Patience desperately needed: Look how far Raptors have come in a year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamshid wrote: View Post
    It is a pipe dream unless somehow this team goes to ECF or NBA finals within the next two years and Big Val, DD and Ross become all stars ...

Even those conditions met, it still may not happen. For us to get any SUPER STAR in 2016 ( Something this team really needs) , it requires being able to compete seriously within the next 2 years and I am not talking about making it to play offs and getting knocked out after the first round.
    Or instead of buying one. You draft one.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      If you use free agency to get a player like Millsap you've blown your cap space to get a guy like Durant in 2016. If KD wants to come to Toronto it would have to be in a S&T and than OKC has leverage.

I don't think KD comes to Toronto anyway but I would really love to have cap space when he's a free agent just to get that chance.
      That pretty much nails it. Once cap space of that magnitude has been built you pretty much have a single opportunity to maiximize it. If Kevin Love or Marcus Aldrdige is not what you really need to move to the next level in 2015 then by all means its smart business to carry forward the cap room to 2016 and make the play for Kevin Durrant.
      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        I think this team is passed the " drafting a Super Star" stage now ...

Comment

Anyone else praying the nuggets and Knicks are awful in 2015-16?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            Amen brother.
            - TGO

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              They will be.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

i am going to agree patience 2016

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  They will be.
                  The Knicks left to their own devices should be bad. Not Dogs with fleas bad but bad.
                  Pray hard for the Nuggets to somehow mess up. They look pretty good right now.
                  - TGO

Comment

Don't see the nuggets being horrible ,great deal talent, after the trade with Orlando and the two drft picks. See the Knicks being. 8th to 10 th seed

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                      Don't see the nuggets being horrible ,great deal talent, after the trade with Orlando and the two drft picks. See the Knicks being. 8th to 10 th seed
                      They're in the West. Less than 50 wins mean lottery. Knicks will suck especially with Melo @ 26M a season for 5 years. Nuggets will be TWolves good maybe, which means lottery.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        They're in the West. Less than 50 wins mean lottery. Knicks will suck especially with Melo @ 26M a season for 5 years. Nuggets will be TWolves good maybe, which means lottery.
                        Great point ! Here's last years results. Lets say Denver can catch Dallas but Phoenix is likely to move up as well and stay ahead of the Nuggets. New Orleans can push Denver to see who passes both Dallas and Minnestoa who with the "Love watch" is going to slip with the non stop media circus around them. If this pattern holds true both the NYK and Denver may be in the lottery. Praying still helps though !

Western Conference W L
                        1 xyz-San Antonio 62 20
                        2 xy-Oklahoma City 59 23
                        3 xy-L.A. Clippers 57 25
                        4 x-Houston 54 28
                        5 x-Portland 54 28
                        6 x-Golden St. 51 31
                        7 x-Memphis 50 32
                        8 x-Dallas 49 33
                        o-Phoenix 48 34
                        o-Minnesota 40 42
                        o-Denver 36 46
                        o-New Orleans 34 48
                        o-Sacramento 28 54
                        o-L.A. Lakers 27 55
                        o-Utah 25 57
                        - TGO

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                          You can see 2 years ahead?

That is awesome.

I'm going to stick to praying they both suck, though.

Comment

That pretty much nails it. Once cap space of that magnitude has been built you pretty much have a single opportunity to maiximize it. If Kevin Love or Marcus Aldrdige is not what you really need to move to the next level in 2015 then by all means its smart business to carry forward the cap room to 2016 and make the play for Kevin Durrant.
                            But there's no way to carry the cap forward. Players get annual raises, and we don't have any guys expiring for 2016 anymore with Novak gone. Meanwhile, DD opts out and goes from a 9.5M cap hit to a 14+M dollar cap hit. You could renounce him but I expect he's a big part of the pitch to Durant. Then JV and Ross go from a total combined salary less than 10M to a combined cap hit of 18+M. So there goes all your cap space. We might have some, but we almost certainly won't have maximum cap room in 2016, so no matter what we do, we'll have to be dealing with OKC in a SnT or looking to dump salary on other teams at the cost of picks.

So given that a sign and trade sending our multiple picks and possibly a prospect or two to OKC is already our best bet, might as well add a top talent or even a good-great player like Millsap as well as adding Durant the next summer.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              But there's no way to carry the cap forward. Players get annual raises, and we don't have any guys expiring for 2016 anymore with Novak gone. Meanwhile, DD opts out and goes from a 9.5M cap hit to a 14+M dollar cap hit. You could renounce him but I expect he's a big part of the pitch to Durant. Then JV and Ross go from a total combined salary less than 10M to a combined cap hit of 18+M. So there goes all your cap space. We might have some, but we almost certainly won't have maximum cap room in 2016, so no matter what we do, we'll have to be dealing with OKC in a SnT or looking to dump salary on other teams at the cost of picks.

So given that a sign and trade sending our multiple picks and possibly a prospect or two to OKC is already our best bet, might as well add a top talent or even a good-great player like Millsap as well as adding Durant the next summer.
                              You should write a sticky post on situations and possibilities for our cap space the next two years. Would clear up a lot of confusion and clutter, I think.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                You should write a sticky post on situations and possibilities for our cap space the next two years. Would clear up a lot of confusion and clutter, I think.
                                I think I might, though not up to me if it gets stickied. I'll do it after the current run of signings is confirmed though - too many variables right now.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X