Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Dwane Casey

I feel like this guy is a much better coach than he's given credit for. Really how many coaches in the league can you say are objectively better?

Definitely Better:
    - Thibs
    - Carlisle
    - SVG
    - Rivers
    - Pop
    - Hollins

About the same level:
    - Vogel
    - Spo
    - Hornacek

So this to me makes him at least a top 10 coach. Surround him with great offensive minds as assistants (which we have) and you've got an amazing coaching staff.
    Gets extended after successful season
    30.84%
    Is fired during the season
    26.17%
    Is not resigned and replaced
    42.99%

I'd say most of us don't see enough games of other guys to dissect other coaches as much.

I also think Hollins is constantly overrated. He had very talented teams in Memphis, so I don't know how much you can really say their success was because of coaching. They had a very obvious strength (big men) that any basketball fan would've known to try and exploit.

Still, there are definite flaws to Casey as a coach, and he's got a limited opportunity to show he can grow as a coach.

Comment

Stevens, Budenhoizer, Stotts, and Clifford are all guys better than or equal to Casey IMO.

Casey is an average nba coach....above average at getting the message across/keeping everyone on same page but below average at game time decisions.

All in all I think he is average but the perfect coach for the next two seasons.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Stevens, Budenhoizer, Stotts, and Clifford are all guys better than or equal to Casey IMO.

Casey is an average nba coach....above average at getting the message across/keeping everyone on same page but below average at game time decisions.

All in all I think he is average but the perfect coach for the next two seasons.
        Budenholzer - yes.

Stevens - really hard to say but the complete lack of evidence would cause me to lean on the side of probably not

Stotts - eeehhhh, he's like the opposite of Casey. A lot of defensive talent on that team (Lopez, Aldridge, Batum, Matthews) but they had one of the worst Ds in the league.

Clifford - yeah, I'd say he's Casey's equal

Casey's in the 2nd tier of coaches.

Tier 1:

Thibs
        Carlisle
        SVG
        Rivers
        Pop

Tier 1.5:

Budenholzer (because he seems great but I'm not ready to put him with those top guys yet, he just hasn't shown his stuff for long enough)

Tier 2:

Hollins
        Casey
        Clifford
        Stotts
        Vogel
        Spo
        Hornacek
        Joerger (? maybe, I'm not totally sold, he's got a sweet name though)

Casey solidly in the top 15. I think he's an above average NBA coach, and I think the next two years will determine exactly how far above average he really is.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

There are four things that really bug me about Casey:

1) His teams defensive collapse in his 2nd year.
          2) Throwing his kids under the bus.
          3) Plays out of time outs.
          4) "Hell or high water" - whether that is Andrea, Rudy or someone else.. When he loves a player they have free reign no matter how many bone headed moves they make.

But the players love to play for him. And one of the most important things when coaching adults is to earn their respect. He's got that. A tactical coach would be great but if they can't motivate or if players tune them out then its not worth it.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            There are four things that really bug me about Casey:

1) His teams defensive collapse in his 2nd year.
            2) Throwing his kids under the bus.
            3) Plays out of time outs.
            4) "Hell or high water" - whether that is Andrea, Rudy or someone else.. When he loves a player they have free reign no matter how many bone headed moves they make.

But the players love to play for him. And one of the most important things when coaching adults is to earn their respect. He's got that. A tactical coach would be great but if they can't motivate or if players tune them out then its not worth it.
            Also no accountability for Veterans. Gay, Bargs and even DD never got pulled for poor play. Not to mention Salmons and Anderson. Guys end up in the doghouse to long. Spurs would yank Duncan if he wasn't playing properly and they give Daye and Bonner minutes with more time if they play properly.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Also no accountability for Veterans. Gay, Bargs and even DD never got pulled for poor play. Not to mention Salmons and Anderson. Guys end up in the doghouse to long. Spurs would yank Duncan if he wasn't playing properly and they give Daye and Bonner minutes with more time if they play properly.
              Yet his players absolutely love him, including the younger ones. Might we not be misreading the situation?
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                Yet his players absolutely love him, including the younger ones. Might we not be misreading the situation?
                They were winning. Keeping players commitment if they start .500 or exit the first round again is the test. Casey's flaws are just quirks when the team is playing with the second highest winning % in the conference post-trade.

Comment

I do find it hilarious how little credit Casey gets for building a top 10 defense here when supposedly:

- Val has not matured on that end of the floor yet
                  - Ross has the physical tools but is prone to mistakes and needs to improve defensive IQ
                  - DeRozan is a sieve on defense and can't guard anyone.

Casey working miracles

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                    I do find it hilarious how little credit Casey gets for building a top 10 defense here when supposedly:

- Val has not matured on that end of the floor yet
                    - Ross has the physical tools but is prone to mistakes and needs to improve defensive IQ
                    - DeRozan is a sieve on defense and can't guard anyone.

Casey working miracles
                    Top 10 defense isn't that great. Houston had similar defensive numbers. If the team focus is defence being top ten sucks. Charlotte was 6th.

Comment

Ppl act like Casey is the only coach in the league that doesn't play young players. I'd like for ppl to find a coach that was starting two second year players and playing them 25+ mins each. Oh yeah a winning team while your at it.

It's also not fair to compare other coaches cause when don't watch their games with microscope like we do with Casey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Top 10 defense isn't that great. Houston had similar defensive numbers. If the team focus is defence being top ten sucks. Charlotte was 6th.
                        Top 10 defense and offense, not just focused on defense.

Only Toronto, Golden State, San Antonio, OKC and the Clippers were top 10 in both categories.

Comment

How about being top10 in defensive and offensive efficiency

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Casey is fine for now
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Ppl act like Casey is the only coach in the league that doesn't play young players. I'd like for ppl to find a coach that was starting two second year players and playing them 25+ mins each. Oh yeah a winning team while your at it.

It's also not fair to compare other coaches cause when don't watch their games with microscope like we do with Casey.

This. We were actually the only playoff team to start TWO players with two years or less experience.

Washington, Charlotte, Houston and Portland are the only other teams that even started 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X