Game 3: Toronto Raptors 102 - Miami Heat 107

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Is anyone else starting to think this is a worrying quote by DeMar?

“I’m sure there’s a long list of one-time all-stars,” he says, “and I don’t want to be on it.”

In three games, he has five assists. Tonight and against Atlanta, two of our more difficult opponents, he tried to play the hero, repeatedly forcing the issue and killing ball movement.

When he doesn't get calls he's even more demonstrative than ever before.

It's way too early to say it's going to be a recurring problem, but we definitely aren't playing the brand of basketball we were last spring, and that comes from the top. OKC with eight guys dressed just beat a healthy Denver squad and we better show up next game or we're going to keep facing the same problems.
    See my post about 3-4 before yours. Similar.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      Lol is SCRAPTOR gone into hiding?...havent seen a post from him lately!!!!!
      I was on the phone the second half. I posted above you and three pages back:

Scraptor wrote: View Post
      What a bunch of hot garbage. No ball movement, no defense, terrible free throw shooting, just garbage. About the most unimpressive 52 points a backcourt could produce I think.

My bad for starting the game thread.
      I'll take the superstition hit, but I still think we should put up the next game thread pretty much as soon as the last game's done. Whoever's starting it can fill in the graphics and text later. Just gives us somewhere to discuss and speculate about what happens next.

Comment

I was on the phone the second half. I posted above you and three pages back:

I'll take the superstition hit, but I still think we should put up the next game thread pretty much as soon as the last game's done. Whoever's starting it can fill in the graphics and text later. Just gives us somewhere to discuss and speculate about what happens next.
        Gawd you shouldnt take this shit seriously...hope you dont. Start the next one...lol...u did a fine job.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
          Gawd you shouldnt take this shit seriously...hope you dont. Start the next one...lol...u did a fine job.
          I think the guidelines are if you start a game thread and they win, you get to start the next one unless there's an hour to go before gametime. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
            I think the guidelines are if you start a game thread and they win, you get to start the next one unless there's an hour to go before gametime. Can anyone confirm this?
            Yup yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            OG is our king

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
              Yup yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Welp, didn't know. I just did it because people were asking for it. Still think we should do it way earlier than an hour before tipoff.

Comment

• Now, I'm real pissed off because of the loss, but I'm telling myself to breathe. Even half decent free throw shooting and we win that game even with all the ugliness.

JV was unstoppable on the block (including a ridiculous assist to GV) and was effective outside of a few missed gimmes. Coaching staff has to drill into him that he can dunk in those situations, go up strong big man. He looked good defensively too, in terms of help D, and wasn't as destroyed by Bosh as I expected. Thought they could have gotten away with more minutes for him. And really should have directed the offence through him - I think I counted 4 concerted, drawn up post ups, on which he scored twice and got one assist on a three, missing only once. 7 points on 4 post up plays, and you don't go back to that well?

DeMar was very effective in spots, and certainly scored well, taking it to the basket whenever he could, although rough to miss so many free throws. Not much passing from him tonight (or any night yet for that matter - starting to become concerning). Rebounding dropped off, and at a bad time - without Amir we needed more board help from the guards. His D was bad as well, flashback to last year, even with Casey hiding him on Deng instead of Wade all game. Hopefully just a sign of the back to back.

Patterson was awful. Weird game for him - usually so positionally sound. Just a disaster defensively, nothing there on O - although part of that was the team struggling to get into an offensive rhythm early.

Ross was effective on D. Nothing special from him, but nothing bad either.

Lowry was pretty good, hit some tough shots, got to the rim a lot, but just like DD, couldn't hit free throws. Weird.

Hansbrough again making me look bad, as he was actually decent against the small ball Heat for stretches, including part of the bench's run to get us close in the 4th. Still don't like what he brings defensively in help situations, but he pestered Bosh alright and got a few key boards. Still. 25 minutes is too many. With Amir out though, I can live with it.

Vasquez was OK. Hit some shots. That's about it. Couldn't handle Wade on D, would have liked to see Ross in there earlier in the 4th, but meh. He was fine.

Williams did what I hope he always does, get to the line without mercy. Would be nice to hit more of them though.

Hayes. Yeesh. Solid defensively, but woof. Can't hit a 2-foot shot to save his life.

JJ was great. Picked his spots on O, was the best defender on the floor every play, and besides the boneheaded fouling of Wade late, didn't make any obvious mistakes. Very good game from him.

Amir can't come back soon enough.

Anyway, a close loss on the road against what will be a playoff team without our best defender is something I can live with. Have to bounce back, and hopefully the team has better habits next time we meet.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Welp, didn't know. I just did it because people were asking for it. Still think we should do it way earlier than an hour before tipoff.
                  Maybe Game Previews would do the trick, basically unofficial game talk, and if the person who's supposed to start the GT doesn't start it, the Preview turns into the GT.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    DeMar was very effective in spots, and certainly scored well, taking it to the basket whenever he could, although rough to miss so many free throws. Not much passing from him tonight (or any night yet for that matter - starting to become concerning). Rebounding dropped off, and at a bad time - without Amir we needed more board help from the guards. His D was bad as well, flashback to last year, even with Casey hiding him on Deng instead of Wade all game. Hopefully just a sign of the back to back.
                    Kinda surprising, I'm not the highest on DD usually, but I'm usually higher than you, excepting tonight. Really didn't like his play too much.

Comment

• in perhaps some poetic justice (not related to tonight's game), Charlotte just got called for a 5 second violation on the inbounds play down by two with about 30 seconds left. Lost to the Knicks. Where have I seen that before?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                        in perhaps some poetic justice (not related to tonight's game), Charlotte just got called for a 5 second violation on the inbounds play down by two with about 30 seconds left. Lost to the Knicks. Where have I seen that before?
                        How are teams losing to the Knicks.

THE KNICKERBOCKERS. This does not compute.

Comment

Kinda surprising, I'm not the highest on DD usually, but I'm usually higher than you, excepting tonight. Really didn't like his play too much.
                          I'm really trying to hold back the negativity because the game was basically decided on missed free throws. My instinct is to rail against the heavens.

I can assure you, if not for my restraint, DD and Casey (for utterly failing to implement our post threat against a team with no post defenders) would be receiving the tongue-lashing of a lifetime.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• What bothers me is this idea that Lowry & DeRozan, being the "leaders" of this team, are shutting out the rest of the team. Yeah, they got 50 points combined, but it's mostly from one on one basketball. No correct that … 2 on 5 basketball. They only pass to each other out there. I get that they're the best players but I'm just sensing too much tag team hero mode. I'd be fine if we lose a game that was fought gracefully.

They whined & bitched their way to this L. It wasn't on the refs, it wasn't on Casey, it was on the players & it starts with DeRozan and Lowry.

Casey needs to police this thing better. DeMar wasn't listening in on the huddle just because the playcall was for Ross & Lou? Cmon now. Win as a team; lose as a team.

It's cool that we lost by 5 when it felt like it was more than that. That means we have talent. But talent won't get you anything if you don't play together. Even the Orlando win had me feeling like I was watching the Rudy team from last season.
                            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              I'm really trying to hold back the negativity because the game was basically decided on missed free throws. My instinct is to rail against the heavens.

I can assure you, if not for my restraint, DD and Casey (for utterly failing to implement our post threat against a team with no post defenders) would be receiving the tongue-lashing of a lifetime.
                              Yeah, I think I haven't railed against Casey tonight either, Jonas was literally our biggest advantage tonight (pun not intended but I'll leave it because puns) and Casey never went to him. I'm hoping this changes as the season goes on.

Comment

Yeah, I think I haven't railed against Casey tonight either, Jonas was literally our biggest advantage tonight (pun not intended but I'll leave it because puns) and Casey never went to him. I'm hoping this changes as the season goes on.
                                News Flash Casey isn't the smartest coach he relies on guards chucking all game long!
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X