Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Raptors lacking a true direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    Because, as Masai said after the draft, the project wouldn't be there at 37, the Raps only had one draft pick (#20) that they could use to grab him, and they thought he had more upside than anyone else between 20 and 37. All of this was clearly explained in the media and by the Raps management in the days after the draft. You need to pay closer attention.
    I understand that but I personally don't feel a 5 year projects fits the current team which is clearly trying to compete. There were a lot of good players that were dropping that they passed on to reach for a guy who barely plays in a league in Brazil let alone the NBA because he has a big wingspan and is athletic over multiple guys that can contribute right now and still have good upside going down the road. It feels like a massive reach like they were zeroed in on those two guys and didn't really scout/care about anyone else.

Comment

if your expectation is championship, it ain't going to happen with this lineup. if your expectation is just being competitive and maybe some 1st round/2nd round playoff exits in the many years to come until we actually build a contender-worthy lineup, then it should be alright.

Comment

I do not see any major moves this season with the roster, baring any unforeseeable meltdowns. The goal is still to gain momentum and reach the second round of the playoffs. However I wouldn't be surprised to see Masai,(half way through the season) pulls another major blockbuster trade if the right situation comes his way. Looking at the Atlantic, the only team that is a threat to the Raptors are the Nets and they are losing momentum with their ageing team (New York is still a mess, and Boston +76'ers are still years away from competing).

Lets hope the two Brazilians make great progress as well.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
          I understand that but I personally don't feel a 5 year projects fits the current team which is clearly trying to compete. There were a lot of good players that were dropping that they passed on to reach for a guy who barely plays in a league in Brazil let alone the NBA because he has a big wingspan and is athletic over multiple guys that can contribute right now and still have good upside going down the road. It feels like a massive reach like they were zeroed in on those two guys and didn't really scout/care about anyone else.
          It's all about accumulating assets.

Also, I think he's closer than 5 years. I'm betting on him being a contributor, either rotation or starter, in his third year.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Nice post. I agree with some points that you made and disagree with some other ones.

First of all, as far as the draft goes, I think MU did not plan to pick this kid up that high and was forced into it. I know RR and the fans here want to make MU god and think he can do wrong but I think the draft was a bust and a missed opportunity. This kid may not be ready in 4 years and this core assuming getting its super star next year, is ready to compete within the next year.

Yes the guys are young but if you look at the salary structure of the team and ... It will be very hard to keep them together pass 3 season from now. So this Brazilian kid will not be helping these group of guys win.

Now,as far as direction goes, well, MU did not really have any plans last year. He came inches close to trading Lowry and going full tank but then things turned around and he was forced into sitting back and seeing what happened. To all of our surprises, things worked out for him.

But now, I think he has a plan. He is going to make a team that can compete in the SHITTY east and can win some games that will keep the fans happy. in the mean time, he will keep the flexibility to go after the Super star in a year or two.

Fans will be happy because we are wining and if he does not get that super star, then so be it. His moves are going to be small and low risk he will not go for a home run for next season or so.

The problem I see with his approach is that unless the internal core group of Lowry, Ross, DD and big Val and Amir, do not make the NBA east finals, he has no chance of getting his super star !!!

So Basically, Raptors will be a team which will win 40-50 games a season and will get eliminated in 2nd rounds year after year.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post

Also, I think he's closer than 5 years. I'm betting on him being a contributor, either rotation of starter, in his third year.
              It would be nice if the assets had some synchronization in terms of timing and ...

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                Nice post. I agree with some points that you made and disagree with some other ones.

First of all, as far as the draft goes, I think MU did not plan to pick this kid up that high and was forced into it. I know RR and the fans here want to make MU god and think he can do wrong but I think the draft was a bust and a missed opportunity. This kid may not be ready in 4 years and this core assuming getting its super star next year, is ready to compete within the next year.

Yes the guys are young but if you look at the salary structure of the team and ... It will be very hard to keep them together pass 3 season from now. So this Brazilian kid will not be helping these group of guys win.

Now,as far as direction goes, well, MU did not really have any plans last year. He came inches close to trading Lowry and going full tank but then things turned around and he was forced into sitting back and seeing what happened. To all of our surprises, things worked out for him.

But now, I think he has a plan. He is going to make a team that can compete in the SHITTY east and can win some games that will keep the fans happy. in the mean time, he will keep the flexibility to go after the Super star in a year or two.

Fans will be happy because we are wining and if he does not get that super star, then so be it. His moves are going to be small and low risk he will not go for a home run for next season or so.

The problem I see with his approach is that unless the internal core group of Lowry, Ross, DD and big Val and Amir, do not make the NBA east finals, he has no chance of getting his super star !!!

So Basically, Raptors will be a team which will win 40-50 games a season and will get eliminated in 2nd rounds year after year.

I respectfully disagree, but nice post.

I think there will be some kind of syncro on the timing too. I think the goal is to have the players we want on our team by the summer of 2016, then we resign them using bird rights.
                "Bruno?
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I respectfully disagree, but nice post.

I think there will be some kind of syncro on the timing too. I think the goal is to have the players we want on our team by the summer of 2016, then we resign them using bird rights.
                  I really hope that plan works and we get the star that we are looking for.

Comment

Also, I think he's closer than 5 years. I'm betting on him being a contributor, either rotation or starter, in his third year.
                    If the plan is really to accumulating assets then I think we're doing it wrong. Great example of how to get it done is what Philly is doing ATM.

Comment

I understand that but I personally don't feel a 5 year projects fits the current team which is clearly trying to compete.
                      They're not necessarily trying to compete... They're trying to accumulate assets so that in 4 to 5 years they compete for something that matters. If those assets happen to get into the playoffs then that's even better because they'll gain experience.

Comment

If the plan is really to accumulating assets then I think we're doing it wrong. Great example of how to get it done is what Philly is doing ATM.
                        Im not sure it is though. Well see. I'm not sure high draft picks are the only kind of assets. I think there are intangibles like team system, support staff, franchise reputation, etc.

Well see though. Caboclo could be an absolute steal for all we know
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

No we're not. We are accumulating assets while increasing the value of our current assets. Thus we are building an actual program. One where we can bring young guys in and add them to what we do, maintain high value for all our assets, and thus give ourselves many pieces to work with, including pieces that already work well together.

Philly is doing well enough. The draft strategy is bang on for them, they didn't really have better options. Tank, get high picks, hope a couple of them pan out, and build around them. But it's also always hard to build out of the bottom of the league. We'll see where they are in 3-4 years when they have to start deciding on extensions and what they're building toward. Tanking is a strategy that doesn't work more often than it does, as in many teams try the "lose and build up an asset base" strategy but few of them ever become top-tier teams.

**I mean, there's no guarantee we're doing things the right way, but no guarantee we're doing it the wrong way either. Just like with any team trying to build, whether from scratch through a tank or on the fly, results are not at all easy to predict. Everybody needs some luck.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jul 3, 2014, 10:10 PM.

Comment

It's not "clearly trying to compete". It's building towards a championship, step by step. And who says they didn't care about anyone else? They went to the combine, they had interviews with a LOT of kids, they scheduled 11 workouts if I count correctly. And yet they took a "5 year project" instead of those kids. What might you think of those kids?

Comment

I've had a few, excuse the prose and grammatical mistakes.

First off: we can't out tank the L-Eastern conf. Philly had the most embarrassing losing streak in major sports and still couldn't get Wiggins. We can't out pay the follower GMs and FA our way to championships like Miami.

MU strategy: Turn water to wine

MU came into a hand half played.

Forget the moves that came before here's what you have. Nurture the assets we have. Increase percieved value. Ergo develop the leagues best sports science team to turn athletes into ball players(McKechnie, cryo chamber, upgraded practice facility et all). Keep JV in rubber bands, DD putting up shots, KL running laps etc.

Manage fans and parent corp support plus expectations. Keep asses in the seats and comas on the balance sheet black. MU and TL bring back VC? Push for the first All-star game. Rebrand, capitalize on some mixed kids reach and prep school hip hop cred.

Polish rhinestones, take a borderline coach and players and talk them up league wide. Spill as much ink as possible. Talk up your programming and assets. Get people thinking Lowry is the missing piece in LA or Mia. That Casey is a coach of the year candidate. That you have All-Stars signed longterm to reasonable contracts(DD).

Essentially talk the walk. Talk it until you can walk it. Once perception changes, teams that can't extend talent will see a great place to work out s&ts.

tl:dr we aren't the low cost leader(win less draft more 76ers), or the premium brand(pay more for less Lakers/Heat) we are the bargain hunting house flippers renovating that foreclosure!

Right now GMs around the league should turn the lights off and let the butlers answer the door or take MUs calls. After this showcase year they should see us as Sobeys. Come on in, get what you need, just pay a crazy premium.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                                I've had a few, excuse the prose and grammatical mistakes.

First off: we can't out tank the L-Eastern conf. Philly had the most embarrassing losing streak in major sports and still couldn't get Wiggins. We can't out pay the follower GMs and FA our way to championships like Miami.

MU strategy: Turn water to wine

MU came into a hand half played.

Forget the moves that came before here's what you have. Nurture the assets we have. Increase percieved value. Ergo develop the leagues best sports science team to turn athletes into ball players(McKechnie, cryo chamber, upgraded practice facility et all). Keep JV in rubber bands, DD putting up shots, KL running laps etc.

Manage fans and parent corp support plus expectations. Keep asses in the seats and comas on the balance sheet black. MU and TL bring back VC? Push for the first All-star game. Rebrand, capitalize on some mixed kids reach and prep school hip hop cred.

Polish rhinestones, take a borderline coach and players and talk them up league wide. Spill as much ink as possible. Talk up your programming and assets. Get people thinking Lowry is the missing piece in LA or Mia. That Casey is a coach of the year candidate. That you have All-Stars signed longterm to reasonable contracts(DD).

Essentially talk the walk. Talk it until you can walk it. Once perception changes, teams that can't extend talent will see a great place to work out s&ts.

tl:dr we aren't the low cost leader(win less draft more 76ers), or the premium brand(pay more for less Lakers/Heat) we are the bargain hunting house flippers renovating that foreclosure!

Right now GMs around the league should turn the lights off and let the butlers answer the door or take MUs calls. After this showcase year they should see us as Sobeys. Come on in, get what you need, just pay a crazy premium.
                                Too bad sobeys is losing a ton of money and closing a bunch of stores.

Comment

Working...
                                X