Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Based on what. Every team projected to make the playoff has won a round with the teams like the Celtics on the border and nobody thinks Casey is better than Stevens which means Casey is at the bottom not the top. The #15-17 is arbitrary with a closer look Casey is late 20 at best based on actual performance and history. Team has yet to win 50 or a playoff round has been in the 20s' in ORtg anbd DRtg in his tenure and its year 5.
    I'm not gonna have this argument. Just know that the vast majority of the basketball world doesn't agree. I think you and a lot of other people here are a little biased.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      I give Casey a ton of credit for having the type of personality that Masai feels he can work with. That's not a sarcastic comment, but an important skill in an ego-driven industry like the NBA.

You may not like it, but I honestly feel like Masai is imposing his will on the franchise and vision of how he wants his players to be (i.e. tough, smart,..) and play (i.e. not like Casey's system last season), in spite of Casey.
      I agree, and tangentially:

If I had to choose between all leadership or all tactics, I'd pick leadership (obviously every option is both to varying degrees).

That's because, you can hire assistants to devise schemes and scout opponents, but I'm not sure that assistants can take the head coach's role in communicating and motivating his players.
      "Bruno?
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
        And yet I would stress, with respect, that you offer no alternative theory as to why Masai has kept Casey on. I have heard it said that Masai "gets along" with Casey. I can't remember - maybe it was said that Masai "trusts" Casey ... but trusts him to do what:

Fuck up his franchise? Teach/preach bad habits?

Either Masai is a blind idiot ... or he sees things differently. And as the team starts to demonstrate, early in this season, under Casey, that they are starting to "get it" ... how can we not at least acknowledge that what seems to be going very right might have something to do with Casey's leadership (broadly construed), after all?

And I think you really ought to acknowledge is that I haven't been trying to "disprove criticisms of Casey" in the way that you mean. Put another way, I haven't second-guessed you (or anyone) when it comes to your analysis of what matters, and what is successful, on a basketball court.

!

(I have said, before, that I think it only fair to factor in injuries and personnel issues into last year's playoff debacle).

But again - I do appreciate your good-faith discursive efforts. It's been a lot more fun watching the games, after reading and discussing basketball matters here, than it was last season.
        Casey was kept due to MLSE and financial reasons. He placated the masses and talks a good game for the general public.

All things have been said (by me) in your previous attempts to find justification for Casey being here. I know that things get lost in the volume of posts sometimes but this is the third different time that you have, more or less, tried to broach this same topic.

Casey would have to go above and beyond to really prove that he has improved. Regular season wins will not be a factor in that equation because he has proved the last two years that he can get wins despite flawed systems and principles. Casey would really need to demonstrate an improved awareness and execution after timeouts and on inbound plays. He would need to really demonstrate rotations and rest days that allow our players are at their peak come playoffs. He would need to pull a player off the court for doing something against the system, even if that player is DD or KL. He frankly needs to demonstrate tangible improvements in every facet of his job AND demonstrate that the impacts are in fact improvements that he implemented and is not just the result of better players and new assistants.

Tall order for the man but the wealth of evidence stacked against him was his own fault.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
          I'm not gonna have this argument. Just know that the vast majority of the basketball world doesn't agree. I think you and a lot of other people here are a little biased.
          Fan bases usually hate on their coaches. I've gone on other teams blogs after we've beaten them this season. Bucks fans were angry at Kidd for putting Giannis too late in the 4th after we made our run. Celtics fans were angry Thomas was kept out so long in the 4th. Mavs fans were angry John Jenkins didn't get a run. It's nothing new.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Casey was kept due to MLSE and financial reasons. He placated the masses and talks a good game for the general public.

All things have been said (by me) in your previous attempts to find justification for Casey being here. I know that things get lost in the volume of posts sometimes but this is the third different time that you have, more or less, tried to broach this same topic.

Casey would have to go above and beyond to really prove that he has improved. Regular season wins will not be a factor in that equation because he has proved the last two years that he can get wins despite flawed systems and principles. Casey would really need to demonstrate an improved awareness and execution after timeouts and on inbound plays. He would need to really demonstrate rotations and rest days that allow our players are at their peak come playoffs. He would need to pull a player off the court for doing something against the system, even if that player is DD or KL. He frankly needs to demonstrate tangible improvements in every facet of his job AND demonstrate that the impacts are in fact improvements that he implemented and is not just the result of better players and new assistants.

Tall order for the man but the wealth of evidence stacked against him was his own fault.
            Give me a break. The proof is in the pudding, and right now (which, let's be honest, is what counts) the pudding is 4 and 0.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
              Fan bases usually hate on their coaches. I've gone on other teams blogs after we've beaten them this season. Bucks fans were angry at Kidd for putting Giannis too late in the 4th after we made our run. Celtics fans were angry Thomas was kept out so long in the 4th. Mavs fans were angry John Jenkins didn't get a run. It's nothing new.
              Nor rational.

Comment

• Everything Dwane Casey

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                Give me a break. The proof is in the pudding, and right now (which, let's be honest, is what counts) the pudding is 4 and 0.
                Lol. That's the same worthless argument that people used last year at the start.

The proof is in the long term success, which starts in the playoffs.

4-0 against some weaker teams does not impress me.

But thank you for proving my point about Casey placating the masses. Well timed.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Lol. That's the same worthless argument that people used last year at the start.

The proof is in the long term success, which starts in the playoffs.

4-0 against some weaker teams does not impress me.

But thank you for proving my point about Casey placating the masses. Well timed.
                  I guess it's all the sheeple who support Casey.
                  "Bruno?
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

You may not like it, but I honestly feel like Masai is imposing his will on the franchise and vision of how he wants his players to be (i.e. tough, smart,..) and play (i.e. not like Casey's system last season), in spite of Casey.
                    Oh, I am completely indifferent about Casey and, as I've said before, was surprised he wasn't fired after the team quit in the playoffs in the middle of a winnable game 2. I just think it's silly that people refuse to give him any credit at all for the successes of the last two seasons but ascribe blame to him for everything that went wrong.

I agree with you on the Masai point, though I am not sure why you think he is doing it in spite of Casey when he could have just as easily fired him at any time in the last two seasons and not batted an eyelash. I wrote earlier this year that this was the first season Masai had flexibility to remake the roster and he added players who fit the mould he mentioned in his introductory press conference of being a tough, physical, old school Eastern Conference team. I don't see the separation between Casey and MU on this point but I'm not privy to their internal management discussions, so I could be wrong.

Comment

I guess it's all the sheeple who support Casey.
                      Lol never heard the term sheeple before.

Under Casey, you can point to wins and banners and that is good enough for the general TV audience to digest. MLSE cares more about the general TV audience than the hardcore hoop followers.

Within the hardcore followers though, of which RR is ground zero, the opinion on him differs greatly than that of the general audience. No one will garner 100% consensus, so outliers can exist without being sheeple.

Comment

• I have no problem with someone supporting Casey as a good coach, I just need a little more than "look at the record" and "he hasn't been fired yet" as proof before I can take such claims seriously.

Wealth of evidence exists for a reason.

Comment

Evidence, please. I keep seeing this assertion made on this board and on other Raptors websites but I have never seen any evidence backing up the statement.

What can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            Evidence, please. I keep seeing this assertion made on this board and on other Raptors websites but I have never seen any evidence backing up the statement.

No one can know why he was kept cause Masai doesn't say.

The evidence is in the quality of his work; of which we have years of poor decisions and scape goating.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

And I only posted those because WildLing continues to insist that I refuse to propose theories why Casey was retained beyond "he did a good job".

What evidence is there that Masai kept Casey for creating a winning environment? There isn't any.

Comment

I agree, and tangentially:

If I had to choose between all leadership or all tactics, I'd pick leadership (obviously every option is both to varying degrees).

That's because, you can hire assistants to devise schemes and scout opponents, but I'm not sure that assistants can take the head coach's role in communicating and motivating his players.
                                My feeling RE the bold is, and always has been, that for 4 million a year (or whatever it is), you shouldn't have to choose.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X