Drop Buycks for Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RepTdot wrote: View Post
    might have some thing to do with almost $18mil already tied up in 2 PGs ahead of him in the depth chart in nash & lin and he's a defensive liability, not saying he's a star but he's a 40% 3pt shooter & his 8.8 assists was 2nd only to Chris Paul & 3.18 assist-turnover ratio ranked 5th overall... my point is he's not a 3rd string PG...he's better than that
    Well if that's the reason the Laker's waived him than why should the Raptors take a flyer? He'd be 3rd string in Toronto, and the Raptors also have more than $18M tied up in their two point guards.

And D'Antoni can make a PG look really good. You should look at Raymond Felton's numbers in 2010-2011. Or Jeremy Lin's in 2011-2012.

Comment

ya i know Toronto shouldn't pick him up...I've been saying he's better than a 3rd string PG and comparing Buycks to Marshall is a joke...anyway will be interesting to see where he lands and the role he gets..

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
        ya i know Toronto shouldn't pick him up...I've been saying he's better than a 3rd string PG and comparing Buycks to Marshall is a joke...anyway will be interesting to see where he lands and the role he gets..
        My apologies.. I thought you wanted the Raptors to take him. Misread your thoughts. Yeah.. would be interesting to see where he ends up.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          That is what I'm wondering.

Woj said they'd be looking to resign if he cleared waivers.

Maybe get him back at more years with less pay given his current status in league? Help secure cheap roster spot moving forward?

I'm just talking out loud here
          I'm wondering the same. Can anyone explain the Lakers thinking here? If his contract is <1M per, and given his production, then why waive him at all? And if he clears waivers then they want to resign him as per the tweet. But wouldn't that cost them more? It seems he would be worth more than 1M per. I'm not getting it.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            I think it terms of the contribution during practice. It couldn't hurt to have another guy in the gym everyday that moves the ball. It's good for building the culture
            Hey thead add me to your list, Cavs are finishing first.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
              I'm wondering the same. Can anyone explain the Lakers thinking here? If his contract is <1M per, and given his production, then why waive him at all? And if he clears waivers then they want to resign him as per the tweet. But wouldn't that cost them more? It seems he would be worth more than 1M per. I'm not getting it.
              I thought I saw something saying his salary was $2.0M. Others insist it is $900K. If the higher figure is right, that explains things.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                I would.
                Snap him up right away. There are not more than half a dozen guys in the league who can pass as well. He can clearly shoot the ball, too. It is not his fault that the entire Lakers team was dysfunctional last season.

If you want someone who can set up Valanciunas, A. Johnson, DeRozan, J. Johnson, Patterson, Williams, Hansbrough, then Marshall is the man. I agree, he is twice the player Buycks is or will ever be, and will only improve as he learns from Lowry and Co.
                Last edited by caccia; Sat Jul 19, 2014, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Yep, team with the worst record gets him. No bidding process like amnesty waivers.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                    Yep, the team with the worst record gets him. No bidding process like amnesty waivers.
                    But that's so....fair!

Comment

Marshall isn't that good. He turns the ball over at an alarmingly high rate for a pass first PG at over 25%. A PG who can't defend and turns the ball over more than 25% of the time, doesn't sound like a good fit for Casey.

Buycks isn't very good and I'm fine cutting him for the roster spot to use on a bit player, but at this point there are better options than Marshall.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                        Marshall isn't that good.
                        Marshall ranked second in the league among qualified point guards in assists per game, ahead of those pikers, John Wall, Ricky Rubio, and Ty Lawson. He did turn it over at a rate of 3.45 per 36 minutes, but that was still better than Rajon Rondo, John Wall, Stephen Curry, Michael Carter-Williams, and Russell Westbrook. What this comes down to is that he ranked seventh in the league in Assist/Turnover ratio (Lowry was eleventh). You can say the numbers were "inflated" due to playing style, but if you watched him with the Lakers, as I did, he was just marvelous at passing the ball. This was essentially his rookie season, so of course he has a lot of aspects of his game to improve--but not so many as Bruno Caboclo.

Comment

What's wrong with picking him up to use in a trade later in the season? You just know some PG is going to get injured by the all star break, or before. In the meantime, super cheap insurance for the Raps.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            What's wrong with picking him up to use in a trade later in the season? You just know some PG is going to get injured by the all star break, or before. In the meantime, super cheap insurance for the Raps.
                            Yup. Let's hope Masai puts in a bid, and some of the crappy teams aren't too interested in him.

Comment

RealGM reporting Buycks is indeed being waived in the next couple days.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
                                Marshall ranked second in the league among qualified point guards in assists per game, ahead of those pikers, John Wall, Ricky Rubio, and Ty Lawson. He did turn it over at a rate of 3.45 per 36 minutes, but that was still better than Rajon Rondo, John Wall, Stephen Curry, Michael Carter-Williams, and Russell Westbrook. What this comes down to is that he ranked seventh in the league in Assist/Turnover ratio (Lowry was eleventh). You can say the numbers were "inflated" due to playing style, but if you watched him with the Lakers, as I did, he was just marvelous at passing the ball. This was essentially his rookie season, so of course he has a lot of aspects of his game to improve--but not so many as Bruno Caboclo.
                                Yes his stats looked pretty for the Lakers last year but there is a very good reason he was waived by Phoenix and now by LA (even if they bring him back they are willing to risk losing him on a min salary); he isn't that good. Non-athletic point guards who can't defend, shoot or score don't last in this league. He is a good passer but he isn't an elite passer.

Those players you mentioned, Rondo - defense, penetration, Wall - athletic scorer, Curry - lights out shooter, Westbrook - super athletic scorer, are all more than one dimensional players. For a guy who brings nothing to the table other than passing, 25% turnovers is way way too high. If he had other high level attributes then you accept them as part of the greater good, but Marshall isn't close in any area of his game.

MCW was a rookie from a weak draft class, so not sure why his numbers are even mentioned.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X