Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    You think LMA thinks he is going to deliver a championship to Toronto with the roster as constructed?

I would be fairly certain that any discussion revolves around how the team continues to grow and improve.

By the way, notice when it was written. Right around the time the rumours came out. I was thinking 2 or 3 moves down the road.
    So anything that doesn't guarantee us a championship next season is "shitty" in your opinion? What the hell kind of moves do you expect them to make?

Toronto can easily make a pretty strong case for the team being able to continue to grow and improve. They still have flexibility for the future as well as being ready to compete now.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
      So anything that doesn't guarantee us a championship next season is "shitty" in your opinion? What the hell kind of moves do you expect them to make?

Toronto can easily make a pretty strong case for the team being able to continue to grow and improve. They still have flexibility for the future as well as being ready to compete now.
      You think Aldridge is possibly leaving Portland and $30M on the table to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs?

If he was happy with that, he would stay and make another $30M.

I love how you take 2 different posts and combine them to reach your own conclusion.

On your last paragraph.... that is all fairly true. But wouldn't it be much nicer to have all those TPE's available especially with a GM who actually uses non-guaranteed contracts and TPE to his advantage? That was the shitty part I referred to.

Comment

You think Aldridge is possibly leaving Portland and $30M on the table to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs?

If he was happy with that, he would stay and make another $30M.

I love how you take 2 different posts and combine them to reach your own conclusion.

On your last paragraph.... that is all fairly true. But wouldn't it be much nicer to have all those TPE's available especially with a GM who actually uses non-guaranteed contracts and TPE to his advantage? That was the shitty part I referred to.
        You realize that the 2nd round of the playoffs would be an improvement for the Raptors, the Blazers and the Spurs next season right?

(Point is the West is a murderer's row - not that the Spurs are fodder)

Comment

• somebody needs to tell LMA that MU got Ridnour and cleared a spot by trading Zubcic

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
            You realize that the 2nd round of the playoffs would be an improvement for the Raptors, the Blazers and the Spurs next season right?

(Point is the West is a murderer's row - not that the Spurs are fodder)
            No shit.

Portland has reached the 2nd round with Aldridge just 1 year ago.
            San Antonio wins championships as it happens just 1 year ago.
            Toronto wins Atlantic Division (meaningless) banners.

So I guess it is all even? Hardly.

Why so contrary? What was false in my original post you replied to? It is shitty the TPE's are gone if you use your cap space on a free agent. It really is shitty. Those TPE's can be used for sign and trades or to absorb contracts for useful players or useful assets such as picks.

Comment

No shit.

Portland has reached the 2nd round with Aldridge just 1 year ago.
              San Antonio wins championships as it happens just 1 year ago.
              Toronto wins Atlantic Division (meaningless) banners.

So I guess it is all even? Hardly.

Why so contrary? What was false in my original post you replied to? It is shitty the TPE's are gone if you use your cap space on a free agent. It really is shitty. Those TPE's can be used for sign and trades or to absorb contracts for useful players or useful assets such as picks.
              I think that Masai could make pretty good arguments to convince other FA's to come to TO if LA was on the roster. If he attracted another good to great FA he could then make a pretty good argument to MLSE to go into luxury tax territory because of the playoff and TV revenues. He could then use his smarts, draft picks and existing roster to improve a bit more. The Raps would be headed to the ECF I would guess, at least.

I think that would be a reasonable expectation and I would take that over TPE's. If the Raps find some success over the next season, then it is reasonable to expect LA and any other FA who comes along to resign.

Comment

I wrote a pretty long reply but decided not to post it. I did incorrectly assume what you were referring to as shitty.

But the main thing is that in my mind you're being overly pessimistic about the potential of LMA in Toronto (not the chance he'll sign with Toronto - but the result of it) but then I realized that's your choice. So if you want to think of the situation as being hopeless then go ahead. It's your right.

Comment

• I don't think it is hopeless.

Far from it.

You jumped all over a post that I made shortly following rumour coming out nearly 24hrs after fact.

Anyways you seem to understand my original point now and I've clarified I'm not pessimistic on signing him.

Comment

• Dudes, there are multiple threads to discuss this and this isn't one of them.

Dan, any clarity on the whole opt out clause vs bird rights scenario I posed earlier on here?
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• CBS reporting that league cap could come in 2M higher than projected. Would really help the Raptors.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, Aldridge would definitely change the game. That said, not confident we can land him. He would suddenly make this team a legit East Contender (if we can fix the defence).

But IF we can, not sure how his contract would work with opt outs and bird rights. So let's say he signs here but with the opt outs (ala LeBron) to take advantage of the new cap figures next year (or the year after), since we wouldn't have had LA for 3 years yet, we wouldn't own his bird rights. So does that mean we would need to keep cap space to re-sign him at said opt out?

That would limit flexibility to really go "all-in" around a primed LA, & KL (& DD for arguments sake).
                        If LMA wants a 1 year deal, yes, we'd need to make sure we have the cap space to give him a raise, as all our rights to him would afford us is a 5% raise.

And it certainly would limit flexibility. Though building around those 3 would be unaffected - if you wanted to let DD walk to go after a superstar though, that plan might be impacted.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Depending on how Carroll's deal is structured, Raps now have between 7.9 and 8.9 M in cap room. Add 2M to those if the cap comes in at 69 as the rumours suggest it will. So potentially up to 10.9M in cap room to grab a starting 4.

A note: if Aldridge proves plausible, moves can be made to clear cap room. For example, Patterson to Orlando for a pick (probably a second rounder or something) seems feasible, as they were interested last year and have struck out so far in their bids for floor spreading bigs. Then JJ or Ross as a cap dump would clear enough room to make a max offer to Aldridge.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Hey Dan.

Now that July 1st has rolled around, do the restrictions on Luke Ridnour change?

i.e. can he be packaged with other players or does he have still to wait the 2 months? And can he be traded back to a team who held his contract prior to July 1st?

Comment

Hey Dan.

Now that July 1st has rolled around, do the restrictions on Luke Ridnour change?

i.e. can he be packaged with other players or does he have still to wait the 2 months? And can he be traded back to a team who held his contract prior to July 1st?
                              Has to wait two months after the most recent trade to be dealt in combination with other salaries. He can be traded back to his old team as it is a new year.

That's moot though, as he'll be waived on the 10th if they can't find a taker for him by then, I'm sure.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Has to wait two months after the most recent trade to be dealt in combination with other salaries. He can be traded back to his old team as it is a new year.

That's moot though, as he'll be waived on the 10th if they can't find a taker for him by then, I'm sure.
                                Thanks.

You've made me lazy with looking things up.

And for that I thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X