Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetical: Would you trade DD/Amir to get Wiggins/Bennett?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chico wrote: View Post
    It doesn't matter whether any of us would or not. Masai wouldn't, unless he's willing to toss everything he has said about culture and commitment out with the trash. Before anyone started giving Lowry the title of soul of the team, DD and Amir were the soul and dedication that helped turn Lowry around. Those 3 are the heart and soul of the team now, and KL just committed to what MU is doing, which is NOT unloading his 2 pals, for a couple of green kids, right after signing him. Silliness.
    After seeing more than 2/3rds of people would do this deal, had to repeat my basic point, with an addendum.

So many are all over managing this team like a fantasy game, even if it means that the GM that everyone idolizes destroys his rep around the entire league as a man with integrity and honour with players, to say nothing of turning everything he has spoke of, in terms of building long term culture, into nothing but BS lip service. Yup, watch them future FAs come running to Toronto!!

Comment

Obviously this trade has to exist in a bubble, and would never happen now after all that has transpired over the last six months. You cannot stop a giant battleship on a dime; its momentum is so great the order has to be given miles in advance. It would scuttle the goodwill created by the rebrand and the apparently huge amount of new season ticket sales. It would render the re-signing of Patterson and Vasquez as foolish uses of money. And we wouldn't trade Lowry's "brother" after signing Lowry to a four-year deal because it would be in totally bad faith.

That said, if this was a fantasy scenario.... Yes, of course I would make this trade. Amir and DD have 3 years left in total under control of the team; Wiggins/Bennett have potentially 16 (9 for Wiggins assuming the 5yr extension and 7 for Bennett given he's already played a year).

Wiggins is a natural. He's got that creative part of the game you just can't teach. I doubt he has the work ethic of Demar (very few do), but even with that narrowing the gap of what they will achieve in this league, I think he still comes out ahead over the long term.

I also think dreaming of Wiggins coming home after six years is just a fantasy. Kyrie Irving has been one of the most disgruntled rookie contracts of recent years and even he signed his max. No point in torturing ourselves for the next several months and years. If Wiggins ends up here somehow, great, but at this point we probably need to accept that the dream is over and cheer for him in whatever jersey he's got on.

Comment

Amir for Thompson + 2 2nd round picks.

Comment

No...Demar Stays,period.
          His got my respect and finally raptors have respect from the league,bc of Demar.
          We finally have competitive team and now ure suggesting 2 go backwards with this trade.
          Everyone don't worry,Wiggins will come home, just give him time...just look what happen with the Cavs, Lebron is back home.
          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
            Three way deal,
            Kevin Love TO Cleveland
            Cleveland sends Bennett and 1 First Round Picks to Minnesota
            DD and Amir Johnson is sent to Minnesota with a first round pick ( 2016)
            Wiggins and Tristan Thompson is sent to Toronto

Minnesota receives Bennett, DD and Amir and 2 -1st round picks
            Cleveland receives Love
            Toronto receives Wiggins and Thompson

Dont know how happy KL will be, but the Raptors when have TRoss at the SG, Wiggins at the SF, P Pat/Thompson at the PF and JV at the 5. and about 6.5 million under the luxury tax.
            If other Cleveland accepted, I would do this deal in a heatbeat.

But that's a very high offer for Love, if the next best offer is David Fucking Lee and Harrison Stinky Barnes.

Comment

I think the most likely three team trade scenario is as follows:

CLE gets Love
              MIN gets DD and Amir + picks
              TOR gets Wiggins, Thompson and Kevin Martin

Here, Cleveland gets Love. Minny gets rid of Martins salary, a few picks to build for the future or trade as valuable assets in the draft picks, while staying competitive in the short-term by receiving an all star upgrade at the 2 and a veteran pf with a defensive acumen and enough shooting to play beside Pekovic. Finally, Toronto gets it Canadian content without leaving an onerous roster holes to fill in the near-term. Even though we wouldn't have any glaring holes and would still probably make the playoffs in the East, I think that such a trade would signal a rebuild for the Raps, whereby Masai pulls a Nene/Afflalo move and trades Lowry by the trade deadline (possibly Vasquez and Patterson as well, depending on the available options).
              Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

Here's hoping 2014-2015 breaks the cycle!!! #WeTheNorth

Comment

Abused Raptors Fan wrote: View Post
                I think the most likely three team trade scenario is as follows:

CLE gets Love
                MIN gets DD and Amir + picks
                TOR gets Wiggins, Thompson and Kevin Martin

Here, Cleveland gets Love. Minny gets rid of Martins salary, a few picks to build for the future or trade as valuable assets in the draft picks, while staying competitive in the short-term by receiving an all star upgrade at the 2 and a veteran pf with a defensive acumen and enough shooting to play beside Pekovic. Finally, Toronto gets it Canadian content without leaving an onerous roster holes to fill in the near-term. Even though we wouldn't have any glaring holes and would still probably make the playoffs in the East, I think that such a trade would signal a rebuild for the Raps, whereby Masai pulls a Nene/Afflalo move and trades Lowry by the trade deadline (possibly Vasquez and Patterson as well, depending on the available options).
                I think that's fair return for Love (a bit similar to what Orlando got for Dwight -- Afflalo, Vucevic, Harkless, picks). But I just can't get over the idea that Cleveland might trade Wiggins, what a waste. No one is offering anything good, and they give up their best asset. Oh well.

By the way, does Minnesota really wants to get rid of Martin's salary in this case? Martin is not a bad contract. And he would still be their 2nd best wing player after this trade. If they want to win now, they should keep him.
                Maybe they'd want to get rid of Chase Budinger's contract, though.

Comment

Working...
                X