small, ridiculously skilled, scoring forwards over players who were bigger or other.

And it's been working out really well for them, their prospects were pretty good in the NHL this year.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                    There have actually been articles showing that this is not a very good thing to do.

Also, the Leafs have kind of been taking a bunch of small, ridiculously skilled, scoring forwards over players who were bigger or other.

And it's been working out really well for them, their prospects were pretty good in the NHL this year.
                    All things equal. In sports bigger is better.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      All things equal. In life bigger is better.

edited.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        All things equal. In sports bigger is better.

Yeah, jockeys are getting huge these days. Messi should have taken that career path. :-)

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, jockeys are getting huge these days. Messi should have taken that career path. :-)
                          Jockeys aren't the athlete in that sport.

And Messi had to take growth hormones as a child so he wouldn't be as small as nature intended him to be.

You can't teach size

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                            Jockeys aren't the athlete in that sport.

And Messi had to take growth hormones as a child so he wouldn't be as small as nature intended him to be.

You can't teach size
                            My bad.

Shaq on a Clydesdale = Triple Crown, ftw. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                              My bad.

Shaq on a Clydesdale = Triple Crown, ftw. lol.
                              Clydesdale on a Shaq = a close second.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                                Clydesdale on a Shaq = a close second.
                                Shaq's penis vs. a Clydesdale penis

serious question

Comment

Working...
                                X