Jason Goff. "Raptors will take a step back". Aug 12,2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Goff. "Raptors will take a step back". Aug 12,2014

It is hard to be objective when you are the fan of a team. That said I really think we can be better than last year losing John Salmons and adding James Johnson. I wish more posters here would call up Jason on Sirius xm radio NBA 12-3 and give it to him. 18556225867 1855NBAJUMP. Jason believes a lot of our guys had "career years " last year. I don't know what will happen next year but I would be shocked if we were lower than a 6th seed.

I don't know who Jason Goff is but I can see from your headline that he's an idiot.

I'm glad the Raps aren't getting recognized south of the border. It'll help motivate these guys.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
      It is hard to be objective when you are the fan of a team. That said I really think we can be better than last year losing John Salmons and adding James Johnson. I wish more posters here would call up Jason on Sirius xm radio NBA 12-3 and give it to him. 18556225867 1855NBAJUMP. Jason believes a lot of our guys had "career years " last year. I don't know what will happen next year but I would be shocked if we were lower than a 6th seed.
      well in many ways i would have to agree. vasquez, patterson, lowry, DD all basically had career years. theres absolutely NO sign of this being a consistent thing yet until it actually happens. for ex. i don't see vasquez or ppat shooting the 3 as well as they did last year.

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that the Raps will take a step forward.

I BELIEVE IN MASAI!!!!

Comment

The "career year" argument is kind of dumb to make against the Raps.

Of those guys, they are all either young and still potentially improving (DeMar and Pat), or in their prime (GV and Lowry) where no significant decline should be expected.

On top of that, Jonas, Ross and Lou Williams are all fairly safe bets to play better than they did last year. And JJ is a wildcard, because his impact isn't obvious statistically, but he could have a career year as a role player that makes a fairly big impact for the Raps...of course assuming his head's screwed on right.

I don't see any reason to expect a major decline from the "career" performers last year, and definitely see it as very unlikely that any possible decline from them would outweigh the improvement from the guys who are still getting better.

Comment

Jonas and Ross will be even better this year. They received all that experience for a reason; to grow. That preparation will be a blessing this year and specifically in 2016. Raps will be strong.

Comment

I wonder if this Jason Goff's middle name might be "Fuh"? If not, then that's what he can go do.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                The "career year" argument is kind of dumb to make against the Raps.

Of those guys, they are all either young and still potentially improving (DeMar and Pat), or in their prime (GV and Lowry) where no significant decline should be expected.

On top of that, Jonas, Ross and Lou Williams are all fairly safe bets to play better than they did last year. And JJ is a wildcard, because his impact isn't obvious statistically, but he could have a career year as a role player that makes a fairly big impact for the Raps...of course assuming his head's screwed on right.

I don't see any reason to expect a major decline from the "career" performers last year, and definitely see it as very unlikely that any possible decline from them would outweigh the improvement from the guys who are still getting better.
                Good post. I am in the same camp as your thinking.

Comment

While I guess it is valid to recognize that yes, a few of our main guys played some of the best ball they ever will last year, its also important to recognize two guys who haven't yet: Jonas and Terrence, two guys primed to take big steps forward.

Also, it should definitely be mentioned that the biggest knock on our team last year was a lack of experience (think of Demar in game one), which, while most of our players are far from seasoned veterans, will definitely not be as big an issue.

Though, you never know. Even still, if we find ourselves with 45 wins fighting for the sixth or seventh seed, not totally meeting expectations, the NBA is still a league where when you peak is as important as how great your potential is. I think it would be hard to argue that this team, after another year of meshing and development, couldn't give any Eastern team trouble in the playoffs.

Can't wait for the season.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    well in many ways i would have to agree. vasquez, patterson, lowry, DD all basically had career years. theres absolutely NO sign of this being a consistent thing yet until it actually happens. for ex. i don't see vasquez or ppat shooting the 3 as well as they did last year.
                    For DD and lowry I can see where your coming from, they both had career years but DD can still get better. Lowry is what he is really but since he doesn't use his athleticism to be what he is, how can he really regress. I can only see him get smarter and that's actually a good thing. He is one of the point guards who get better with age. The only way he could really regress from his 'career year' is if he got injured or something

For gv. I don't see the career year thing at all. Gvs career year was when he was in NO and averaged 13 & 9. Last year was kinda a step back for him, he came off ankle surgery and was decent the first half of the season but only got back to form near the end. I expect to see that gv back next year, not the sac town version. Remember when he couldn't score to save his life midway through last year, that can not be considered a career year for anyone.

And Batman is still young so he should continue where he left off. Maybe a slight dip in three point shooting but that's about it.
                    Last edited by yabadabayolo; Tue Aug 12, 2014, 07:43 PM.
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

i could see it

he's not completely wrong about the career year thing. didn't read the article or whatever but i'm guessing he figures everyone doesn't step it up again like they did last year. it's not out of the realm of possibility. especially specific, important players. now that lowry's paid does he play balls out? does DD play at an all star level again? we'll see. what about injuries? raps were insanely lucky last year with injuries. a guy like Lowry, DD or JV missing significant time would be a huge blow.

on paper we're better, but paper can't tell you about injuries or effort.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Maybe they won't win 47,48 games, but I do c them winning at least 45 games. This team still needs that pf veteran..ie David West and back up Center,then u can say their close 2 being a contender,as of right now,No...
                        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Week long road trips? Definitely gonna take a step back
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                            For DD and lowry I can see where your coming from, they both had career years but DD can still get better. Lowry is what he is really but since he doesn't use his athleticism to be what he is, how can he really regress. I can only see him get smarter and that's actually a good thing. He is one of the point guards who get better with age. The only way he could really regress from his 'career year' is if he got injured or something

For gv. I don't see the career year thing at all. Gvs career year was when he was in NO and averaged 13 & 9. Last year was kinda a step back for him, he came off ankle surgery and was decent the first half of the season but only got back to form near the end. I expect to see that gv back next year, not the sac town version. Remember when he couldn't score to save his life midway through last year, that can not be considered a career year for anyone.

And Batman is still young so he should continue where he left off. Maybe a slight dip in three point shooting but that's about it.
                            you're looking at GV's year where he played 34 minutes a game in NO. of course 'per game' stats are gonna look inflated. per 36 here in toronto he was averaging nearly 16 & 6.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Week long road trips? Definitely gonna take a step back

Miami playing Cleveland Christmas day,lol..
                              Hopefully rap's have decent schedule at the start and easy on the back end,it helps
                              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                              X