Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General policy suggestion: "Everything ________" threads

Hi RR,

I have a small suggestion for the forums.

One important factor that makes a user want to check the forums is to see if there's been new discussion or new posts or topics.

I know the "Everything ________" threads are a long-standing feature of RR, but they don't give me any incentive to click on them because I can't be bothered to figure out when the newest discussion is or whether something else got buried in there. Further, once a new topic starts inside one of those threads, it effectively kills the last discussion, basically allowing for only one thing to be clearly discussed at a time.

I'm not suggesting doing away with these threads completely, but perhaps using them more as aggregator threads after a discussion has essentially petered itself out.

That would allow there to be multiple discussions about a player (say, his efficiency or contract or how he ranks relative to others playing his position) that eventually get merged into the aggregator thread. This would allow the conversations to be conveniently archived.

I know there's a preference for less clutter, but at this stage I think RR could use a few more active discussions. Even during the season it never "felt" that active even though I know it was.

Anyways, my $0.02.

Thanks for reading.

You do know there is a "New Posts" option right?

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
      Really? Usually when I'm reading a thread that's had other threads merged into it, it'll start me at the new "merged" posts (at least on tapatalk). Which often times I've already read, and is kinda annoying.

Also I kinda thought he meant like there's only room for one conversation/debate in those threads. If people are already discussing a topic, it's hard to get them off that one and discussing another.
      A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Its literally all I use.
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Wow. I agree completely. It's an easy fix too. I like his idea of allowing the separate conversation to finish up before merging it with the "Everything Thread". I only use the "What's New" feature and I still resonate with his thoughts. I can't be bothered to dig through the thread to find the interesting conversations, and even when I do find something, I wont comment on something that's buried six pages in.
          Good suggestion.

Comment

Yes, I know that, but the problem there is that there's no flow to the posts because they're all of differing subjects.

e_wheazhy_ wrote:
            Also I kinda thought he meant like there's only room for one conversation/debate in those threads. If people are already discussing a topic, it's hard to get them off that one and discussing another.
            Yes, also this. And a new subject in an "Everything" thread can effectively kill an old one that isn't yet finished.

Comment

I'm gonna have to agree with the OP on this one. I STRICTLY use the "New Posts" feature, but NEVER bother clicking on the "Everything ________" threads. Using them as an archive would be cool I think...but I'm not sure what happens to the posts when the threads are merged. If two concurrent threads get merged, do the posts get all jumbled up? That may make the archive useless as well.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Yes, also this. And a new subject in an "Everything" thread can effectively kill an old one that isn't yet finished.
                Alright. I'll ask the mods to be a little more aware before they merge certain topics into an existing "Everything" thread.

Comment

Thanks Doc. I'll try to think of some worthwhile threads when things pick up a little.

Comment

Wouldn't a good option be to merge when multiple of the same thread starts (example breaking trade news) and when it comes to a DeRozan story merge into "everything DeRozan" when it goes dormant? In other words let the conversation run its course and then tidy/house keep a few days later.

My .02

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      Wouldn't a good option be to merge when multiple of the same thread starts (example breaking trade news) and when it comes to a DeRozan story merge into "everything DeRozan" when it goes dormant? In other words let the conversation run its course and then tidy/house keep a few days later.

My .02
                      I agree 100% and that's typically what I've done in the past. We'll try and moderate this a little more efficiently moving forward.

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions folks.

Comment

Honestly, from what I've been seeing, is that people create the "Everything ____" threads, not mods, and generally just bring the conversations there.

A lot of times people can't be bothered to create a whole new thread for something that might not seem "thread" worthy, but still worth posting somewhere. I don't know about the other mods, but I very rarely will merge threads into the "Everythings".

Comment

Working...
                        X