No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2015 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The immediate impact of young players is pretty much always way overestimated. They are fun to watch, fun to follow, most of them are even fun to interview. But if you're trying to win, you don't want them on the court very often. Most of them make too many mistakes.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

• Cameron Payne or we could trade out of this draft lol. I can't see kanimsky falling all the way to 20. That would be crazy.

Sam dekker
      Cameron Payne
      Kanimsky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• brothersteve wrote: View Post
        Two project players in Bruno & Bebe on the roster are enough, three is a stretch and four suggests a team that really isn’t all that concerned about winning. There's nobody at 20 who will help the Raptors next year & no where for them to get any minutes.
        http://probballreport.com/can-the-ra...he-2015-draft/
        I love how you link your own piece as proof for your posts. Almost makes them seem legit lol.

I won't click on the link out of principle (you have an opinion to share, post it in RR - we aren't your click factory), but the mere title suggests that this team needs to use its draft pick solely to benefit the team for the next 2-3 years, as opposed to considering the big picture and long term goals. We aren't that close to contending that we can take that approach.

Short sighted moves will result in a treadmill team (at best).
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Hooray!!!

James Harden wants the Rockets to get a PG/SG?: Yeah definitely, that’s one of the conversations that me and Daryl (Morey) are going to have

— Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) May 29, 2015

First workout name that I've read for the Raptors and its one of my favourite draft prospects at 20.
          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Two project players in Bruno & Bebe on the roster are enough, three is a stretch and four suggests a team that really isn’t all that concerned about winning. There's nobody at 20 who will help the Raptors next year & no where for them to get any minutes.
            Beg to differ. On the Houston Rockets there were 9 (!!) players with 2 years or less NBA experience on the roster at various times this season. That is a sh!tload of player development going on. Just one example: Clint Capela's development from a basketball Bambi to a useful contributor in the playoffs was impressive if not shocking.

Papanikolau (R), Black (R), Johnson (R), McDaniels (R), Capela (R), Beverley (2), Motiejunas (2), Prigioni (2), Jones (2)

I don't think anybody is questioning Houston's commitment to winning.

Houston is a franchise that is way ahead of the curve in terms of understanding that player development is one of the biggest bang for the buck strategies for player asset value management, that is more under your control. At some point, the Rockets are going to flip those developed assets and some picks for yet another star player like they did with Harden.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Beg to differ. On the Houston Rockets there were 9 (!!) players with 2 years or less NBA experience on the roster at various times this season. That is a sh!tload of player development going on. Just one example: Clint Capela's development from a basketball Bambi to a useful contributor in the playoffs was impressive if not shocking.

Papanikolau (R), Black (R), Johnson (R), McDaniels (R), Capela (R), Beverley (2), Motiejunas (2), Prigioni (2), Jones (2)

Houston is a franchise that is way ahead of the curve in terms of understanding that player development is one of the biggest bang for the buck strategies for player asset value management, that is more under your control. At some point, the Rockets are going to flip those developed assets and some picks for yet another star player like they did with Harden.
              I agree with everything you said but Prigioni shouldn't be on your list. Not a lot of NBA experience but far from a developing player.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, SF from Arizona, has a pre-draft workout on Wednesday with the Raptors.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The immediate impact of young players is pretty much always way overestimated. They are fun to watch, fun to follow, most of them are even fun to interview. But if you're trying to win, you don't want them on the court very often. Most of them make too many mistakes.
                  But when you're talking deep bench players, what does that matter?

Would Houston really have benefitted that much more from having Stiemsma or Joel Freeland instead of Clint Capela on the bench in the playoffs?

I've got no problem with projects/young pieces deep on the bench.

Comment

The Raptors are not young.

You confuse years experience and age with winning.

Casey has brainwashed you it seems. Don't stand so close with the mic.

Tell Houston about how one can't win with youth on the roster.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-are-NOT-young

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      I agree with everything you said but Prigioni shouldn't be on your list. Not a lot of NBA experience but far from a developing player.
                      Yeah, I know... Prigioni was cheating a bit. However, thinking further about this, I really love what I think is Morey's strategy. On a 15-man roster, only 8-10 guys are going to get minutes on a regular basis.

So, instead of having some disgruntled NBA journeyman retreads who are pissed off that they're not getting at least 10-15 minutes nightly - why not audition and develop some hungry young kids who are happy for every minute they get? And use your own D-League team to feed into those last 5 roster spots.

Combine this with Euro-stashing, and Morey's basically trying to create the equivalent of the minor league farm team feeder system in baseball, within the ridiculous constrictions of the NBA collective bargaining agreement. Hinkie seems to be doing something similar for the Sixers, i.e., increasing the pool of players under your control and developing those players into trade assets.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Great post.

I missed it on the replies originally but linked the same idea to an earlier thread I did.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          But when you're talking deep bench players, what does that matter?

Would Houston really have benefitted that much more from having Stiemsma or Joel Freeland instead of Clint Capela on the bench in the playoffs?

I've got no problem with projects/young pieces deep on the bench.

They would not have benefited at all.

Capela is a fantastic energy player right now and developed all season in Rio Grand Valley.

TALENT matters - not age or years experience.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            They would not have benefited at all.

Capela is a fantastic energy player right now and developed all season in Rio Grand Valley.

TALENT matters - not age or years experience.
                            Well maybe just an itty bit, but Talent is definitely the big one

Comment

BTW, Steve, while I don't agree with this particular post, I have to give you major props as one of the few (only?) professional writers or bloggers to have the guts to come into the forums and vet your opinions with the masses. IMO, this gives you a lot more stret cred. Kind of the equivalent of NBA'ers heading into Rucker Park to mix it up with the street-ballers. LOL.

Even amateur bloggers for this very site (like Zarar and Tim W.) don't even post in their own forums anymore and end up losing touch with the "pulse" of the hardcore fan, here in the forums and often end up talking down to the masses.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                                Well maybe just an itty bit, but Talent is definitely the big one
                                You can have age and experience but not talent and you won't win.

You can have talent but are young and inexperienced but at least you have a chance.

The talent doesn't disappear as you naturally age and get experience.

(not talking to you, I sense you would agree, just saying in general )

Comment

Working...
                                X