Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bennett and Wiggins future of the 3 and 4 spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Our bench scoring is the reason we got Lou Will. Bennett replaces PsychoT as the energy big. His ability to grab offensive rebounds against slower PF and smaller SF on a three point shooting second unit helps alot. He is the tweener between JJ and 2Pats. Able to play both but worse defensively than either.
    He's worse defensively than both. He is also worse offensively than 2Pat, and maybe, just maybe, a bit better than JJ at this point. However, JJ can also crash the glass (is taller and more athletic even than Bennett, while being strong too) and be that guy on the 2nd unit with shooters. We don't really need added shooting that badly on the unit since we'll probably have 3 shooters on the floor (the only plus Bennett would bring over JJ), not if it comes at the price of D and without any other real benefit.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
      Who are the last 5 players who turned down their big extension to take the QO and become a free agent?
      They usually get traded before it happens. I remember Ben Gordon threatening to do it
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Our bench scoring is the reason we got Lou Will. Bennett replaces PsychoT as the energy big. His ability to grab offensive rebounds against slower PF and smaller SF on a three point shooting second unit helps alot. He is the tweener between JJ and 2Pats. Able to play both but worse defensively than either.
        Psycho T is what he is, however in order for Bennet to improve and be a better player he will need at least 20-25 minutes next season and that is something the Raptors cannot afford to give him because it will hurt them. Plus they already got enough projects on their hands (Bebe, Bruno and Cherry) they do not need another player that requires alot time and attention in order to improve.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
          Psycho T is what he is, however in order for Bennet to improve and be a better player he will need at least 20-25 minutes next season and that is something the Raptors cannot afford to give him because it will hurt them. Plus they already got enough projects on their hands (Bebe, Bruno and Cherry) they do not need another player that requires alot time and attention in order to improve.
          A trade Fields + Hands + Tor 2016 1st for Bennett opens a roster spot and space for Blatche with the remaining MLE.

Comment

A trade Fields + Hands + Tor 2016 1st for Bennett opens a roster spot and space for Blatche with the remaining MLE.
            I really, really don't like the idea of paying blatche to play for us.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
              I really, really don't like the idea of paying blatche to play for us.
              Even if it isn't Blatche having an open spot with the leftover MLE + Bennett solves our C problem potentially.

Comment

But we also sacrifice a huge chunk of our cap space next year. Bennett is owed 6 mill, and we'd be paying this back up center of yours a couple mill too.

Let's just stick with what we've got, use this season for further development and cash our chips next year.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I can't really get on board with planning for/celebrating something that won't happen until a minimum of 4 years, and in all likelihood, probably 7 or more years.

Plus maybe it's just the beaten up Raptors fan in me talking but I feel bad that Wiggins hasn't even been officially traded to Minnesota yet and everyone is already saying that he's as good as gone the first chance he gets.

And it's not just the message board warriors either - Michael Grange penned a ridiculous article for Sportsnet yesterday that states just that. He lists all the reasons why Minnesota has no chance to retain him (cold winters, losing history, tax issues), forgetting that the Raptors are only one unexpected good season removed from all of the above being pinned to their franchise by outsiders as well.

He also says that stealing Wiggins from Minnesota will be "easy as pie" the first chance we get, etc. etc. 7 years is an eternity in the NBA. Minny could be coming off back to back titles by then. The Raptors could be back in the dumper. Wiggins could have two surgically repaired knees. Raptors may not have cap room or could have their own star SF. I mean we're talking about 2021 here! Grange should know better.
                  I really don't like this free agency hype, especially when it's so far away. The only thing it serves to do is create unrealistic expectations and then a massive backlash. If Wiggins doesn't come home, some idiots are going to start calling him a traitor the way they did with Nash--except to the power of ten.

Houston and Chicago this summer should be perfect examples of not counting your chickens before they hatch. The best laid plans of Masai and men often go awry.

Comment

Who are the last 5 players who turned down their big extension to take the QO and become a free agent?
                    Not sure. David Lee did it a few years ago.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Here's a list someone put together, but they missed Lee, so there may be others missing.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/07/p...ng-offers.html
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

potentially relevant to this thread: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...sota/13863697/

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                          They usually get traded before it happens. I remember Ben Gordon threatening to do it
                          So no one?

Comment

Apparently Greg Monroe is doing just that... FWIW

While the Pistons big man has not pursued an offer sheet from another team, he has pursued sign-and-trade possibilities, and Monroe is “definitely” willing to take the one-year qualifying offer worth $5.3 million from Detroit in order to ensure his unrestricted free agency next summer, a source familiar with Monroe’s thinking told The Detroit News. Detroit News
                            Via Hoopshype

EDIT: But the player usually forces their way out before that becomes an issue. However put me on the list of people who don't care about the speculation. If he's a Durant level talent then every team in the league who think they have a shot will try, and if he leaves Minny via trade then Wiggins doesn't necessarily have a ton of say in where he goes. I think at most we've got a 10% chance to get him in his prime, and a 5% chance if he's a Durant level player.

Glimmer of hope for those who want it? New CBA. Who knows how player mobility will be affected. Maybe Lebron to Cleveland will be such a big money maker that the NBA institutes a hometown talent clause where every team gets to pick a player from their hometown to rep their city.
                            Last edited by ezz_bee; Tue Aug 12, 2014, 01:24 PM.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              That maybe a tad harsh...but he is climbing the ladder with his previous "major" effort at spearheading the pr to get Wince back in uniform here....yechhh.
                              Grange is horrible, even more horrible during Raps broadcasts...

Comment

I'm glad you are not our GM...

Comment

Working...
                                X