Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T. Ross. Still a better idea than Andre Drummond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
    I have long been a very vocal opposition to the Terrence Ross pick over Drummond. Time and time again you get a debate on this with Ross fans, of which i try to be one of, but the debate is always pretty lame.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it again for fun, the Raptors made a huge mistake choosing Ross over Drummond. Ross isn't going to be an impact player in the NBA. Drummond already is.

Thoughts?
    Hardly. After 12 games, with the vaunted SVG guiding him and the team, the Pistons are 3-9 behind a not tough schedule, Drummond's FG% is 39%, even less than his pathetic 40% FT%. Doesn't seem to have the IQ for defense, but he's a hell of a rebounder (he gets a pass on the ones he pushes teammates out of the way, or grabs them out of their hands, I guess), and a hell of a foul machine. 12 games, he's fouled out twice, and had 5 fouls 4 times

Said it before, and will again: quite possible he's nothing more than a glorified Regend with hops
    Last edited by chico; Thu Nov 20, 2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• 12 games in:

T-Ross - 11.3 ppg on 44%-43%-92% shooting with 1 TO/game in 27 mins

Drummond - 8.3 ppg on 40%-0%-40% shooting with 1.8 TO/game in 28 mins

I say without T-Ross we wouldn't be 9-2 right now.
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• chico wrote: View Post
        Hardly. After 12 games, with the vaunted SVG guiding him and the team, the Pistons are 3-9 behind a not tough schedule, Drummond's FG% is 39%, even less than his pathetic 40% FT%. Doesn't seem to have the IQ for defense, but he's a hell of a rebounder (he gets a pass on the ones he pushes teammates out of the way, or grabs them out of their hands, I guess), and a hell of a foul machine. 12 games, he's fouled out twice, and had 5 fouls 4 times

Said it before, and will again: quite possible he's nothing more than a glorified Regend with hops
        This will be interesting to watch, especially since Drummond has performed very well under 3 previous coaches. If you give SVG the benefit of the doubt, then it's a period of adjustment where he's trying to get Drummond to un-learn some really bad habits and improve his BBIQ. Or, the Pistons roster is just so flawed that even SVG can't develop a system to optimize it. Or, SVG is over-rated and was overdue to get humbled.

Comment

• See, this is really interesting to me, and circles back to a lot of bigger issues. Drummond has said he's frustrated by the changes, and is clearly struggling, but here's how his coach responded.

"No, I would like to get him the ball more," Van Gundy said, when asked if his plan to develop Drummond on the fly as an offensive post presence has changed.
          The Pistons are losing games and people are laughing at them. But Van Gundy is committed to developing Drummond. That's how a player reaches the next level.

Yes, Drummond is having a tough time right now. But DeMar's worst year was when Casey came in and he had to learn how to play in a half court offense. That adversity made him a better player.

Short term pain = long term gain. Drummond is still the 10th youngest player in the league with 200 minutes... You can't put a ceiling on him for at least a couple more years.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            This will be interesting to watch, especially since Drummond has performed very well under 3 previous coaches. If you give SVG the benefit of the doubt, then it's a period of adjustment where he's trying to get Drummond to un-learn some really bad habits and improve his BBIQ. Or, the Pistons roster is just so flawed that even SVG can't develop a system to optimize it. Or, SVG is over-rated and was overdue to get humbled.
            Well, they're trying to get Drummond to actually play basketball. Trying to improve his skill-base and bball IQ. Both of which had basically not been worked on for....ever?

He was producing well under other coaches, but there was no real system. No accountability or discipline in any way. For him to actually grow as a player, he needs to be coached the way he is now. It doesn't mean he will grow as a player, but otherwise he definitely won't, and he'd stay just a good energy big with low bball IQ.

Comment

• Drummond getting his poop together. Pistons still suck but they sucked before too. SVG is like the Marines, tears you down to build you back up!

66% FG
              22pts
              14rebs

over last 3

Comment

• Terrence Ross's laziness in getting caught behind screens is unacceptable.

Comment

• I've heard some other people mention this point about Ross and I agree: Ross needs to play with a sense of urgency. He is always in such a laid back mood that it feels like he's not giving it his all. He's been playing what, 25 mpg this season? He should be giving it his all when he's on the floor, not coasting. Simply put, we need him to produce, whether its from the 3 point line or from the defensive end. When Ross gets going, the Raptors are going as well.
                  I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                  -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Drummond getting his poop together. Pistons still suck but they sucked before too. SVG is like the Marines, tears you down to build you back up!

66% FG
                    22pts
                    14rebs

over last 3
                    Nah they just went back to what he did last year. Less post ups and more PnR and dump offs.
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                      I've heard some other people mention this point about Ross and I agree: Ross needs to play with a sense of urgency. He is always in such a laid back mood that it feels like he's not giving it his all. He's been playing what, 25 mpg this season? He should be giving it his all when he's on the floor, not coasting. Simply put, we need him to produce, whether its from the 3 point line or from the defensive end. When Ross gets going, the Raptors are going as well.
                      I think part of that has to do with the fact that Lowry and DD are gunna take a combined 30 attempts per game and he gets 25 touches per game compared to DD's 55 and Lowry's 83. DD and Lowry are very ball dominate, which isn't bad per say, it just means that the role of TRoss is to stand out by the three point line and wait for a kick out. The problem I see with this is that Ross isn't open very often because defenders know he is a good shooter, they don't run many off ball screens for him, the lane is pretty clogged up generally so his man doesn't have to help often and there isn't a whole lot of ball movement. That is the biggest thing I saw in the Dallas game, was that their ball movement and movement off the ball shredded the Raps defense, and the Raps offense is a lot of isolations, (although it is changing somewhat) IMO there are a few to many times where DD posts up and does a turn around fading jumper from two stems inside the three point line with a hand in his face. The Raps are fine as is, but IMO it will be hard to make a long run in the playoffs playing like they are. It will be interesting to see how they do in that road trip around the end of December.

Comment

Working...
                      X