No announcement yet.

Hindsight Time: Should we have tanked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hindsight Time: Should we have tanked?

So with Vasquez likely to be locked up soon and all our core guys returning, it begs the question. Should we have traded away Lowry to the Knicks for Shump/2018 1st/whatever that Knicks offer was, and then looked to move DeRozan and maybe Amir as well to get the tank rolling?

NOPE. I called for a season of growing chemistry and culture and reputation. We have done all of that and are now starting a trend of FA's wanting to STAY. This is the best thing the franchise could've done, and we are way closer to a championship right now then we would've been if we had Tanked

ALSO, entertainment value of games that matter.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Obviously in hindsight no we shouldn't have tanked.

HOWEVER

Going back in time...It was a completely valid position to hold. I completely understand why I, and many others supported the idea.

ALSO

I'm okay with being wrong so long as my reasoning was sound in the first place
      Last edited by thead; Fri Jul 4, 2014, 02:30 PM.
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

No, life is too short for tanking.

Comment

Btw there's no bias in this thread. I've always been a fence-sitter on this issue. Tanking and not tanking were both viable paths to success in my opinion.

I think Ujiri would've made the best of either situation tbh.

Comment

It was too late to sell assets for less than they're worth, and clearly that's what MU felt the offers he was getting for Lowry would've been. To compete with the tank-a-thons going on around the league we would've had to bottom out hard after the Gay trade. And to "tank" with the way we played, Masai would've had to get great deals for Kyle, Amir and DeMar.

The Raps are in good shape as things stand. Even with guys coming back, we don't have any really terrible contracts on our roster (the worst ones are Fields and Hayes and they're both expiring), and we're building up a young asset base. So basically we have moveable contracts and a growing crop of young pieces. This should make it easy enough to course correct. Even if that correction is just trying to create more cap space.

Comment

no...tanking means no Lowry, no playoffs, no fuck brooklyn, no WetheNorth, no Jurassic Park, no franchise record 48 win season, no progress...we are in such a good position I don't understand how/why tanking is so huge to raps fans...lets break way from this loser mentality and enjoy being a winning team for a change!

Comment

LOOOOOOLLLL, some people can not get over the past !!! Tank or no Tank !!! We are passed that. It is done !! Deal with it and move on ... Who cares !!!

Be happy

Comment

Obviously, no.

It is a good question to ask again next year.

If Lowry comes back fat....... ugh.

It is like Masai has said: he didn't plan for this, it just happened. You can't plan for chemistry and this team found it as unlikely as it was to be.

Comment

Can't truthfully answer the question until we see how much of an impact guys like Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Exum, Randle, Smart, (Bruno) etc. have on the teams that drafted them.

Comment

It was valid. Just didn't seem viable.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                        It was valid. Just didn't seem viable.
                        At 6-12 it was extremely viable. Lol

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          At 6-12 it was extremely viable. Lol
                          That's a 27 win season. Coin flip with LA for Randle. Doesn't seem worth it.

Comment

that was a 27 win season if we didn't blow it up...

blow it up and who knows to what level we could have sucked
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

But that was with Rudy, Demar, Kyle, etc. Trade all those guys and we would have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for sure.

Sixers started 6-8 and had the second most ping pong balls in the league.

For now, things are roses but if we faceplant this coming season and the draft class goes wild I'm sure this will be a question we revisit ad nauseam.

Comment

Working...
                              X