How is it not obvious we are building for the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is it not obvious we are building for the future

I am having a very hard time understanding why we continue to talk about using stretch provisions and ridiculous topics like bringing on rent a players for short term that will eat into development. It seems so obvious to me that Masai looked at our roster and is developing a long term plan to get us out of mediocrity. That depends on two things: the development of our young core with a focus on improvement and continuity and to maintain flexibility for when Fields and Hayes et al coming off the books we can show so we can attract a huge name to play with a solid core. That will elevate us from mediocrity. I preach patients - not win now because it will set us back light years if we try right now.

Since free agency has essentially come and gone the idea of stretching a player or going after Luol Deng-type players has definitely passed.... thank goodness.

I agree with what you're saying.

Continuity = Asset Accumulation

Comment

Unless you are responding to something specifically said here on the forums, it seems to me your comment is aimed at the wind.
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I believe MU is trying to maintain the winning tradition (that was developed last season) while not forgetting the big picture (you refer to). There are many opinions here ...some over excited about certain moves. You used the right word "patience". After all there are responsibilities for the team to sell tickets and TV ads but it is a fine line. Some of us diehards dont mind having a losing season if we see the plan but its not everyone's cup of tea. MU is trying to do both...maintain a winning team while raising the bar on talent. Enjoy the journey.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          I believe MU is trying to maintain the winning tradition (that was developed last season) while not forgetting the big picture (you refer to). There are many opinions here ...some over excited about certain moves. You used the right word "patience". After all there are responsibilities for the team to sell tickets and TV ads but it is a fine line. Some of us diehards dont mind having a losing season if we see the plan but its not everyone's cup of tea. MU is trying to do both...maintain a winning team while raising the bar on talent. Enjoy the journey.

+1

Comment

Yeah, it's called "building a perennial contender".

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
              Yeah, it's called "building a perennial contender".
              A core isn't a contender until they reach their peak 26-32. Make noise until then but gather assets to trade to complete the roster later.

Comment

visko23 wrote: View Post
                I am having a very hard time understanding why we continue to talk about using stretch provisions and ridiculous topics like bringing on rent a players for short term that will eat into development. It seems so obvious to me that Masai looked at our roster and is developing a long term plan to get us out of mediocrity. That depends on two things: the development of our young core with a focus on improvement and continuity and to maintain flexibility for when Fields and Hayes et al coming off the books we can show so we can attract a huge name to play with a solid core. That will elevate us from mediocrity. I preach patients - not win now because it will set us back light years if we try right now.
                If you "preach patients", I'm not sure how many people will listen to you.

=P

Jks aside, I agree with all of that. I think the roster as it stands right now is perfect for development and flexibility in the future as you stated. Yes, for that final roster spot or for trade possibilities, those stretch provisions and other options that may limit us in the future should be carefully used. The best thing to do is to add role players that can help us get further into the playoffs for the development of our core young players. Some people may just be taking their ideas to far as to winning it all right now. I believe in Masai!

Comment

RR vets need to remember that not all Raptors fans are basketball fans. OR, they're too young to pick up on the nuance of the moves that MU is making. Toronto as a sports market is controlled by a media that screams for quick fixes, rather than doing things properly. Many of those voices have serious power since the sports teams are owned by media companies.

That's why Toronto sports teams are perpetually mediocre, why a person like BC (who always turned over his rosters) was able to stick for so long, and why people get frustrated with Masai. It's frustrating explaining the same things to people every year, but if as knowledgeable vets of RR that's what we got to do...that's fine by me.

Comment

Bendit pretty much covered it. Trying to create sustainable winning, but keeping in mind the future is incredibly important. Ujiri is building a team capable of winning lots of games, make the play-offs every season, and having the possibility to go deep, and well, you never know, win it all. Bringing great players while having to trade/let-go of certain guys, means winning now, which is nice, but the future window looks significantly shorter. I think the gamble, however, is that Ujiri is trusting A LOT (pre-maturely saying, though) in natural progression. There is no sure thing that Lowry will be back the same guy last season, or that DeMar will continue this rate of improvement every season, or that Ross/JV are going to keep getting better, or even guys like Bruno were even worth being picked (please understand that I think that the opposite will happen, or that I want it too).

Lots of risks, in both natural progression, and going out and getting some established stars, but the route the Raptors have taken is a lot safer, and likely brings in more winning for a longer time.
                    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Mon Jul 28, 2014, 01:07 AM.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      RR vets need to remember that not all Raptors fans are basketball fans. OR, they're too young to pick up on the nuance of the moves that MU is making. Toronto as a sports market is controlled by a media that screams for quick fixes, rather than doing things properly. Many of those voices have serious power since the sports teams are owned by media companies.

That's why Toronto sports teams are perpetually mediocre, why a person like BC (who always turned over his rosters) was able to stick for so long, and why people get frustrated with Masai. It's frustrating explaining the same things to people every year, but if as knowledgeable vets of RR that's what we got to do...that's fine by me.
                      I think if someone is on RR, they should be knowledgable enough about how the league works. It takes a certain amount of dedication to join and post on a forum like this, so I generally assume everyone on here is fairly aware of how the league works, even if they are too young to remember Walt "the Wizard" Williams and his fabulous high socks.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

do you see wiggens in our future?

Comment

Working...
                        X