New NBA TV Deal announced tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joey wrote: View Post
    Adam Silver did mention 'smoothing' their way into the new Cap numbers.

And very few teams are actually claiming to be losing money anymore. The Nets lost like $145M last year, but the next closest team was like Washington which lost $10M. Pretty sure 2/3 of the League is profitable at this point. I wonder if this deal changes much of that.
    It should, roughly, add about $43M to each team per year - no?

Comment

Yeah, Silver mentioned they'll be talking about smoothing the way the NFL did. I'll have to look into exactly what the NFL did to get an idea of what that would likely entail. Less detail than I would have liked, but you take what you can get.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

mchappy wrote: View Post
        it should, roughly, add about $43m to each team per year - no?
        28m.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Huh, looking at the NFL, it seems like they actually let the jump happen (a 10M jump this year, and a planned 15M next this year, due to two new TV deals those years), and will see smoothing afterwards. Probably not what Silver was referring to...
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
            Adam Silver did mention 'smoothing' their way into the new Cap numbers.

And very few teams are actually claiming to be losing money anymore. The Nets lost like $145M last year, but the next closest team was like Washington which lost $10M. Pretty sure 2/3 of the League is profitable at this point. I wonder if this deal changes much of that.
            The Nets? The Nets? (think Jim Mora)....that team paid nearly 100 million in luxury taxes last year. The other 45 mill. was probably Prokhorov flying his GFs over for a weekend.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              The Nets? The Nets? (think Jim Mora)....that team paid nearly 100 million in luxury taxes last year. The other 45 mill. was probably Prokhorov flying his GFs over for a weekend.
              I'm hearing a lot of jealousy and envy caught up in some misery in that reply.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                28m.
                I figured my methods were too simplistic.

Either way, no wonder franchise values are ballooning.

Hopefully owners don't go for the throat again in 2017.

Comment

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/statu...56364720234496

Also: Any "smoothing out" of cap increases will happen in 2016 and beyond. Silver ruled out anything in 2015, bc TV deal will not have begun
                  Well, that rules 2015 out.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nb...he-salary-cap/

As ever, Lowe is all over it.

The plans as of now are to start at $2.1 billion in 2016-17, the first year of the deal, and escalate in even year-over-year increments to a peak of $3.1 billion in the final year, per sources who have reviewed a memo the league sent to teams today.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      I figured my methods were too simplistic.

Either way, no wonder franchise values are ballooning.

Hopefully owners don't go for the throat again in 2017.

Along these same lines:

Dan McCarney: "There's never been a better time to be an NBA owner" -- Ted Leonsis with the understatement of the century. Twitter @danmccarneysaen - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.GkX4ZW5s.dpuf

Comment

Given that 2.1B plan, the cap projects like this for the next few years, with adjustments for the recent pattern of outpacing the expected 4.5% growth to the tune of 5.5% per year:

2014-15: 63.032M cap, 76.2M tax
                        2015-16: 66.5M, 79.5M
                        2016-17: 86.7M, 103.7M
                        2017-18: 91.6M, 109.5M
                        2018-19: 96.7M, 115.6M

If the non-TV revenue flatlines instead of growing at it's current pace (can't imagine that would actually happen), the cap in 2016-17 will still be 80.8M (96.6M tax).
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

So DeMar's max deal is gonna start at about 26M, ditto for Durant.

My word.

We need to get JV and Ross extended next year if possible or we're going to pay out the nose for them.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                            Given that 2.1B plan, the cap projects like this for the next few years, with adjustments for the recent pattern of outpacing the expected 4.5% growth to the tune of 5.5% per year:

If the non-TV revenue flatlines instead of growing at it's current pace (can't imagine that would actually happen), the cap in 2016-17 will still be 80.8M (96.6M tax).
                            Sure is a great deal of monies , this way entry contracts and 2 nd round picks are inexpensive and become more important until the CBA is reopened, those are the reasonable- what is going to salaries for starting 5 to be like. Some players who are 2nd team allstars are going to ask for max contracts that sucks. DD is a max contract or 15 million dollar contract or more

Comment

NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
                              So DeMar's max deal is gonna start at about 26M, ditto for Durant.

My word.

We need to get JV and Ross extended next year if possible or we're going to pay out the nose for them.
                              DeMar won't get that max.. no GM will be that nuts. I suspect somewhere between $15-17M. And considering the value of the new salary cap that's not so bad.

Comment

[QUOTE=DanH;368563]Given that 2.1B plan, the cap projects like this for the next few years, with adjustments for the recent pattern of outpacing the expected 4.5% growth to the tune of 5.5% per year:

So in 2016 can Raptors actually go after in Durant ? If not who do want after the big amount of releases totalling 27 million dollars shoving us below the cap to about 49 million. Can we resign lou Williams and Amir and still have room to go after a Milsap.
                                Is our Lou Williams our Vinnie Johnson( pistons 6th man from the dark ages ) or our Ben Gordon before he lost his shooting touch.

Because I presume the raps re-up JV and TRoss in 2016/17 season. Can't they sign , this year!

Comment

Working...
                                X