No announcement yet.

Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think another year of chemistry and health will put us in the top 5 defensively. Stop trying to convulate facts. We were 30th when Casey started and depending on the stat you want to argue anywhere between 7th and 10th now. 20 spots of improvement with a developing centre and starting two second year players and not one single elite man defender on the entire team.

Casey gets the credit for that. PERIOD

You can still question some of his play calls and rotations or whatever because there may or may not be validity there. But at least give the man credit for the things he is good at
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

You should put a poll and let us rank Casey as a coach like a scale of 1-10
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        I think another year of chemistry and health will put us in the top 5 defensively. Stop trying to convulate facts. We were 30th when Casey started and depending on the stat you want to argue anywhere between 7th and 10th now. 20 spots of improvement with a developing centre and starting two second year players and not one single elite man defender on the entire team.

Casey gets the credit for that. PERIOD

You can still question some of his play calls and rotations or whatever because there may or may not be validity there. But at least give the man credit for the things he is good at
        Moving up from 30th isn't an achievement. The next Lakers coach regardless of ability will have a similar effect.

Casey got the team to 48 wins and into the playoffs. He deserves credit for that but to say he is anything but mediocre is a stretch until he does something. Repeating last season's results should cause management to look for a coach. He had one good season, that deserves an extension but he still shouldn't be considered a long term solution.

His season looks great compared to the past Raptors season but not special compared to other franchises normal playoff years. He is a journeyman coach based solely on the past and not the future.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
          Moving up from 30th isn't an achievement. The next Lakers coach regardless of ability will have a similar effect.

Casey got the team to 48 wins and into the playoffs. He deserves credit for that but to say he is anything but mediocre is a stretch until he does something. Repeating last season's results should cause management to look for a coach. He had one good season, that deserves an extension but he still shouldn't be considered a long term solution.

His season looks great compared to the past Raptors season but not special compared to other franchises normal playoff years. He is a journeyman coach based solely on the past and not the future.
          It will be interesting to see what Casey can pull off now that most of the roster isn't playing for contracts. Based on everything that the team has said about the coach they seem to have bought into his system. If the team regresses significantly than it's probably time for a new voice in the locker room.

Comment

Anything short of a locked out, picket lined, human barricaded Jurassic Park revolt, should see Casey through the end of the second year of the contract he earned.

With the only possible exception I can think of being GregPop riding up from San Antonio in full Raptors regalia begging and pleading in full front page newspapers ads for Casey's job.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post

Casey got the team to 48 wins and into the playoffs. He deserves credit for that but to say he is anything but mediocre is a stretch until he does something. ...
              You are funnier than Richard Pryor. Keep it coming. Oh man. This is some good stuff.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                Anything short of a locked out, picket lined, human barricaded Jurassic Park revolt, should see Casey through the end of the second year of the contract he earned.

With the only possible exception I can think of being GregPop riding up from San Antonio in full Raptors regalia begging and pleading in full front page newspapers ads for Casey's job.
                I don't think there's any real security with Casey. He should get through the first year. But if they regress this year, and then don't start well next year, I can see him being fired early in that 2nd year as opposed to seeing it play out.

Comment

The expectation should be 50+ wins, top 4 conference, division win and first round victory. Anything short is a disaster. A first round exit means losing to a lower seed two seasons in a row.

Comment

Look Dwane Casey is good at instilling the fundamentals like hard man to man defense, pound the rock, earn your minutes etc.

He's a good coach for the talent on this roster: we all know we are not a championship contender, and its better to get the intangibles down

However, if we ever want to get to that championship contending stage, Casey is not the guy.
                    He is horrible at decision making in game and his rotations are horrible

He does not utilize the bench properly, and is too stubborn when he plays his veterans heavy minutes even when they are slumping
                    He used Hansbrough as a backup C, and gave Fields zero burn last year. In the playoffs when Field was the only one playing defense on JJ, Casey stopped playing him.
                    There was that Charlotte game where he didn't foul to stop the clock.
                    Then there was that time when Amir Johnson was shooting 3s.

At the end of games and out of timeouts, his offensive sets are mediocre at best, and in the playoffs, he made almost no adjustments on JJ and Paul Pierce and it costed us the series.
                    We are a young team right now, so its all good, but in 2 years, I want a guy like Jeff Van Gundy for KD or Kevin Love

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                      Look Dwane Casey is good at instilling the fundamentals like hard man to man defense, pound the rock, earn your minutes etc.

He's a good coach for the talent on this roster: we all know we are not a championship contender, and its better to get the intangibles down

However, if we ever want to get to that championship contending stage, Casey is not the guy.

He does not utilize the bench properly, and is too stubborn when he plays his veterans heavy minutes even when they are slumping
                      He used Hansbrough as a backup C, and gave Fields zero burn last year. In the playoffs when Field was the only one playing defense on JJ, Casey stopped playing him.

At the end of games and out of timeouts, his offensive sets are mediocre at best, and in the playoffs, he made almost no adjustments on JJ and Paul Pierce and it costed us the series.
                      We are a young team right now, so its all good, but in 2 years, I want a guy like Jeff Van Gundy for KD or Kevin Love
                      That stupid code of coaches not discussing jobs that aren't vacant is the tough part. JVG or Adelman won't even consider Toronto unless we fire Casey first. Next season is when Toronto can change coaches without major disruptions.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post

You can point out the Fields situation, and that's valid. But he also made good moves. Hansbrough as a backup C is a good risk to try, when your only other bench C is 6'6. But he did use 2Pat well, and his utilizing GV in 2-guard sets was a smart way to use his bench, letting Lowry get on-court rest minutes.
                        I want Amir to shoot 3's in non-essential scenarios, because it's good for him to try and add a couple of feet of range.
                        @Boymusic66

Comment

I thought Fields was having back spasms after he fell hard in the playoffs and that's why he wasn't used.

There really wasn't much that could be done. We had noone else who could stop JJ, and the Nets have five guys who can score so you don't wanna double team too much.

And to say it's a disaster if we lose in the first round again... man you gotta straighten that out. Progress isn't linear.

If I'd told you that at the start of last year, you'd have thought it was ridiculous.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
                            You can point out the Fields situation, and that's valid. But he also made good moves. Hansbrough as a backup C is a good risk to try, when your only other bench C is 6'6. But he did use 2Pat well, and his utilizing GV in 2-guard sets was a smart way to use his bench, letting Lowry get on-court rest minutes.
                            I want Amir to shoot 3's in non-essential scenarios, because it's good for him to try and add a couple of feet of range.
                            nope, i don't want him shooting 3s at all.
                            it limits his putback oppourtunites, and teams completely sag off of him at 3 point land
                            having a decent mid-range shot is good, i would like him taking that shot when teams give him that

but playing salmons over fields for like 28 minutes a game really got us done
                            especially against OKC, where he was a liability on both sides of the ball

he played alan anderson heavy minutes too over terrence ross and fields, when anderson is not our future

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                              I thought Fields was having back spasms after he fell hard in the playoffs and that's why he wasn't used.

There really wasn't much that could be done. We had noone else who could stop JJ, and the Nets have five guys who can score so you don't wanna double team too much.

And to say it's a disaster if we lose in the first round again... man you gotta straighten that out. Progress isn't linear.

If I'd told you that at the start of last year, you'd have thought it was ridiculous.
                              Losing in the first round means being upset two season in a row. The playoff teams should be Cleveland, Heat, Miami, Wizards, Atlanta Charlotte, Chicago or Indy if you remove the best three and the worst team then the leftover is beatable by the Raptors. If they can't beat the bottom four the coaching needs to be changed since there is nothing left to be proven regular season.

Comment

I can't wait until Cleveland implodes this season so I can lord it over all you guys...in fact I'm making a list...
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X