Is this the 2014-15 team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Guys, just block Jamshid, it's a wonderful life.
    Tbh it was a lot more fun to respond with excessive smilies lol

Comment

• The guy is a pest, but banned for excessive smileys???? Really?? Cheap

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        Smiley faces aside. I am MUCH more worried about the center position than the PG position. YES Amir can do a capable job as a center, but I do think that a huge problem considering his injury history. He was definitely not 100% for the playoffs at was a problem in round one.

If Jonas has an injury this year forcing Amir to play heavy minutes at center I think that has real implications once we are in the playoffs. I think that Vasquez and Williams playing extended pg minutes has a much lower negative impact on guys being healthy in the playoffs. And with this roster, we need to focus not on getting to the playoffs, but what we are going to do once we get there.

With the shake up in Miami, and the strength of the conference, I think most fans would be disappointed with another first round exit. Playing Amir heavy minutes at center is likely to come back and haunt us IF we are wanting to make a deep playoff run.

Our PF depth is good enough that it is possible to shift Amir over to Center without increasing his minutes, by moving PP into the starting line up with TH as the back up PF. BUT in either case you've still got Chuch Hayes as your back up center. And that's an issue. You can say whatever you want about last seasons record, but there's little doubt in my mind, that Chuck Hayes is a 3rd stringer, not a Backup. And it's the only position on our roster where you can say that.
        I personally feel that a 3rd string PG is more important. If JV is injured that would be on par to having Lowry get injured. So that would be catastrophic. The difference however is that Lowry has a history of being injured (his bull dog style of play doesn't help).

GV can definitely back Lowry up as Amir could backup JV. Amir may not be 100% healthy and GV is probably more stable but after GV we have no one. After Amir you could throw in Hayes, Bebe, or even try Hansborough in stints (don't think that's a good idea but he's as good a C as Lou Williams would be a PG).

We only have $2M to spend before we hit luxury tax. Not going to be many deals out there.. if Okafor could be had for $2M (and he's healthy enough) than I'd take him over another PG.. but if it was someone like Whiteside or Blatche (who's more of a PF) then forget about it.

Once you start looking at the 3rd center / 3rd PG as a backup things have gone south.. so I hope that insurance isn't needed. Perhaps keeping that 15th spot open for a future trade might even be better then.. or for a D-League hire if something bad does happen.

Comment

• chico wrote: View Post
          The guy is a pest, but banned for excessive smileys???? Really?? Cheap
          No way, he didn't get banned for that did he?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            With James Johnson signed, is this the team for 2014-15?

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Buycks*
            SG: DeRozan, Williams, Fields
            SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno
            PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
            C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Bebe

That is 15 roster spots with the * being Buycks unguaranteed deal.

If Buycks is waived, who is picked up?
            A third string PG or a backup C?
            My guess is PG.
            Damn, that's not a bad roster. I'm comfortable w/ Buycks as the 3rd PG. I just love how Masai has gone about his business this off-season while the other teams seems to be signing players just for the sake of signing players.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              With James Johnson signed, is this the team for 2014-15?

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Buycks*
              SG: DeRozan, Williams, Fields
              SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno
              PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
              C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Bebe

That is 15 roster spots with the * being Buycks unguaranteed deal.

If Buycks is waived, who is picked up?
              A third string PG or a backup C?
              My guess is PG.
              I'm comfortable with this line-up going in to the season. We have enough pieces from the top down that makes us a pretty well rounded team. We need Jonas to step it up and be that low post presence that we need. DeMar should be our best post player next season.

Rim protection is good. Spacing is good. If Ross improves on his pick and roll game, we are 5 deep in terms of ball handlers. We have length & we have a big 3 stopper & an athletic point guard stopper.

Personally, I would try to trade Hansbrough for a versatile guard - in the mold of Nando de Colo & sign a veteran big who provides some low post presence. I feel like that would plug every single hole in this roster & it's simply up to the guys to make the most out of it.

But overall, we upgraded the bench & I pray for James Johnson. He's so talented - just please, let him get "it" here in his second stint. He could very well be our Boris Diaw which gives us a huge advantage at the 4 spot.

Edit: If we are set with the 14 guaranteed guys, I'd like to see a 3rd string point guard as the 15th man -- versatile guard w/ size (like De Colo), born ready shooter (like Eddie House, Patty Mills) or break you down, get to the rim guard (I guess this is where Buycks fits - but hopefully, someone with more upside but I don't mind him either)
              Last edited by torch19; Sun Jul 13, 2014, 03:44 PM.
              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                I personally feel that a 3rd string PG is more important. If JV is injured that would be on par to having Lowry get injured. So that would be catastrophic. The difference however is that Lowry has a history of being injured (his bull dog style of play doesn't help).

GV can definitely back Lowry up as Amir could backup JV. Amir may not be 100% healthy and GV is probably more stable but after GV we have no one. After Amir you could throw in Hayes, Bebe, or even try Hansborough in stints (don't think that's a good idea but he's as good a C as Lou Williams would be a PG).

We only have $2M to spend before we hit luxury tax. Not going to be many deals out there.. if Okafor could be had for $2M (and he's healthy enough) than I'd take him over another PG.. but if it was someone like Whiteside or Blatche (who's more of a PF) then forget about it.

Once you start looking at the 3rd center / 3rd PG as a backup things have gone south.. so I hope that insurance isn't needed. Perhaps keeping that 15th spot open for a future trade might even be better then.. or for a D-League hire if something bad does happen.
                Yeah, after re-considering things, I think leaving the spot open, or filling it with an unguaranteed deal makes the most sense. Then if you get a prolonged injury you can easily waive the guy if need be.

But for the record I like GV & LW at pg more than Amir & Hayes at centre. Maybe I'm just drinking the Hayes haterade.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• I don't think Masai is done. I won't be surprised if either, or both, Hansbrough and Williams are used in trade to shore up the backup C need.

Comment

I don't think Masai is done. I won't be surprised if either, or both, Hansbrough and Williams are used in trade to shore up the backup C need.
                    Hansbrough yes but I don't see them trading away Williams until he gets a chance to at least play with the team first. And to me what good is trading Williams to fix the backup center spot and then you leave the backup Shooting Guard spot vulnerable. Unless you see Landry Fields taking that spot.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                      Hansbrough yes but I don't see them trading away Williams until he gets a chance to at least play with the team first. And to me what good is trading Williams to fix the backup center spot and then you leave the backup Shooting Guard spot vulnerable. Unless you see Landry Fields taking that spot.
                      The SG is not vulnerable really. Between DeMar, Ross and Vasquez, we have more than enough guys to eat up 48 minutes. Lou Williams is a great backup to have, but with Ross and Vasquez real possibilities to get SG minutes, there are possible issues of overcrowding that position.

I'm not saying we should trade Lou, but it's quite plausible that at some point Ujiri will trade him to shore up a hole somewhere else, or even maybe just to pick up another young asset or pick.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                        Fields achieving full recovery, and gaining his shot, would change a lot, but not counting on him. Thing is, barring injuries, I don't see a lot of minutes for him. GV was not, and will not be, just filling in at backup PG when KL is on the bench. I'd expect GV to be getting 6th man type minutes and playing significant minutes in the 2 PG sets. If KL, GV, and DD/Ross are getting avg 32 minutes a game, where are there minutes for Williams? He's an expensive insurance policy. IMO, that Atlanta trade was not to get Williams to fill a need, but was simply the cost of getting Bruno's "brother" as long term backup to JV and buddy for Bruno. Hey, I'm not the least positive that Williams will be moved, but as I said, I would not be surprised.

Comment

• If Amir or the team opts in for his contract, do we resign him in 2015? For how much? There's plenty of nice big men in 2015. And don't we need cap space for 2016?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                            If Amir or the team opts in for his contract, do we resign him in 2015? For how much? There's plenty of nice big men in 2015. And don't we need cap space for 2016?

I am hoping we can resign him for 5 m per year for 3 or 4 years?
                            I have a feeling that patman is gonna take his starting job in 2014-2015 season

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                              If Amir or the team opts in for his contract, do we resign him in 2015? For how much? There's plenty of nice big men in 2015. And don't we need cap space for 2016?

I don't know. We can pursue someone in 2015. We'll have the space to at least consider going after someone like Millsap, maybe even Love....probably not Aldridge as he seems set on staying in Portland.

My hope is just if we do aim for one of those guys and fail, Amir is still going to want to come back and will wait for us to sort things out to see if we will bring him back.

Comment

Fields achieving full recovery, and gaining his shot, would change a lot, but not counting on him. Thing is, barring injuries, I don't see a lot of minutes for him. GV was not, and will not be, just filling in at backup PG when KL is on the bench. I'd expect GV to be getting 6th man type minutes and playing significant minutes in the 2 PG sets. If KL, GV, and DD/Ross are getting avg 32 minutes a game, where are there minutes for Williams? He's an expensive insurance policy. IMO, that Atlanta trade was not to get Williams to fill a need, but was simply the cost of getting Bruno's "brother" as long term backup to JV and buddy for Bruno. Hey, I'm not the least positive that Williams will be moved, but as I said, I would not be surprised.
                                No you guys are right, he will probably be moved. I just don't see him moving before the season starts. I think Masai is going to see how he does and how he fits before he gets rid of him. Because at the end of the day Lou is a good player.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X