No announcement yet.

Tim Lieweke leaving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFC just fired entire staff ... I'm not a big fan ... but that's tough ... might loose Defoe ... *facepalm*

Comment

• mike, prague wrote: View Post
      TFC just fired entire staff ... I'm not a big fan ... but that's tough ... might loose Defoe ... *facepalm*
      Wow just when you thought tfc was going to turn things around

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        And whether it was TL or MU directly, TL was the one who got MU, so there's credit to be had there. And don't tell me MLSE would have hired MU on their own.
        Excellent point.

Comment

TFC just fired entire staff ... I'm not a big fan ... but that's tough ... might loose Defoe ... *facepalm*
          lol wut, they're doing well.
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Newcastle, QPR and Stoke all made enquiries about Defoe. 10 hour till transfer window closes..

EDIT: Wow.. Defoe demands $150k a week salary! ( 90k pounds a week )
            Last edited by rocwell; Mon Sep 1, 2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• I feel bad for TFC fans. Just watched Bradley, Tim and Defoe press confs from January. lol.

My British friend told me that Defoe is 'big time wanker'.

EDIT:
              Last edited by rocwell; Mon Sep 1, 2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• “We’re going to turn it into a super-club,” says Leiweke. “Here, this soccer team could be the most important team in town, if we win. If we win games we will be huge. I think the first team that wins a championship here will be a very important team in the history and the passion of this city.”

That’s the classic big-picture Leiweke vision: it’s what he was brought here to sell. Sure, the Leafs are starting a rebuild (which is actually, in the big picture, a good idea), and the Raptors are contemplating all options after a playoff flameout (everyone, from Kyle Lowry up and down, is on the table), and TFC is still muddling, in the early going.

But while he says he’s not thinking too much about legacy, he lists off the BMO expansion, which he calls the old version a high school football field; the Raptors practice facility and D-League team, which is coming; Drake’s new club and the new scoreboard which are coming to the ACC; the NBA All-Star Game in 2016 and the World Cup of Hockey this year. There are plans for Ontario Place, too, which remain in the pipeline.

The winning hasn’t happened, of course. But ever the optimist, Leiweke believes.

“I have great faith in (Leafs president Brendan Shanahan) and (Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri),” Leiweke says. “If there’s one thing I’m most proud of it’s those two guys. They will win, both of them. And they are not afraid, and they will stay the course, and they don’t give a damn what anyone says.”

Lots has been said about Leiweke in his time here, and it’s coming to a close. But he’s racing to finish what he can before he gets to throw back the keys and leave this confounding puzzle of a town behind.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/20...ut-arthur.html
                Not sure what many feel about Lieweke but I'm going to miss him as a Raptor fan. I love what he brought to the table - even if it was all hot air. He certainly got things done in a short time frame. Hopefully that DLEague team is up and running next year.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  ...I love what he brought to the table - even if it was all hot air. He certainly got things done in a short time frame. Hopefully that DLEague team is up and running next year.
                  Getting things done in a short time frame isn't hot air. The man produced. More significant change in the Raptors over a shorter time frame than at any time since the first season.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Getting things done in a short time frame isn't hot air. The man produced. More significant change in the Raptors over a shorter time frame than at any time since the first season.
                    “We’re going to turn it into a super-club,” says Leiweke. “Here, this soccer team could be the most important team in town, if we win. If we win games we will be huge. I think the first team that wins a championship here will be a very important team in the history and the passion of this city.”
                    That type of quote is what I mean by hot air.

Always talking about winning but little to show for it.

That is fine by me though. I'd rather have a guy hyping to be a contender than happy to make the playoffs (Colangelo).

Very much think Raptors/MLSE lost a huge piece with his early departure. Tannenbaum is happy to live in mediocrity it seems.

Comment

That is fine by me though. I'd rather have a guy hyping to be a contender than happy to make the playoffs (Colangelo).

Very much think Raptors/MLSE lost a huge piece with his early departure. Tannenbaum is happy to live in mediocrity it seems.
                      A very, very, very lucrative mediocrity that is.

Comment

Losing Leiweke is awful for MLSE. I don't think you can replace a Leiweke, dude is a genius. He's left MLSE in a way better place than when he came in. All of the teams are set up for success, and although it might be some time before that success materializes I think MLSE now understands what it takes to win and understands how lucrative winning will be.

I'm pissed to see him go, I think he has a lot more up his sleeves to take Toronto sports to the next level, unfortunate we won't see what that looks like.
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

• I don't like to think about Lieweke leaving, it actually really depresses me. One of those guys that's a do-er, not a talker. Made waves with all the Toronto sports teams and left huge imprints, both on the business and sports personnel side, in each one of those franchises in a short time. Lieweke, with Uriji underneath, then the Raptors players. I thought the two of them were taking us to the promised land. Ah well if I had to pick between the two I'd take Masai any day. McHappys quote above about Masai (and Shanahan's) "resolve and determination to winning" was reassuring that MUs not going to up and leave once his "supervisor" is somebody different. I think Tim was a huge part in him coming.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            I don't like to think about Lieweke leaving, it actually really depresses me. One of those guys that's a do-er, not a talker. Made waves with all the Toronto sports teams and left huge imprints, both on the business and sports personnel side, in each one of those franchises in a short time. Lieweke, with Uriji underneath, then the Raptors players. I thought the two of them were taking us to the promised land. Ah well if I had to pick between the two I'd take Masai any day. McHappys quote above about Masai (and Shanahan's) "resolve and determination to winning" was reassuring that MUs not going to up and leave once his "supervisor" is somebody different. I think Tim was a huge part in him coming.
                            I can't find the source, but I distinctly remember Masai saying in an interview that he probably would not have accepted the job if not for Lieweke.

Comment

• Yeah Tim got shit done. I'll be sad to see him go. I know he says the timing has nothing to do with the non-compete clause he had to sign when he left LA, but it's pretty suspect. Either way, doesn't matter. He did very good work in the short time he was here.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                                Yeah Tim got shit done. I'll be sad to see him go. I know he says the timing has nothing to do with the non-compete clause he had to sign when he left LA, but it's pretty suspect. Either way, doesn't matter. He did very good work in the short time he was here.
                                I am sure he was good value to MLSE for the 2 yrs he was here (@ 5 mill. per I believe). Wonder if one can quantify the increased value of MLSE for the same period?. I would think it would be in excess of 10 mill. easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X