Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Raptors Franchise Centerpiece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the Raptors Franchise Centerpiece?

Who would you consider to be Toronto's franchise centerpiece? I would say Demar because he's a top 20 player already and you could easily compete (as in playoffs not championship) with him as your number one option for the next 5+ years
    #BringBackUzoh

Lowry is the best and most important player. Centerpiece... I prefer to think of this team as having 2-3 key players (and potentially another one via free agency soon) rather than a centerpiece.

Comment

#Bruno2016
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Right now this team is all about Lowry.

That could change this season but last year was Lowry.

Comment

It's DeRozan. Best player on the team and still only 25. It's easily him.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            Lowry is the best and most important player. Centerpiece... I prefer to think of this team as having 2-3 key players (and potentially another one via free agency soon) rather than a centerpiece.
            This sums up how I feel.

Comment

Kyle is engine that drives the team no question. Demar is the guy though, considering age and his potential to improve still. But if the team wants to take the next step (ie become a contender with this core) it hinges on JV becoming what most of us think he can be -- a star centre.

So you could say any one of these guys is the franchise centrepiece but without any one of those three we don't take the next step as a team. The Raps haven't truly succeeded in the past with one "franchise" guy, so we shouldn't look to define one guy in that role. All about the core guys and the team as whole.

"Face of the Franchise" is the term I prefer (someone who represents the team with elite play, professionalism and work ethic), and I would go with Demar.

Comment

What does "centerpiece" mean to you? That governs the choice. Some translate it to best player, or the one who does the most on the court, today. In that case, it's fair to say Lowry. On the other hand, I translate centerpiece to who is setting the tone for this team, and that includes the near and far future, and how to get there. This team needs a lot more than last year's success to get to where we all want them to get. Who sets the tone for focus on getting better?

It's obvious by now that DeMar's relentless work ethic to get better is what sets the tone and character of this team.
                - the first thing the braintrust does with the 3 rookies? Send them to LA to work with DeMar
                - the first thing Ross (following DeMar like a puppy) and Jonas do this summer? Go to LA to work with DeMar.
                - Amir has taken his game to new levels, since DeMar arrived
                - Lowry has taken his game to new levels, since arriving in DeMar's space

DeMar is the guy setting the tone, and example of the hard work it takes to succeed in the NBA, so he's easily my choice as the centerpiece.

Comment

Masai Ujiri
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

For whatever reason 'centerpiece' makes me think of who you can build around for the future.

Jonas.
                    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      Masai Ujiri
                      *jackpot*

Good call!

If I was not on my phone, you'd be liked.

Comment

Guys .. Imagine the smiles on our players if we won the NBA championship. \(^o^)/

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          Masai Ujiri
                          Yep. Everyone else is, by comparison, expendable.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Right now this team is all about Lowry.

That could change this season but last year was Lowry.
                            Just hope he comes into training camp in shape.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              Just hope he comes into training camp in shape.
                              I think everybody got a taste of something that could be. They surprised themselves I think. I wouldn't be surprised if they all put in the work over the summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X