Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Fields play in the NBA after this contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.R. wrote: View Post
    Wasn't there also talk that he was having back trouble at the end of this season? Casey was catching flak for only putting him on JJ once, but I thought I read that Fields basically couldn't play bc of back trouble.

It feels like a bit of a pipe dream to hope Fields recovers enough to be useful this season, but that would sure be great. He's a much more skilled player, when healthy, than James Johnson.
    He hurt his back when he flew out of bounds on the last play trying to save possession. Smashed into the courtside chairs. Seems more like a short term injury than a nagging issue.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

A relevant piece of the interview LF had with Dime after the past season....

Dime: On the NBA front, you’ve unfortunately dealt with some nagging injuries since you arrived to Toronto. What are your plans for this summer to make sure you can have a big impact next season?

LF: This time is big time for Physical Therapy for my hand and arm. I was able to see another doctor and get more specific with my rehab process so I’m hoping that this will be the finale of this whole ordeal. But if not, I’m always willing to work no matter what it takes and I’m going to be in it until it ends. So right now, that’s kind of the focus and just kind of bringing back my game to where I know exactly where it can be pre-injury status.

Dime: You guys became one of the more exciting teams in the league this year between your youth, athleticism and fan base. How does this Toronto team differ from the Knicks team you played on a few years ago?

LF: The biggest thing with this team to me, was the chemistry and the guys that were on the team. I’ve never been around any team, not just NBA, where it was a collective group that was willing to work hard to sacrifice whatever role was given to them. People that we’re at the end of the bench to the starting five no matter what, they were going to do what was necessary for the team to be successful. On top of that, like I was saying with the chemistry — everybody liked each other. I mean, I loved everybody in the room. Sometimes you get around guys and they have different personalities and you might not mesh with them as well but this was a very special, core group of guys and I think that spoke volumes of the kind of success that we had. It wasn’t necessarily that we were the most talented in the league, even though we had phenomenal players, all-stars, whatever. It was kind of the intangibles and the extra stuff which I think was a huge part of our success.
      Most of the piece was about his show biz career!

http://www.thehardwoodnation.com/201...ry-fields.html

Comment

Fields missed action in the playoffs because of back issues. My apologies to Casey.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
          He played 30 games last year, and only had 3 meaningful outings after Christmas including his one playoff game. I think the onus is on you to name me 12 other guys who have had 50+ DNPs or inactives (no injury, just simply not good enough to crack the lineup most nights) during a regular season that have turned around and signed a guaranteed contract the next chance they got. Now tell me how many of that extremely short list (if any) had only one working arm.
          Umm, you didn't answer my question at all. You claimed that he is a dime a dozen but didn't name a single player with the same skill set as him.

And you said you called him not getting another contract the year he signed this one. That would imply that you thought he was a dime a dozen that year. The year he played 64 games and averaged 8 and 4.

So please elaborate on your claim
          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

i think so. he's a good defender. too bad about the injuries.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Salmons and Casspi got contracts. If they can Fields can. If he has any shooting ability left he will sign another terrible deal.
              caccia wrote: View Post
              You just never know with these nerve-related injuries. I believe someone on RR said that he had had a similar injury and it takes over a year to heal. We do know that Fields was in great pain last season, to the point where he just had to get an operation. I hope that by mid-season, a year after his operation, he will start to show signs of being able to shoot securely once again. If that happens, he has a chance to continue his career, especially given his defensive chops.
              Hopefully he can play well enough before the trade deadline to attract interest from other GMs. He, I guess, still has value as an expiring contract.

Comment

Salmons and Casspi got contracts. If they can Fields can. If he has any shooting ability left he will sign another terrible deal.
                Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                Umm, you didn't answer my question at all. You claimed that he is a dime a dozen but didn't name a single player with the same skill set as him.

And you said you called him not getting another contract the year he signed this one. That would imply that you thought he was a dime a dozen that year. The year he played 64 games and averaged 8 and 4.

http://www.fansboard.com/matchPlayer...=Landry-Fields

Comment

Nice website. Haven't seen it before.

Comment

First off, the season he played 64 games and averaged 8 and 4 was his last year in New York. His first year in Toronto, he played 51 games and averaged 4 & 4 (on 45% from the field and 14% from 3), at which time I predicted that this contract would be his last.

And I think you're missing my entire point - there aren't dozens of other guys like Fields in the league because guys like that don't hold down league jobs for very long. Take a look at that link that was posted with similar players to Fields… Shavlik Randolph, Brandon Davies, Archie Goodwin…. the very definition of fringe NBAers, and most of those guys still managed to see more court time than LF did last year. When I say he's a dime-a-dozen I mean he's very replaceable. Athletic wingmen who can play pretty good D but don't have the offensive game to play at the NBA level aren't that rare… and most of them will be younger, cheaper and have more upside than Fields going forward. Oh, and they'll also have two functional arms.

I think you're overrating Field's "skill set". His mechanics and confidence have gotten so bad that he looks terrified to attempt a lay up when he's on the court. I think he's an excellent defensive player but that is mitigated by the fact that he was only on the court for 300 minutes last year. Then you've got the other intangible qualities that always seem to get brought up with Fields like his high basketball IQ and excellent off-ball cutting skills; which honestly just sound like things you'd say if you had nothing measurable to point to that he does well.

It's okay to be realistic about our own players. You'd swear I said JV wasn't going to get another contract based on some of the reactions. Fields had a good first half to his rookie year in New York, and has been on the downward spiral ever since. His second year was worse than his first, his third worse than his second, and last year's season was the worst of them all. He played 30 games and scored 2 & 2! 40% shooting with only ONE, yes I said one, shot outside of 12 feet made all year. He's been a below average NBA player for 3 years and counting.

I'll reiterate that I like Fields personally and hope he bounces back but at this point I'm considering him a lost cause. It's been just under two full years since his original surgery and he's still heading in the wrong direction. At some point you have to stop making excuses for him - "just six more months and he should have his shot form back!" - and realize that he may be done. I guess we'll know in a year's time but put me down for this contract being his last.
                    Last edited by Fully; Wed Jul 30, 2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                      When Jeremy Lin was looking for a home in NY, Fields let him sleep on his couch. That's all I need to say about locker room guy from Fields.

Comment

First off, the season he played 64 games and averaged 8 and 4 was his last year in New York. His first year in Toronto, he played 51 games and averaged 4 & 4 (on 45% from the field and 14% from 3), at which time I predicted that this contract would be his last.

And I think you're missing my entire point - there aren't dozens of other guys like Fields in the league because guys like that don't hold down league jobs for very long. Take a look at that link that was posted with similar players to Fields… Shavlik Randolph, Brandon Davies, Archie Goodwin…. the very definition of fringe NBAers, and most of those guys still managed to see more court time than LF did last year. When I say he's a dime-a-dozen I mean he's very replaceable. Athletic wingmen who can play pretty good D but don't have the offensive game to play at the NBA level aren't that rare… and most of them will be younger, cheaper and have more upside than Fields going forward. Oh, and they'll also have two functional arms.

I think you're overrating Field's "skill set". His mechanics and confidence have gotten so bad that he looks terrified to attempt a lay up when he's on the court. I think he's an excellent defensive player but that is mitigated by the fact that he was only on the court for 300 minutes last year. Then you've got the other intangible qualities that always seem to get brought up with Fields like his high basketball IQ and excellent off-ball cutting skills; which honestly just sound like things you'd say if you had nothing measurable to point to that he does well.

It's okay to be realistic about our own players. You'd swear I said JV wasn't going to get another contract based on some of the reactions. Fields had a good first half to his rookie year in New York, and has been on the downward spiral ever since. His second year was worse than his first, his third worse than his second, and last year's season was the worst of them all. He played 30 games and scored 2 & 2! 40% shooting with only ONE, yes I said one, shot outside of 12 feet made all year. He's been a below average NBA player for 3 years and counting.

I'll reiterate that I like Fields personally and hope he bounces back but at this point I'm considering him a lost cause. It's been just under two full years since his original surgery and he's still heading in the wrong direction. At some point you have to stop making excuses for him - "just six more months and he should have his shot form back!" - and realize that he may be done. I guess we'll know in a year's time but put me down for this contract being his last.
                        Tru, I understand that

But looking at the players statistically similar to him, they are all either centres or really young players that don't play a lick of defence...a lot of them are older than fields too.

His confidence is gone, but going back to the op, he is will find another nba contract. He's still a situational defensive player who could still potentially regain his shot. Key word in that is potentially.

And I thought you said the day he signed the contract, you called him a dime a dozen, this would imply that your speaking of his final year in New York. My bad for misinterpreting that.

Comment

Tru, I understand that

But looking at the players statistically similar to him, they are all either centres or really young players that don't play a lick of defence...a lot of them are older than fields too.
                          You've completely contradicted yourself in that sentence. Your first excuse is that all the players he has comparable stats to are really young and then you finish off the point by saying that a lot of them are older than him too. And none of the players on that list, outside of Solomon Jones, is a centre. The majority of them are small forwards just like LF, and it's pretty terrible company to keep, which is really the biggest takeaway that you should have.

His confidence is gone, but going back to the op, he is will find another nba contract. He's still a situational defensive player who could still potentially regain his shot. Key word in that is potentially.
                          I stand by my earlier point that players whose biggest selling point is that they are "situational defensive players" aren't going to have a huge market when they hit free agency. And yes, Fields will always "potentially" have the chance to get better but that doesn't mean teams are going to continue to give him chances when there are younger, cheaper options with higher rates of success. There's a difference between the Raptors spending all this time/effort into trying to recuperate him when they've already got $20 million sunk into him, opposed to a team that is going to willingly sign up to do the same. Why not just sign a 2nd rounder for even less money and spend time with him improving his skills rather than trying to get his right arm to work again.

And I thought you said the day he signed the contract, you called him a dime a dozen, this would imply that your speaking of his final year in New York. My bad for misinterpreting that.
                          I said I called it being his last contract after his first year in Toronto.
                          Last edited by Fully; Wed Jul 30, 2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

When I read comment criticizing DeRozan while nothing is being said about Fields, I find it rather infuriating. DeMar's in the gym while Landry's dressing up like Nicki Minaj.

Comment

You've completely contradicted yourself in that sentence. Your first excuse is that all the players he has comparable stats to are really young and then you finish off the point by saying that a lot of them are older than him too. And none of the players on that list, outside of Solomon Jones, is a centre. The majority of them are small forwards just like LF, and it's pretty terrible company to keep, which is really the biggest takeaway that you should have.
                              um...the three people you used as examples were Shavlik Randolph, Brandon Davies. Randonlph and Davies are centres and goodwin is the young gun I was talking about. I didnt say they were all older than him, I said alot of them were. Big difference buddy. So that would mean alot of them are older but they're a few people that are younger as well in case you didn't catch on yet

I stand by my earlier point that players whose biggest selling point is that they are "situational defensive players" aren't going to have a huge market when they hit free agency. And yes, Fields will always "potentially" have the chance to get better but that doesn't mean teams are going to continue to give him chances when there are younger, cheaper options with higher rates of success. There's a difference between the Raptors spending all this time/effort into trying to recuperate him when they've already got $20 million sunk into him, opposed to a team that is going to willingly sign up to do the same. Why not just sign a 2nd rounder for even less money and spend time with him improving his skills rather than trying to get his right arm to work again.
                              Yeah but do those second rounders know and accept their role. Im pretty sure alot young player coming into the league still believe they are the second coming mj or something. That might be a little drastic but no one comes into the league with the attitude of saying, yo im an end of the bench doode, Sweet!

I said I called it being his last contract after his first year in Toronto.
                              Yeah...my bad for misinterpreting that

EDIT: Just looked at the website thing again, Luc Richard Mbah Moute is the closest bet to Fields. And that Doode was recently traded for a former second overall pick. He definitely will get another contract and so will Fields. They both play stellar defense but both cant shoot, oh and Luc is actually older but has two functioning arms...
                              Last edited by yabadabayolo; Wed Jul 30, 2014, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Terrible for him? Or for the team who signs him?

Comment

Working...
                                X