Raptors Draft Picks vs. Their Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Draft Picks vs. Their Class

Maybe not thread worthy, but I wanted to take a look at the starters on the Raptors, where they were drafted, and how low/high that was compared to where they should've been picked (i.e. how they rank amongst their class).

Kyle Lowry - Drafted 24th in 2006
    You've got Aldridge, Roy and Rondo in this draft who are All-NBAers that rank above him. Then you have Paul Millsap, the all-star and MAYBE Rudy Gay. So I'd say Kyle ranks 5th or 6th in this draft.

DeMar DeRozan - Drafted 9th in 2009
    Blake Griffin, Harden and Curry are the all-NBAers who are all clearly ahead of him. After that you could maybe say Ty Lawson is about at his level, so DD probably ranks 4th or 5th in this draft.

Terrence Ross - Drafted 8th in 2012
    Anthony Davis is definitely above him, ditto with Lillard. I'd say Beal and Drummond are also clearly better prospects. After that for me it's either Ross or Jared Sullinger. So like Lowry, 5th or 6th in his draft. Obviously these guys haven't been able to show their full potential yet, so it's a bit early.

Amir Johnson - Drafted 56th in 2005
    I'd take Bogut, DWill, CP3, Bynum (when his head was on right he was a superstar), Granger, David Lee and Gortat over him here. So I'd rank Amir about 8th in this draft.

Jonas Valanciunas - Drafted 5th in 2011
    I'd take Kyrie and Kawhi over Jonas at this point from this draft, so I'd rank him third. Again, like the Ross draft, these guys haven't really realized their full potential yet.

Summary
    Kyle Lowry - 5th/6th
    DeMar DeRozan - 4th/5th
    Terrence Ross - 5th/6th
    Amir Johnson - 8th
    Jonas Valanciunas - 3rd

So we basically have four top 5 picks and 5 top 10 picks on this roster yay!

Interesting perspective. Not to dampen the enthusiasm, but a significant proportion of any draft isn't even playing in the NBA after five years, so anyone still around after five years would automatically tend to be at the top end. Still, an interesting look at the starters.

Comment

We drafted three of our starters, and we traded for Lowry and Johnson.

Lowry: Got him for Gary Forbes and a future first, which was Steven Adams, right?

Amir: We got him (and Sonny Weems!) for Carlos Delfino and Roko Ukic.

I think we won both those deals.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Adds perspective.

Its one thing to say 75% of 60 people picked don't hang on to have a career but looking at it this way shows how we've amassed considerable talent.

Comment

I think this would be a better thread if it were just focused on this Raptors who were drafted by the team.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
            We drafted three of our starters, and we traded for Lowry and Johnson.

Lowry: Got him for Gary Forbes and a future first, which was Steven Adams, right?

Amir: We got him (and Sonny Weems!) for Carlos Delfino and Roko Ukic.

I think we won both those deals.
            About the bold. Yes the pick we traded was used on Steven Adams, but everyone forgets that Giannis was picked afterwards. Given that our GM was totally hot for Giannis, how he ends up doing in the NBA could also be factored into that trade. If you go back and undo the Lowry trade, I think it's safe to say that we don't do any better, which would mean that Giannis would still be available had BC forgone the accelerated rebuild.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I'm pretty happy to have Bruno as our Giannis ... and Lowry as an all-star PG.
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Bill Simmons actually touched upon this topic just before the draft (in examining how the NBA draft is ultimately a crapshoot). When he went through and looked through the last 19 drafts. And for the most part, I agree with what he listed.

• Superduperstar *****
                • All-Timer ****
                • Franchise Guy ***
                • All-Star **
                • Quality Starter*
                • Starter (no asterisk)
                Going in reverse order of when our starters were drafted:
                1. Anthony Davis (1)***3
                2. Damian Lillard (6)**
                3. Bradley Beal (3)**
                4. Andre Drummond (9)**
                5. Terrence Ross (8)
                6. Harrison Barnes (7)
                7. Dion Waiters (4)
                8. Miles Plumlee (26)
                9. Draymond Green (35)
                10. John Henson (14)

Too Early to Tell: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist4 (2), Thomas Robinson (5), Austin Rivers (10)

Lottery Whiffs: Meyers Leonard (11), Jeremy Lamb (12), Kendall Marshall (13)

Rotation Guys: Moe Harkless (15), Terrence Jones (18), Andrew Nicholson (19), Evan Fournier (20), Jared Sullinger (21), Festus Ezeli (30), Khris Middleton (39), Mike Scott (43)

Breakdown: This draft practically went chalk. The best seven players were taken in the top nine; Davis was a hellaciously good top pick; and Beal was a top-three prize with some outside “special” potential.5 Drummond’s situation reminds me of our aforementioned 2014 predicament — we knew that it dropped off after Davis, MKG and Beal, with Waiters, Barnes, Robinson, Lillard, Drummond and Ross following in some order. Cleveland (no. 4) and Sacramento (no. 5) picked the wrong players. Portland smartly snared Lillard at no. 6. And Detroit fell ass-backward into Drummond at no. 9. That’s the NBA draft for you.
                1. Kawhi Leonard (15)**
                2. Kyrie Irving (1)**
                3. Klay Thompson (11)**
                4. Chandler Parsons (38)*
                5. Kenneth Faried (22)*
                6. Nikola Vucevic (16)
                7. Jonas Valanciunas (5)
                8. Kemba Walker (9)
                9. Isaiah Thomas (60)
                10. Markieff Morris (13)
                11. Jimmy Butler (30)
                12. Reggie Jackson (24)

Lottery Whiffs: Derrick Williams (2), Jan Vesely (6), Bismack Biyombo (7), Jimmer Fredette (10)

Lottery Rotation Guys: Enes Kanter (3), Tristan Thompson (4), Brandon Knight (8), Alec Burks (12), Marcus Morris (14)

Rotation Guys: Iman Shumpert (17), Tobias Harris (19), Nikola Mirotic (23), Norris Cole (28), Kyle Singler (33)

Breakdown: Be honest — if you’re trying to win titles for the next 12 years and your life depended on it, you’d really roll the dice with Kyrie over Kawhi? If that’s true, YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF. Let’s see Kyrie win 35 games in a season before we take him over the 2014 Finals MVP. Cool? Cool. But look at those top-12 guys — we struck gold with 15-1-11-38-22 and came through with 22-16-5-9-60-13-30-24 while totally whiffing on 2-6-7-10 and missing out on a definite keeper with nine of the 14 lottery picks. Three additional quick thoughts …

• I spent far more time deliberating over Klay vs. Kawhi than I expected. Then I remembered that Kawhi stared down LeBron for three straight Finals games. The Kingslayer!

• Since I’m the last person on the planet not named Fredette who believes Jimmer will have an important NBA moment, I begrudgingly threw him into the “Lottery Whiffs” pile. It genuinely hurts. I can’t lie.

• Those back-to-back Vesely-Biyombo picks are funny right now and will remain funny 50 years from now. I can already see myself cackling about them during an OculusVR9.0 virtual canasta game in my assisted living home in 2064.
                1. Blake Griffin (1)***
                2. Stephen Curry (7)***
                3. James Harden (3)***
                4. Ty Lawson (18)**
                5. DeMar DeRozan (9)*
                6. Taj Gibson (26)
                7. Jrue Holiday (17)*
                8. Ricky Rubio (5)7
                9. Danny Green (46)
                10. Jeff Teague (19)
                11. Tyreke Evans (4)

Lottery Whiffs: Hasheem Thabeet (2), Jonny Flynn (6), Jordan Hill (8), Terrence Williams (11), Earl Clark (14)

Lottery Rotation Guys: Brandon Jennings (10),8 Gerald Henderson (12), Tyler Hansbrough (13)

Rotation Guys: James Johnson (16), Eric Maynor (20), Darren Collison (21), DeJuan Blair (37), Jodie Meeks (41), Patrick Beverley (42), Marcus Thornton (43), Chase Budinger (44), Nick Calathes (45), Patty Mills (55)

Breakdown: Even if the first seven picks yielded three franchise guys, we’ll remember this draft for the point guards: Curry became a franchise guy; Lawson, Rubio, Holiday, Teague, Jennings, Collison and Beverley became starters; Maynor and Mills became steady backups; Jonny Flynn became an iconic bust; and the immortal David Kahn took consecutive point guards at no. 5 and no. 6 while passing on Curry both times. Did he claim that Rubio and Flynn were the next Frazier and Monroe? Of course he did!

Just so you know, I love the 2009 draft as much as I love both of my dogs. Two straight point guards???? And neither of them were Steph Curry???? Trust me, this was Courtney Love–level insane the moment it happened. Also insane — in 2009, you had a better chance of finding a valuable player from picks 41 through 45 than you did from picks 11 through 15. When are we gonna realize that the NBA draft is just as illogical as the NFL draft?
                1. LaMarcus Aldridge (2)**
                2. Rajon Rondo (21)**
                3. Paul Millsap (47)*
                4. Kyle Lowry (24)*
                5. Brandon Roy (6)*
                6. Rudy Gay (8)
                7. J.J. Redick (11)
                8. Andrea Bargnani (1)

Lottery Whiffs: Adam Morrison (3), Shelden Williams (5), Patrick O’Bryant (9), Mouhamed Sene (10), Hilton Armstrong (12), Ronnie Brewer (14)

Lottery Rotation Guys: Tyrus Thomas (4), Randy Foye (7), Thabo Sefolosha (13)

Rotation Guys: Jordan Farmar (26), P.J. Tucker (35), Daniel Gibson (42)

Breakdown: An especially dopey draft that includes six lottery whiffs, one amnesty guy (Thomas), one Internet punching bag (Bargnani) and an improbable 2-21-47-24-6-8-11-1 redraft order. Why not rank it 10 out of 10? Because this draft sucked at the time — like 2000 and 2013, multiple lottery teams were frantically trying to trade out of their spots. If anything, this draft overachieved because Aldridge, Rondo, Millsap and Lowry exceeded expectations.11

My favorite 2006 draft fact: Did you know that Adam Morrison finished with minus-1.4 career win shares? Did you know win shares went negative? How is that even possible? In other words, you and I both did better than him! Let’s have a high-five or at least a fist-pump.
                1. Chris Paul (4)***
                2. Deron Williams (3)**
                3. David Lee (30)*
                4. Andrew Bogut (1)*
                5. Andrew Bynum (10)*
                6. Danny Granger (17)*
                7. Monta Ellis (40)*
                8. Marcin Gortat (57)
                9. Ray Felton (5)
                10. Ersan Ilyasova (36)
                11. Jarrett Jack (22)

Lottery Whiffs: Ike Diogu (9), Fran Vazquez (11), Yaroslav Korolev (12), Sean May (13), Rashad McCants (14)

Lottery Rotation Guys: Marvin Williams (2), Martell Webster (6), Charlie Villanueva (7), Channing Frye (8)

Rotation Guys: Gerald Green (18), Nate Robinson (21), Jason Maxiell (26), Ian Mahinmi (28), Brandon Bass (33), Lou Williams (45), Andray Blatche (49), Ryan Gomes (50), Amir Johnson (56)

Breakdown: I lowered the SCRAP rating because this draft had so many self-inflicted boners. Like Atlanta GM Billy Knight taking Marvin Williams over Paul and Deron Williams one year before he took Shelden Williams over Brandon Roy. (Note: He’s no longer employed.) Like Portland trading away its CP3-Deron chance at no. 3 to drop three spots for Webster. Like Granger falling seven to nine spots lower than he should have gone, or Lee and Ellis going wayyyyyy too late. Like Orlando wasting the 11th pick on Vazquez without realizing that (a) he was staying in Europe, and (b) he sucked at basketball.

For what it’s worth, this draft is beloved in NBA circles for what happened after the no. 25 pick (four starters and seven rotation guys). Multiple NBA peeps have promised me that 2014’s last 35 picks will be equally fertile. That’s right, I used the word “fertile” in an NBA draft column without groupies or Shawn Kemp being involved.
                For what its worth, I threw in Patrick Patterson and GV's draft here as well.
                1. Paul George (10)***
                2. John Wall (1)**
                3. DeMarcus Cousins (5)**
                4. Eric Bledsoe (18)*
                5. Gordon Hayward (9)*
                6. Lance Stephenson (40)*
                7. Greg Monroe (7)
                8. Larry Sanders (15)

Lottery Whiffs: Wesley Johnson (4), Ekpe Udoh (6), Al-Farouq Aminu (8), Cole Aldrich (11)

Lottery Rotation Guys: Evan Turner (2), Derrick Favors (3), Xavier Henry (12), Ed Davis (13), Patrick Patterson (14)

Rotation Guys: Avery Bradley (19), Quincy Pondexter (26), Jordan Crawford (27), Greivis Vasquez (28)

Breakdown: Your typically devastating-in-retrospect draft. Wall was always going first, but the next eight teams missed on George … and actually, so did I.6 Turner and Favors were DBTWT guys (“drafted by the wrong team”); flip those picks and both have a better chance. The Clips picked Aminu over Hayward and a playing-one-hour-away George because they’re the Clippers and of course they did. Minnesota took 23-year-old Wes Johnson over DeMarcus Cous— oh wait, that was just as confusing in the moment. And so on and so on. Even Sam Presti screwed up in 2010 — he wasted the 11th pick on Aldrich and traded away Bledsoe’s rights. Agonizing draft. It’s only fitting that Lance Stephenson became one of the 2010 draft’s six best picks.
                Last edited by Just Is; Mon Jul 7, 2014, 01:17 PM.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

CP3 deserves another star.

Comment

i think a more realistic perspective is to look if we missed on guys drafted after us

Comment

So our lineup is:

Q Starter/Q Starter/Starter/Rotation Guy/Starter

Of course Ross, JV and DD have the potential to improve that standing.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                        i think a more realistic perspective is to look if we missed on guys drafted after us
                        My point is we have a bunch of top-10 draft pick talents on this team already. I'm not discussing whether we missed on picks or not (which we didn't btw, the only miss was Drummond in the Ross draft).

Comment

Surprised they ranked keneth faried as a quality starter and valanciunis as a starter. Usually 'experts' are all over valanciunis and his potential

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
                          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                            My point is we have a bunch of top-10 draft pick talents on this team already. I'm not discussing whether we missed on picks or not (which we didn't btw, the only miss was Drummond in the Ross draft).
                            Ya if we had Drummond we be talking about championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              Ya if we had Drummond we be talking about championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Now thats a stretch since then we would have jv and drummond at c.

Unless you wanted to trade valanciunis even so we wouldbt be that far off. All drummobd is good for at this point is rebiunding that was one of our strengths

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X