Colangelo: Raptors Have Individual Agendas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo: Raptors Have Individual Agendas

Hmmm ... well this isn't good for the team if guys are only looking out for themselves now.

The Raptors are falling out of the playoff picture in the Eastern Conference and general manager Bryan Colangelo believes that it has something to do with agendas.

"I've got a lot of suspicions, I guess, of what's gone wrong. It hasn't been the same since the all-star break," Colangelo said. "Too many guys came back from the break with a different approach. And that's the part that's troubling. ... It's not a talent issue. And it's clear that the right message is being delivered (by the coaching staff). But the students have to carry out the agenda. And it's got to be a team agenda. It can't be an individual agenda."

Toronto had a winning percentage of .558 (on pace for 46 wins) at the All-Star break, but they've gone just 6-12 since.

The Jazz routed the Raptors on Wednesday night, their latest lopsided defeat.

"It's a hard thing to explain. (Wednesday) night, it felt like there was no effort. It felt like there was no sense of urgency. It felt like there was no emotion," Colangelo said. "It's almost like there's a shutoff valve. And it's hard to explain, but it's almost like the entire team had that valve in the off position.

"But we've proven we can turn it on as easily as we've turned it off. It's just got to happen fast."

Toronto heads into Friday's action with a mark of 35-35, good for the eighth spot in the East. Chicago, who is also struggling, is 2 1/2 games back.
    Source - Click here

The problem to me seems like Bosh is just out there trying to get his right now. He's the leader, he's the linchpin. You pull that pin and the whole thing falls apart. What I think has happened is that the word is out on Bosh, and it's that he's done here. If this theory is correct then how on earth could we expect anyone to follow his lead? If he's not in the lead then no one is leading this team on the floor. Which comes back to what I said first, Bosh is out there getting his, padding those stats. You ever see a headless chicken? That's the Toronto Raptors. The head is rolling down the road, southbound.

Comment

i dont see the logic in Bosh padding his stats. he's already told the raps he's only going to sign a max deal, and he knows that the only other teams who can sign him to a max deal as well ARE going to sign him to a max deal if he does decide to bolt toronto. its a given that where ever he goes, he will opt to sign the max deal. We as fans are always saying that Bosh is not a max player because of this or that but its quite obvious that the league considers him as a max player. Bosh is just relentless when he plays.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        The problem to me seems like Bosh is just out there trying to get his right now. He's the leader, he's the linchpin. You pull that pin and the whole thing falls apart. What I think has happened is that the word is out on Bosh, and it's that he's done here. If this theory is correct then how on earth could we expect anyone to follow his lead? If he's not in the lead then no one is leading this team on the floor. Which comes back to what I said first, Bosh is out there getting his, padding those stats. You ever see a headless chicken? That's the Toronto Raptors. The head is rolling down the road, southbound.
        i agree 100%. bosh is a stat monster, not a winner.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          Bosh is just relentless when he plays.
          It's true that Bosh is relentless when he plays, but he hasn't been up to the same standards since coming back from injury--in terms of effort or output. Maybe the fact that he saw how horrible the team is without him has something to do with it. Who knows why? In any case, I don't think the core issue is Bosh or people "getting in his ear." I do agree that this is a problem, but the fact is that the team has come back to playing how they've played all season: soft and heartless defensively; selfish, soft and undisciplined offensively. Check the numbers. (Especially defensively.) Does anyone know how many times they've given up 60+ by halftime and been behind? What's the average given up per game? How can a team win with these habits? Y The point is, they don't play a winning basketball... The issue is far greater than people getting in Bosh's (or anyone else's ) ear. If Colangelo is blind enough to think this is the problem... eeeek, that's a depressing thought.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
            i dont see the logic in Bosh padding his stats. he's already told the raps he's only going to sign a max deal, and he knows that the only other teams who can sign him to a max deal as well ARE going to sign him to a max deal if he does decide to bolt toronto. its a given that where ever he goes, he will opt to sign the max deal.
            One word. Image.

fyahmikes wrote: View Post
            In any case, I don't think the core issue is Bosh or people "getting in his ear." I do agree that this is a problem, but the fact is that the team has come back to playing how they've played all season: soft and heartless defensively; selfish, soft and undisciplined offensively. Check the numbers.
            Strong leadership isn't about words. That doesn't mean I am saying communication isn't highly important.
            Last edited by Apollo; Fri Mar 26, 2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

It's ideal when your best player is your leader, but he doesn't have to be as the case with Vince.

Comment

Well, it is the case that the best player is the leader in Toronto and right now he's doing a poor job of it. Does anyone else want the job? I don't think so. Could anyone else do it effectively? I don't think so.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Well, it is the case that the best player is the leader in Toronto and right now he's doing a poor job of it. Does anyone else want the job? I don't think so. Could anyone else do it effectively? I don't think so.
                  Jack seems to be fine with taking the job, and has done a good job of acting as a leader for DeRozan/Weems. Aside from that, I was hoping Turkoglu would be the veteran leader we needed. So much for him, Jermaine O'Neil, and whatever other leaders we've tried to bring in.

Comment

I blame Turkoglu. He's brought absolutely nothing to this team this season, and he's continously whined publicly about how he's been "mishandled" by the coaching staff.

As our prized free agent signing last summer, his lack of productivity and unwillingness to bring the necessary effort and intensity at this point in the season is very dissapointing.
                    RR OG

Comment

Marz, I'm not so sure I would call him a leader. If you're right though do you seriously think he passes my second question? Who's going to listen to Jack? Seriously? His main problems of late have been dealing with emotions related to not being about to lock down a starting role. He's not the guy Marz, no way.

Comment

Are the emotions or lack thereof that Jack has displayed over the last couple weeks solely because of the loss of the starting job or has his close friend Bosh let him know that he won't be returning and Jack is stuck as the PG of a Turk led Raptors...

Comment

i think the lack of leadership leaves this team without direction
                          they look lost
                          my prediction bosh going to ny to join lebron ...
                          please trade david lee for him
                          he will pad his stats as much, useless but good looking stats

Comment

The main difference between pre and post All-Star break is strength of schedule. Even during their win streak they got into bad habits of not showing up early and turning it on in the second half. Works against shit teams, not so much against good ones.

Comment

It wasn't that simple, they be the likes of the Heat, Lakers, Bucks, Mavs, Spurs, Magic, Bobcats and Rockets over that stretch.

Comment

Working...
                              X