No announcement yet.

Amir's free agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The raps should absolutely resign Amir. Not bringing him back would be a terrible decision IMO. Everyone seems to appreciate him, but it appears only a few seem to realize just what he brings to the table overall. His only knock is that he isn't a dominant low post scorer. And this team, as presently constructed, does not need a dominant low post scorer. JV is developing into that type of player anyways. Now, he may never truly dominate in the post, but he is currently a pretty good option in that regard and sure to get better.

Amir's impact is immeasurable. We all know he doesn't fill the stat sheet, but he does alot of things that help this team win. Advanced stats say he is great, but even that is limited in it's ability to truly gauge Amir's impact and value. He IS a difference maker. I'm not sure there is a single player in the league that can do the things Amir does consistently. Name me a PF that can hedge on the PnR and force the ball handler back towards center court and then get back to the FT line or low post to defend his assignment. Nobody in the league works as hard as Amir on plays like that. Millsap and Horford can't or won't. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to run the same type of defence we currently do and replace Amir with a better offensive player, then you try and get your hands on Taj Gibson. And I really only think that because he comes from Thibs system, so I think he can be a very hard working team defender. Either way, you make a trade off. Better offence and lesser defence IMO. And it isn't like Amir is bad offensively. He is actually quite good, he just isn't a player you dump the ball inside to consistently and let him go to work. And if you think that is all this team is missing than I would say you are flat out wrong. I don't think either Millsap or Horford would make this team that much better. Unless we are looking to be a scoring juggernaut of course, in which case we have the wrong coach. The offence flows through Lowry, Demar, and JV, and that is plenty for the starting line. Amir and Ross are there to improve defence and feed off those guys offensively. And who sets screens better than Amir? That is such a huge part of our offence and should not be ignored. Watch the ORL game and see how much harder it was for Vasquez and Williams to get free compared to Lowry and Demar. That's Amir right there folks. I would move Patterson before Amir, without question. Patterson certainly helps space the floor and can shoot the ball better than Amir, but that is about it. Amir is better at everything else IMO.

I'm not sure what his value is though. He is certainly a bench player on a lot of teams. I mean, you're not gonna bring in Amir to take time away from Dirk, or Randolf, or Love, or Davis, or Griffin etc. There are some very solid PF's out there. Nonetheless, I think he deserves and will command a raise. How much I couldn't say. I don't doubt a team out there would be willing to pay him $10M per to be the first big off the bench, or something around that amount. With the cap set to increase alot, that wouldn't surprise me. But something tells me MU would be able to retain him at around $8M per, and I would be more than happy with that. His actual impact is worth more than that.

Comment

!0 - 12 million. Or, as Dan suggested, 5 years for 9 million.

One of the keys for Amir is his health. As the Raptors are presently constructed, with guys who can play the four spot, Amir's minutes can be kept lower for the next 2-3 years, which should improve his health and longevity in the league.

No need for me to repeat all the reasons why Amir helps the team win, but I will mention that how a team treats it's players, and in particular, it's players who have bought into the teams system, give 100% and who continue to put in the work in the off season, is important. Giving Amir a fair contract sends a message to the existing players and to free agents and trade targets around the league that Toronto is a good place to be (alwasy assuming tha tthe Raps can continue winning).

Comment

Amir should get between 8-10M. Varejo new deal 3@30M seems right maybe a little high

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
          Amir should get between 8-10M. Varejo new deal 3@30M seems right maybe a little high
          3@30 for Varejao is insane. Guys always injured.
          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
          Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
            3@30 for Varejao is insane. Guys always injured.
            For Varejao its dumb but for a 10/8 28 yr old combo big with injury issues its about right. Klays or Parsons deal seems good for Demar

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
              Magoon, you're looking at the needs a little to linearly (sorry, can't think of a better word).

Just because some teams already have a starting 4 doesn't mean they wouldn't make a play for a quality, defensive big like Amir, that can play the 4/5.

I actually think Golden State should and could be looking at alternatives to David Lee, who posts numbers but is terrible defensively and is often injured anyways. They might take a long look at a guy like Amir who could be the defensive big in a mobile, small-ball line-up.

The Clippers need a legit back-up at the four. Tyson Chandler's contract is expiring this year in Dallas, and Amir could fill a similar defensive role at a cheaper cost. And although Amir is not technically a center, he would be a big upgrade over Adams and Perkins in OKC.

That's why I think the Raptors will have to overpay Amir somewhere in the 10 -12 M range. I don't know about the cap situations of the Clips, GSW, OKC, or Mavs are, but I can easily see a contending team trying to make a bid for him, even if it's with less money.
              Totally agree.. Amir is one of those guys that every team would love to have. He's unselfish, can play as center or PF and doesn't need the ball in his hands to make a difference and is really good defensively. The only teams that would be out of the running are essentially teams with no cap space, and there are only a handful of those types of teams in the league, especially with the cap going up.

I really believe though that Amir will come back.. he'll want to come back. The only reason he leaves is because Toronto doesn't want him back. As for money.. I think his contract will be high but not ridiculous. Something like $45M/4yrs.

Comment

I think 5-50 front loaded is quite fair, could make the last year a PO if he absolutely needs it
                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I might get bombarded with this comment,but I don't think raptors should sign him. His played a lot of basketball and is breaking down. For me his just above avg pf,the guys I set my sights down the road is Tristan Thompson,that kid is gonna b good. Use that money 2 get Tristan.
                  "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                  My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                    I might get bombarded with this comment,but I don't think raptors should sign him. His played a lot of basketball and is breaking down. For me his just above avg pf,the guys I set my sights down the road is Tristan Thompson,that kid is gonna b good. Use that money 2 get Tristan.
                    The only reason why I'd consider replacing Amir is if we could get a guy that can at least do what he does on defense. If you can't find someone like that then I'd rather just pay Amir.

Amir has played less career minutes than DeMar. His ankles concern me, but even with bad ankles he seems to get the job done (defensively). Thompson is terrible defensively.. at least so far. If he can turn that around that's when I'd consider him, but not before he does.

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                      Amir is tricky to value. No one doubts his contribution but he's not a superstar and this will be the last big contract of his career.

There's probably guys out there with more upside but without the well-roundedness or experience. it's hard to come up with bigs that can run up and down the floor, defend the post, provide help, not be a liability on offense or defense.

So yeah, a guy like Tristan would be intriguing, but it's not like he'll be easy to get either. Big guys that run and play on both sides of the floor are actually kind of rare.

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                        I think 5-50 front loaded is quite fair, could make the last year a PO if he absolutely needs it
                        I think only stars should get 4-5 years, starters (like Amir) and role players should get 2-3 years.

I think a 3 year 30 Million front loaded deal, with a TO on the last year would be good.
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Looks like health may play a big role in his next contract. Lets hope this ankle issue is not chronic and lingers further into the season. No one like to see Amir out after only 2 games, not a good sign.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

After tonight, I say sign him for 4/40, this team just doesn't function without Amir apparently.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                              Looks like health may play a big role in his next contract. Lets hope this ankle issue is not chronic and lingers further into the season. No one like to see Amir out after only 2 games, not a good sign.
                              Isn't it already chronic? Isn't that why he probably should've had surgery in the offseason? If it's a structural thing, it's the only way to try and really address it, right?

Comment

His ankles scares me too much to give him a big deal..

Comment

Working...
                                X