No announcement yet.

Timberwolves rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Timberwolves general manager Milt Newton says he is optimistic the team can sign point guard Ricky Rubio to a contract extension before the season begins, but he says the team doesn't feel in a rush to do so.

Milton spoke to reporters on Thursday after some of the team's young players, including No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Wiggins, participated in an informal workout as they get ready for training camp.

Newton says he and Wolves President Flip Saunders are having regular conversations with Rubio's agents about an extension. So far, the two sides have not agreed on terms.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...ubio-extension

On its own, means nothing but...
    while Bledsoe and the Suns continue their stalemate, nothing is stopping other teams from trying to engage the Suns in sign-and-trade talks, albeit likely in vain.

According to Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com, you can add the Timberwolves to the list of teams who at least considered that.
    http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/581891

Probably we'll know by Oct 31st, if he doesn't sign an extension...

Comment

wolves have offered bledsoe a max deal!

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
        wolves have offered bledsoe a max deal!
        They'll need the Suns in on it, as the Wolves don't have enough room. Sign-and-trade will be interesting.

Comment

The Twolves can not do a max deal for Bledsoe unless the Suns cooperate on a sign and trade deal.

Comment

Kevin Martin for Bledsoe and JJ Barea amnestied allows the deal to happen. Or trade Martin to Philly with a pick.

Comment

Doubt the Suns bother with a sign and trade unless the Wolves give up a prime prospect, which they won't. Don't see this happening.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                Kevin Martin for Bledsoe and JJ Barea amnestied allows the deal to happen. Or trade Martin to Philly with a pick.
                Kevin Martin? Wha? Why would Phoenix want Martin alone for Bledsoe? Also, the amnesty window is closed.

The Wolves have lots of young players, and one would think that they will not want to add draft picks, so I would assume that any trade for Bledsoe would include multiple 1st round picks, a young prospect, and a vet. Also, no way they get Bledsoe and keep Rubio. So Rubio's expiring might pique Phoenix's interest.

Comment

Sarver signs Up Bledsoe and than what does he do with Goran?

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                    Sarver signs Up Bledsoe and than what does he do with Goran?
                    He would do what they did last year and play them together
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

My sense is the Wolves have a good idea what the Suns want (they have already dealt with teach other re Love possibly going to the Suns). The Suns are under pressure here since a refusal to deal on a reasonable offer from the Wolves (eg...picks, Rubio, young players combo of a sort) and not signing Bledsoe puts them in an awkward position going into next year w/Bledsoe still on the team. They might never get a better deal say at the trade deadline. I am surprised the Wolves are giving him the max. though.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        My sense is the Wolves have a good idea what the Suns want (they have already dealt with teach other re Love possibly going to the Suns). The Suns are under pressure here since a refusal to deal on a reasonable offer from the Wolves (eg...picks, Rubio, young players combo of a sort) and not signing Bledsoe puts them in an awkward position going into next year w/Bledsoe still on the team. They might never get a better deal say at the trade deadline. I am surprised the Wolves are giving him the max. though.
                        I'm surprised they're offering it mostly because of the timing. Pretty late juncture to try such a big shake up, like just a week before camp starts. But given his youth, talent and 2-way ability, I'm not at all surprised Bledsoe would get offered the max, and I think if no deal happens he signs the QO and next year he probably gets max as an UFA (unless a major injury sidetracks his season).

I like it for the Wolves though. The Rubio situation is almost Bargnani-esque in terms of the all-around impact it's having on the franchise. Every year he's on their team and it's not working, both he and the team look worse and worse. Not saying it could never work, and the new direction may even be better as a fit for him, but sometimes it's good to just cut ties and move on.

In many of the ways Rubio could fit with the new roster, so could Bledsoe, where you're really mostly getting more scoring and worse passing....But I also think Bledsoe has more toughness and a chip on his shoulder, which are good things to have in a leader at PG, especially on a young team.

**But this doesn't appear like it has any legs to it anyway....so Bledsoe probably gets a max deal next summer, possibly with another team. The Wolves will continue to struggle with having to make a decision on Rubio. And it would just be hilarious to me if Dragic also walked. I don't know why...Get some serious schadenfreude from watching the "feel-good team" of last season collapse within a couple of years because they were trying to play hardball with their key players.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Sep 20, 2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

as I look at the young talented wolves I wonder about outside shooting I see fantastic highlights in transition with wig and lavine but will they develop there shooting?

Comment

Well, at least Flip is having fun

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...004417239.html

Comment

Working...
                            X