Exclusive D-League Affiliate Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    For Celtic fans I was thinking of people that got into basketball in the 80's (Larry Bird) or the recent success (Pierce-Garnett-Allen) who were looking for a winner who is reasonably close. But the Bulls are a good example for the 90's.

I think there would have to have been enough basketball support in Rochester for the team to even exist. They had to like someone and unless it is a HS-college sports town, Knicks is the fit. I would feel weird if the Knicks put a D league team in my town. Going to the games would be like sleeping with the enemy.
    Western NY'ers hate NYC as much as all those people living outside the GTA in Ontario hate Toronto. I would be VERY surprised if there's a big Knicks following down there.

There's more Jays fans than Yankees fans in Buffalo.

Comment

I'm sure there are a lot of Knicks fans to contend with. Bills is a bit different because Buffalo, as a city, is struggling and can't compare to New York. Anyone know how far Rochester is from the Knicks new D league team?
      judging from google maps, it's about 5 1/2 drive from the one stadium in rochester to the other in white plains. i'm not sure if that's a large enough "sphere of influence" but, i guess with the westchester knicks being in the new york knicks backyard, they wouldn't object to another franchise in upstate new york. geographically, buffalo would be a better fit in my opinion. as well, a larger city would allow for a larger fanbase and more corporate sponsorship.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/dir/10...0717!3e0?hl=en

Comment

does anyone remember former university of syracuse great Lawrence Moten?

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
          Interesting suggestion. Maybe they can do this like how Man City did with NY City in the MLS (then they sign a star/old star like Lampard, then loan him to the mother team lol).
          Man City - NY City MLS brings up an interesting idea. Why not expand the Toronto FC - Tottenham connection to put Toronto's NBA farm club into London, UK?

You've got the English language; you've got to admit it would be fun for a 20 year old to discover London. And MLSE could use Tottenham's help to try to drag the BBL up to standard for European competitions ... just like they're trying to lift MLS.

Crazy idea ... but not certifiably so, is it?

Comment

But the CHL isn't the minor leagues as much as the AHL is. The CHL route is to draft a player and leave him in the amateur league. Would be more akin to drafting a player and having him stay in NCAA.
            Yes, sorry I didn't mean that the CHL is a minor league like the AHL. But my point is that the CHL is a much superior league that develops hockey prospects at a much higher level compared to teh NCAA, like how some NHL-draftees at around ages 17-19 (correct me if I'm wrong) get drafted by NHL teams but then get sent back to their CHL teams to further develop their game and later on get a chance to make the team in the future. Unlike the current system in the NBA-DLeague-NCAA.

Comment

It would appear Rochester is pushing for this.
              Irrelevant because Rochester is not part of D-League to begin with.
              Raptors likely want ownership and complete control of their own D-League.

Comment

That's really bad business there by Rochester ... the team must feel desperate.

Comment

A great read on Clint Capela and his development by Houston Rockets primarily using the DLEague to get him in game experience.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/hou...96dee5eb2.html

Meanwhile in Raptor land, Bruno just had his 3rd DNP-CD in 6 games and he has just played 57 minutes in 6 games this season.

EDIT: In case the point is missed, Raptors need their own DLeague team.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Mar 4, 2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    A great read on Clint Capela and his development by Houston Rockets primarily using the DLEague to get him in game experience.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/hou...96dee5eb2.html

Meanwhile in Raptor land, Bruno just had his 3rd DNP-CD in 6 games and he has just played 57 minutes in 6 games this season.

EDIT: In case the point is missed, Raptors need their own DLeague team.
                    I've said it before: Contact the Halifax Rainmen of the NBLC. A D-League team in the Maritimes is needed.
                    Axel wrote:
                    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

If we're talking about sending guys to Australia, UK and China for development, then why not have an affiliate in the NBL Canada? The level of play in Canada is increasing with an increasing number of NBL Canada players coming from US collegiate programs.

Unfortunately, as was pointed out, our options with Bruno are limited to the D-League, since he's signed his NBA contract already. Can anybody explain the player/owner rationale behind this restriction? I.E Why is the D-League the only place allowed to send players for development? It's too bad, because Bruno just needs to be on the court ANYWHERE, to improve basic BBIQ and chemistry with real players.

http://www.nblcanada.com/

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                        I've said it before: Contact the Halifax Rainmen of the NBLC. A D-League team in the Maritimes is needed.
                        I would do many inappropriate things to make this happen....
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I would do many inappropriate things to make this happen....
                          Heck, you can even play off our purple uni's with the new jersey design... gosh, you may have just given me a new jersey concept idea, Aximili. A 30-team D-League, all with custom jerseys.
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Must read for anyone who wants to see the D-League legitimized and used as an actual farm system.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/d-...s-farm-system/

Think the above proposed system would give a big advantage to teams that have solid scouting departments.
                            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Raptors DLeague team in Montreal?

Sorry guys I don't really have the time to write, but I'd like to know your opinion about having our own affiliate team in Montreal?

Comment

Will never happen. Having D-League teams and players deal with complicated taxes, border crossings, etc is not feasible. Best shot is having an affiliate in a North-Eastern state, like NY.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X