Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Toronto Raptors finish among the top two seeds in the Eastern Conference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Toronto Raptors finish among the top two seeds in the Eastern Conference?

Some love from down South.

1. Can the Toronto Raptors finish among the top two seeds in the Eastern Conference?

CHRIS SHERIDAN, EDITOR IN CHIEF: Let’s see … highest point differential in the East? Check. Most raucous fans in the East? Check. A better backcourt than Cleveland or Chicago? Check. A weaker than expected weak Eastern Conference? Check. I do not expect Cleveland’s floundering or Chicago’s injury problems to last forever, but the Raptors are certainly building a cushion that can keep them in top-two contention through April.

CHRIS BERNUCCA, MANAGING EDITOR: Yes, assuming they remain healthy. While it is difficult to look away from the star power in Chicago and Cleveland, the depth falls off pretty quickly on both rosters, especially for the Cavaliers. The Raptors are a legitimate nine deep – 10 players are averaging at least 17 minutes and nine are averaging at least 7.0 points – and can rotate power forwards behind center Jonas Valanciunas. That bench has rallied the Raptors in a couple of games that could have gotten away (Boston, Orlando, Memphis) and allowed Dwane Casey to hand the fourth quarter to Kyle Lowry, who has Kyle Lowrybecome the best closer in the conference. Will things change in the playoffs? Certainly. Rotations get shorter and matchups – team and individual – become more important. But if you told Casey right now that he could have the 2-seed and take his chances from there, he would jump at it.

BEN DUBOSE, COLUMNIST/BLOGGER: Yes. For starters, the Raptors were the East’s No. 3 seed a year ago, and the teams in front of them (Indiana, Miami) are substantially worse. And no, I didn’t forget about the Cavs and Bulls, who – assuming health – are poised to be the class of the East come May. But you could make the case Toronto is more equipped to handle the grind of an 82-game season. The Cavs are under .500 as they integrate LeBron James and Kevin Love while attempting to fix bad habits that plague their young guards. The Bulls, meanwhile, are already dealing with multi-game injuries to Derrick Rose, Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson. I would favor the Bulls or Cavs over the Raptors in May but could see Toronto earning a second seed as those two handle their growing pains. Especially considering the way the Raptors are taking care of their business on a nightly basis (11.8 point differential).
    Source - Sheridan Hoops

It's hard to dismiss an 11-2 record. lots of love on SiriusXM too. Guys like Frank Isola that are normally dismissive of the raptors have nothing but praise. Noah Coslov (who ever that is) still tries to dismiss the start. A good week with games against PHX, ATL and the Mavs should be a good proving week.
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

Comment

If we can beat PHX and and the Mavs, that would be two wins against solid West teams. Would add more credibility to our start.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

we're doing great considering amir johnson has already missed a chunk of games and one of our better bench players JJ is out indefinitely.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
          we're doing great considering amir johnson has already missed a chunk of games and one of our better bench players JJ is out indefinitely.
          JJ and Lou have been two of the most under rated pick ups of the year. How much would the Clippers LOVE to have JJ right now? I bet you he'd be a started. That team has NO small forward.
          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
          Because its 2015

Comment

The Raptors are already in first place and have build a small but significant distance between them and the Cavs so if the Raptors stay healthy and the Cavs soon figure themselves out (unlikely in the next little while) then I still do not see the Cavs catching up. The Wizards on the other hand can and if the Bulls are able to stay healthy then they will. It will be Raptors own doing if they let any team catch up with them now.

Comment

Interesting that in the same article they looked at Memphis' chance of the same and came out with three "nays". I know the west is tougher but I was surprised to see the unanimous vote when they all believed in the Raps

Comment

IfThe Raps have the 1-2 record in the East, I put them as favourites in the second round against either the Bulls or Cavs. Could they beat both in back-to-back series? Hard to say.

Also, if either the Bulls or Cavs get upset(and I think Cleveland could easily exit early), then I think the Raps are lock for the Conference Finals...

I would say with Cleveland's poor start, and their defensive limitations, if they don't turn it around hard by the end of December, there's no way they catch the Raps.

Home court in round two would be HUGE.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                X