No announcement yet.

We're not there yet; what do we need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like all talented young people, our Raptors need composure in the fire to achieve their potential. Certainly there are some gaps and room for improvement in the 10 man rotation we're working with but the biggest X factor working against us (in terms of performance on a nightly basis) is the confidence and sound decision making that comes from experience. Physical types and talents alone (via drafts or player trades and acquisitions) will not secure the performance level we need to take that next step as a team. If this is the better part of the core already assembled then they just need to gain that experience through losing evening more poignantly, making the lessons hopefully harder to miss. The series vs. the Nets, recent losses to the Heat and Bulls, all must be perceived as surmountable and serve as an effective education in how not to lose in those ways. Then they can take on bigger challenges like contending in the conference that this hot start has everyone wanting to consider now.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      The Raptors don't lose games because of their offense. They lose because of their defense. They did score 93 points against the Bulls which isn't that bad, but they gave up 100.

We lost because of Gasol.. we almost lost to Orlando because of Vucevic. These are the guys that can beat us. If teams are relying on their athleticism to beat us, they are going to struggle because we have a tone of athletes. What we don't have is a stud big man on defense.

Last year we struggled against Brooklyn because we had no answer for Joe Johnson.. this year we got JJ, but we still didn't fix the problem if we had to face a stellar front court.

Amir is our most important defensive big, but his ankles are a huge concern. If a big can float around the perimeter (like Frye the other day) we're toast. Jonas does fine on defense, but he's not a stud.. and I don't know if he'll ever become one.

Our offense doesn't go through our bigs, and I'm not sure that will happen if DD is on the team. I'm not saying that's a huge problem but one that can be fixed with the right transaction.

So in my opinion the team should be looking for a center/pf combo that is elite at D (and maybe not so much at O).

Someone like Larry Sanders comes to mind. I'd even take a crack at Hibbert if he was available (he's doing fairly well this season so has rebounded from his mental? issues from last year).
      I couldn't agree more, this is exactly our problem. JV & Amir need help in the post with someone who has size & length (Hayes & Handsbro just aren't big enough and PP isn't defensive minded or enough of a post presence). If Amir's ankles break down we're in serious trouble..

Comment

Bulls game was a view into what we may need to move up a notch in the pecking order. Think we need some more rebounding and someone who does the bulk of their scoring down low at the 4 position.
        While Amir gives us defense and defensive rebounding and PPat gives us the stretch 4 and points from the perimeter but not much in the way of rebounding and TH bless his heart gives us some offensive rebounding but not much in the way of conistent offense down low this is the area we could use another option in.

JV is still "Manos de Piedra" down low. He will get better with game level repetition but some of those clanks from chippe/bunny distance are heart rendering. So we could really use a 15-20 minute a night guy off the bench to help out down low.
        If we change it all up and could get a Horford or even Monroe that would be great but getting them would be tough.
        Millsap like Horford in likely unattainable. West a little old for the return.
        Perhaps a Jared Sullinger would fit the bill but Ainge is unlikely to part with him. Jason Thompson in Sacto and JJ Hickson are the types we could use for downlow offense and defensive rebounding at the 4 that are gettable.
        Lets see what the GM thinks he needs starting in the new year to the trade deadline.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
          Okay, the Chicago game clearly showed that we're not a top tier team in the East yet (let alone the league as a whole) and are solidly second-tier. Talented enough to beat scrubbier teams without trying hard, capable of beating second tier contenders, but simply not consistent enough to beat a true top-tier contender (and Chicago with a 90% healthy Rose is top tier).

So what do we need to reach the next level?

- More internal development?
          - A trade for another player? (Al Horford? Jeff Green?)
          - Do you blame Casey?

Etc. What's your solution?
          Are you out of your mind dude??? It's ridiculous to say we can't beat a top tier team when we've only played a top tier team once.

Comment

This team needs the right lineup out on the floor to end games, first. If DeRozan is struggling, why is he on the floor?

Like everyone else, this team needs an upgrade to the 4 position. Sorry Amir. Amir has not been himself, and has played one good game against Atlanta on opening night. If we can somehow keep both Amir, and Pat, than upgrade with another post player, I'll be very happy.

For what it's worth, I don't think Masai jumps the gun unless he's really on the border of thinking we're having a good, improving season, or if the Raptors truly are a contending team by end of April.

Team stays put, unless some significant growth garners this team is a contender. Raptors haven't beaten a great team yet; Washington is good, but not great.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I'd say we need a 3 before a 4. A guy that can shoot the 3-ball, rebound, and play some solid D at his position. Sure, JJ is nice. But he doesn't shoot 3's. 2Pat is too slow to play SF, Ross looks lost, and Bruno isn't gonna get time. So, what can we do?????
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                I'd say we need a 3 before a 4. A guy that can shoot the 3-ball, rebound, and play some solid D at his position. Sure, JJ is nice. But he doesn't shoot 3's. 2Pat is too slow to play SF, Ross looks lost, and Bruno isn't gonna get time. So, what can we do?????
                I would suggest that Ross looks "disinterested" at times, rather than "lost". When he's playing well, he belongs in the starting lineup. But for whatever reason, he just hasn't figured out how to get to that level every night.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  I would suggest that Ross looks "disinterested" at times, rather than "lost". When he's playing well, he belongs in the starting lineup. But for whatever reason, he just hasn't figured out how to get to that level every night.
                  What really worries me is our 3-ball shooting. Ross can't seem to find his shot enough, and our whole team is down from last year. GV is looking bad with the addition of Lou. I'm scared about how our bench is meshing.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                    What really worries me is our 3-ball shooting. Ross can't seem to find his shot enough, and our whole team is down from last year. GV is looking bad with the addition of Lou. I'm scared about how our bench is meshing.
                    Patterson is getting more comfortable shooting the 3 pointer again.. so at least we've got that going for us.

Comment

i think we need to try and work the ball inside more to JV and amir, see what they can do with it in the post, if anything develop better passing skills. but we need to get more opportunities from the post
                      in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

I think Masai is looking for a 4 and I think Lou Will and Hans will be moved to get him.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I think Masai is looking for a 4 and I think Lou Will and Hans will be moved to get him.
                          that would explain why Casey is giving Tyler so many minutes. Remember right before the trade Ed Davis was getting a lot of minutes and playing really well? Feels like same deal.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            that would explain why Casey is giving Tyler so many minutes. Remember right before the trade Ed Davis was getting a lot of minutes and playing really well? Feels like same deal.
                            Yep, and it's great Lou is playing well too. A package with those two guys may be able to return a decent big with length that can gobble up the boards!!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                              gobble up the boards!!
                              Throughout the history of the NBA (87/88 - defensive rebounding stats counted), the winning team rebounds by about +3.5 defensive rebounds per game over the losing team.

Offensive boards don't really matter, and averages out to the winning team -0.3 offensive rebounds in the win.

In terms of a 39000+ games sample size, +3.5 is pretty big (it's about a 8% rebounding advantage)

Rebounds win games.

Comment

I keep reading the title of this thread, and keep having the same thoughts.

Most people point to one or both of the forward spots. And that might be the position where we need an upgrade.

But I keep thinking about dominoes dropping the right way, and I keep thinking of that NYK/DEN pick. We need both those teams to keep sucking this year. Denver might feel inclined to blow things up if their season keeps going this badly. Lots of bloated salaries on their roster if they keep sucking. And NYK needs to suck badly enough for free agents to not want to go there. Need Gasol to choose the Spurs, and NYK to scrape together a team that will again sorta suck next year.

If that pick is a mid-late lotto pick, that's a truly great piece, whether they draft someone or choose to dangle it in a trade. It could be critical as an avenue to actually fill needs. Free agency is generally a crap shoot, and usually there are only one or two great players who are also great fits (accounting for the fact that RFAs rarely move). Can't bank on it necessarily netting us a difference-maker this summer or the next.

You can better control preparation for drafting, or try to negotiate your way to a truly advantageous trade. And both those things are areas of management where Masai has proven quite good.

So ends my random thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X