1. Spoelstra
      2. Popovich
      3. Stevens
      4. MacMillan
      5. Casey
      6. Van Gundy
      7. D'antoni
      8. Hornacek
      I'm starting to like Spoelsra... He's one hell of a coach(but you have to be at soccer-fit level to play for him )

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
        I’m pretty sure everyone was predicting we would be a 4-8 seed fighting for 45 wins instead of a potential 1 seed reaching for 60 wins.
        If he can get to 58-60+ wins and the first seed, he'd have my vote.

Comment

• I think if Boston or Toronto finishes first then that coach will get it. Popovich is like Lebron and the MVP award. He could win it every year but won't unless maybe they finished second....but that's highly unlikely now with the Kawhi injury. Maybe it should be Spoelstra and he could get it if they finished as high as third. The Celtic "miracle" without Hayward is a story and the Raptors apparent "culture change" which to me seems on thin ice of late is the other story. I don't think Ty Lue or J Kidd are contenders.

Comment

• Every minute that Ibaka is on the court, when JV, Poelt, or Bebe could be, is a vote to get rid of Casey. Every year he seems to randomly play unproductive players,and not play productive players, this costs the team many wins every year. Great coaches don't do this.

In no way is it remotely excusable to have a below average player like Ibaka getting over 1000 minutes at this point, even if we're thin at 4.

OG, though he looks like a great prospect, should not be getting anywhere near the playing time he's getting either, but there is no clear alternative, as Norm is not an upgrade, though I would like to see more DeRozan/Wright/Lowry line ups.

Other than that, the coaching staff has done a great job, I don't know to what degree they get credit for DeRozan's play so far, but it's been fantastic, he is playing at a star level for the first time in his career and that is making a huge difference to this team.

In terms of top coaches, Cases is not in the same stratosphere as Popovich and Stevens. But neither is anybody else. So the odds of improving the coach are slim.

I'd roll the dice on Željko Obradović.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              In any event, COY top 8 for me

1. Spoelstra
              2. Popovich
              3. Stevens
              4. MacMillan
              5. Casey
              6. Van Gundy
              7. D'antoni
              8. Hornacek
              With all the injuries and turmoil the Clippers have had this year, you've got to put Doc Rivers somewhere on that list.

Comment

• Speaking of coaches, here's an excellent story of where Steve Kerr got his Cyclone play that leads to some of their easiest dunks. Stole it from Hoiberg (which is why it's called Cyclone) who stole it from...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-sec...lay-1516201019
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

1. Spoelstra
                  2. Popovich
                  3. Stevens
                  4. MacMillan
                  5. Casey
                  6. Van Gundy
                  7. D'antoni
                  8. Hornacek
                  No Thibs?

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                    I'm starting to like Spoelsra... He's one hell of a coach(but you have to be at soccer-fit level to play for him )
                    This should be the norm for all NBA players, instead of the exception.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      This should be the norm for all NBA players, instead of the exception.
                      It's impossible for basketball players to maintain soccer-level fitness.
                      Last edited by rocwell; Thu Jan 18, 2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

1. Spoelstra
                        2. Popovich
                        3. Stevens
                        4. MacMillan
                        5. Casey
                        6. Van Gundy
                        7. D'antoni
                        8. Hornacek
                        For me..

The Contenders.

Eric Spoelstra..... Once again.. making the most of what he has ...48 minutes of hell to play these guys every single night..
                        Nate McMillan.... Indy was perceived to be lottery bound... and here they are scrapping for 6th place seed.
                        Dwane Casey...... Raps have exceeded the voters expectations once again.... 5years running cant be all luck...
                        Kenny Atkinson.... The nets with no draft picks even ending in "teen" and no free agents to speak of are not a stat padder game anymore. No one likes playing in Brooklyn. The Nets play hard all the time. Nice job Kenny.
                        Steve Kerr... Yes he has 4 all stars and two potential HOF'ers...yes he has one of the best rosters of all time....but he gets them all to play his style and they listen to everything he has to say with no bitching......Its not easy managing expectations and some really big egos.
                        Tom Thibideau....For seeing his roster although a "fun team to watch" and a "team on the rise" didn't have a foggy clue how to win or play defense when it mattered.... out goes Lavine and Dunn and in come Butler and Gibson....and coach Thibs has made incredible use of what GM Thibs gave him....

Consideration...

D'Antoni, Popovitch, ... they just keep winning but aren't in the running
                        Jeff Horancek .... to me the Knicks decent showing is more of a reflection on just how big a dud the Zen Master was. Horanchek is a decent coach but its not an outstanding year ..
                        Jay Triano.... on an interim basis.. with a team that is perennially an abject piece of shit with no floor leadership he has them 4 or 5 spots above their usual last place in the west finish.

On the Hot Seat

Jason Kidd... more was expected... a lot more.
                        Frank Vogel .... they can finish last without you too.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                          For me..

The Contenders.

Eric Spoelstra..... Once again.. making the most of what he has ...48 minutes of hell to play these guys every single night..
                          Nate McMillan.... Indy was perceived to be lottery bound... and here they are scrapping for 6th place seed.
                          Dwane Casey...... Raps have exceeded the voters expectations once again.... 5years running cant be all luck...
                          Kenny Atkinson.... The nets with no draft picks even ending in "teen" and no free agents to speak of are not a stat padder game anymore. No one likes playing in Brooklyn. The Nets play hard all the time. Nice job Kenny.
                          Steve Kerr... Yes he has 4 all stars and two potential HOF'ers...yes he has one of the best rosters of all time....but he gets them all to play his style and they listen to everything he has to say with no bitching......Its not easy managing expectations and some really big egos.
                          Tom Thibideau....For seeing his roster although a "fun team to watch" and a "team on the rise" didn't have a foggy clue how to win or play defense when it mattered.... out goes Lavine and Dunn and in come Butler and Gibson....and coach Thibs has made incredible use of what GM Thibs gave him....

Consideration...

D'Antoni, Popovitch, ... they just keep winning but aren't in the running
                          Jeff Horancek .... to me the Knicks decent showing is more of a reflection on just how big a dud the Zen Master was. Horanchek is a decent coach but its not an outstanding year ..
                          Jay Triano.... on an interim basis.. with a team that is perennially an abject piece of shit with no floor leadership he has them 4 or 5 spots above their usual last place in the west finish.

On the Hot Seat

Jason Kidd... more was expected... a lot more.
                          Frank Vogel .... they can finish last without you too.
                          To not even list Brad Stevens as a contender. That's not even just bias it's just flat out stupidity.

Comment

• Stevens loses his star player in his first game, and still rattles off 16 wins in a row, and at the half way mark was 3-4 games ahead of the 2nd place team. He's my COY right now.

Comment

• Yup, not saying I like it....but can easily see Stevens winning it. Unless of course, Raps lock up the 1 seed.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                                To not even list Brad Stevens as a contender. That's not even just bias it's just flat out stupidity.
                                No, it's bias. Stupidity would be wagering money on it.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X