No announcement yet.

Cavs Talk: Wiggin on the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is great for the Raptors. If he goes, there's no way he's staying in Minnesota after his contract is up.

Comment

• When Wiggins becomes a RFA we could offer him a 1 year max deal, which he signs, then Minnesota matches. Boom, hits unrestricted free agency in 2019. They can't force the guy to stay 8 years, just 5. This Bledsoe situation may give us a glimpse of how it could play out, as I see Bledsoe looking for a 1 year max offer sheet to get to unrestricted status without having to play for his tiny qualifying offer.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        When Wiggins becomes a RFA we could offer him a 1 year max deal, which he signs, then Minnesota matches. Boom, hits unrestricted free agency in 2019. They can't force the guy to stay 8 years, just 5. This Bledsoe situation may give us a glimpse of how it could play out, as I see Bledsoe looking for a 1 year max offer sheet to get to unrestricted status without having to play for his tiny qualifying offer.
        Oooh....thats nasty...just on the other side of collusion. The only team that is likely to offer such a deal would be that who would benefit...meaning that team he would sign as a free agent with and forego an absolute long term max deal. Wonder if thecommish might step in on that one. The Wolves would scream no doubt.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          When Wiggins becomes a RFA we could offer him a 1 year max deal, which he signs, then Minnesota matches. Boom, hits unrestricted free agency in 2019. They can't force the guy to stay 8 years, just 5. This Bledsoe situation may give us a glimpse of how it could play out, as I see Bledsoe looking for a 1 year max offer sheet to get to unrestricted status without having to play for his tiny qualifying offer.
          I dont think you're allowed to sign for one year when you're a RFA

Comment

• Triplethreat89 wrote: View Post
            I've personally played basketball with Andrew wiggins multiple times in high school and I honestly don't think he will have problem living up to his expectations.

My hopes are that he gets traded to Minnesota and get 2 times more minutes than he would have gotten in cleveland
            and come back to Toronto as soon as his contract is done
            Since you have played with AW, can u comment on something I have heard from within his circle...that he is not given to practicing much. Supremely talented but doesn't like the gym.

Comment

• Good to see a little closure on our Wiggins being tradable for Love debate.

Comment

• Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                This is great for the Raptors. If he goes, there's no way he's staying in Minnesota after his contract is up.
                This is a definite upside to the trade. It's also possible that Toronto could make a trade with Minny sometime down the road.

Personally ... the Cavaliers are idiots to make this trade. I know Love is a dynamic player, but if he moves to Cleveland, the naysayers will say that Lebron can't build a team - he can only be a part of the "bought & paid" type teams. His legacy will never be good enough, with that hanging over his head. He'll never match Jordan's legacy, no matter how well James plays.

All that being said, there's a reason why Cleveland has had 3 - 1st overall picks in the last 4 years, and will only make the play-offs this year because of Lebron. A certain degree of futility.

Comment

• Jordan played on stacked teams, don't kid yourself.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    Jordan played on stacked teams, don't kid yourself.

Maybe the second time around with the Bulls after Jordan returned from baseball they were, but the first 3 championship Jordan won with the Bulls weren't stacked at all (other then their "big 3" the rest of the team was bad).

Comment

• RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
                      This is a definite upside to the trade. It's also possible that Toronto could make a trade with Minny sometime down the road.

Personally ... the Cavaliers are idiots to make this trade. I know Love is a dynamic player, but if he moves to Cleveland, the naysayers will say that Lebron can't build a team - he can only be a part of the "bought & paid" type teams. His legacy will never be good enough, with that hanging over his head. He'll never match Jordan's legacy, no matter how well James plays.

All that being said, there's a reason why Cleveland has had 3 - 1st overall picks in the last 4 years, and will only make the play-offs this year because of Lebron. A certain degree of futility.

He already carried a mediocre supporting cast the NBA final in Cleveland.

Can Kobe build a team? Shaq & Gasol were key to two different runs and they were brought in via trades.

It's smart to move Wiggins now. Remove Wiggins and add Love to that team and suddenly they're a top contender. They can win now and later with a lineup like that as opposed to waiting for Wiggins to develop into someone impact full enough to put them over the top.

Why wait when you have the best player in the league. To me that's wasting time and it isn't smart. Also, it's not like they're over paying for Love because he's one of the best players in the league, he's does something that the Cavs have a great need for and he's still young. The Cavs already have a guy who does the kinds of things Wiggins will be looking to do, only Wiggins will never be able to do it as good.

I have no doubt that Wiggins has the potential to be a greater star than Love but when and if he reaches that potential no one knows and waiting on it shortens the window for greatness with LeBron James.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Why wait when you have the best player in the league.

because you can be completely set up for the present and the future with two young studs like irving and wiggins developing alongside the best player in the world. and still probably get love for the rest of their current and future assets when minnesota comes to their senses. like if i were a wolves fan and they took a package of lee and klay or barnes instead of bennett, waiters, thompson, the brendan haywood contract, and future firsts, with cleveland taking back a shitty contract, i would burn my wolves jersey.

i like to think even the cavs aren't that stupid, and wonder if lebron is forcing their hand by using his 2 year contract for leverage. like i don't expect him to leave in two years but he can threaten to if they don't make the moves he'd like them to make.

fuckin lebron
                        Last edited by chris; Sat Jul 19, 2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Basically, when you pursue players like Mike Miller and Ray Allen, you're in championship mode and you need to do what it takes to win. Lebron with his 2 year contract is in win-now mode and will use it leverage. If your focus is to end a 50 year drought, then trading for Love is the best way to go. Is the ensuing success sustainable? Depends on how you view the word "sustainable". For a few years? yeah. But when Lebron leaves (or retires) and so does Love and Irving after they win a ring or two, they will have no continuity and will have to start from the bottom of the heap. It's the sacrifice one makes to win a championship. The Celtics had to make a similar sacrifice with Al Jefferson, whom they parlayed in that trade for KG.

Love is such a dynamic offensive star and even though his defense is mediocre, the good rebounding makes up for it. Personally, ESPN and all of America wants to see this happen... they want to view the Canadian kids as nothing more than mere currency to buy something bigger. Not to sound like some Don Cherry, but if Wiggins was some Chicago or New York kid... they'd be in awe of his capabilities and he'd be the last person involved in trade talks. If he does get traded, I hope this lights a fire in Wiggins and he uses this as fuel.

As for Wiggins coming to Canada when his contract's up in Minnesota (if does get traded there), I doubt he'd come home. I'm sure Adidas and his inner circle will make sure of that. Who knows what can happen by 2018 though. He might turn flop or he could become a superstar. Je ne sais pas.
                          Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• The whole point of the NBA is to win titles.

LeBron James is 29. He'll probably play for another 8-10 years. He came back to Cleveland to make amends. He can never leave again and he signed the short deal to align with the new CBA where the cap is expected to be raised a lot, allowing him to sign a gigantic max contract then, we're talking record setting contract.

Love is only 25 years old.

So I ask you, how is it short sighted to trade for him? James' clock is ticking, he can be winning titles now and later without Andrew Wggins' help. Honestly, do you think anyone in Cleveland give a shit about 5-10 years out if they win 1,2,3,4 titles over that time?

Comment

• If the Cavs took Parker , this wouldn't be discussed. Wiggins is a 2-3 year project.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                The whole point of the NBA is to win titles. ...

Love is only 25 years old.

So I ask you, how is it short sighted to trade for him? James' clock is ticking, he can be winning titles now and later without Andrew Wggins' help. Honestly, do you think anyone in Cleveland give a shit about 5-10 years out if they win 1,2,3,4 titles over that time?
                                i do get all these points. they're quite reasonable.

i'd just rather be the 1996 lakers than the 2010 heat. in that same summer lakers signed shaq in free agency and kept the raw prospect they drafted (technically traded for on draft night), won titles once kobe grew into his game and then more titles once shaq left to become fat and old. if they give up wiggins and max out lebron, love, and irving, i think they'll plateau much the same way the 13/14 heat did in a few years and won't have much room to maneuver. (i know it's not quite the same in that shaq was younger than lebron and his contract was longer, but comparable situations).

wiggins and irving give them two franchise players to build on beyond the prime-lebron era (and i think we're at the end of lebron's prime).

and like i said, i still think they should try to trade for love and can put together a better package without wiggins than the other rumoured offers.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                LeBron James is 29. He'll probably play for another 8-10 years. He came back to Cleveland to make amends. He can never leave again and he signed the short deal to align with the new CBA where the cap is expected to be raised a lot, allowing him to sign a gigantic max contract then, we're talking record setting contract.
                                if the bold is true and he's not using that short contract for leverage than there is absolutely no way i'd include wiggins in talks. at least not until they absolutely have to (trade deadline). then i'd think about it. not sure if i'd pull the trigger though

Comment

Working...
                                X