Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Heh..... bump.
    Carmelo is EASILY the most narcisistic person in the NBA. BY FAR.
    At one point he hired a "an image Consultant" and a "branding expert" to help him with his 'goals' ...

"What I really want is a bulletproof legacy," he says. "How can I be known for being a visionary, for being truly great?"
    Rodriguez flips to the next slide, which compares Anthony's online influence with that of the men he is always stacked up against. Anthony is fifth. First comes LeBron James. Then Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade. These are the recognized superstars in a game in which Anthony is cast as the almost-superstar. These are the players whose legacies he covets. This is the order in which he fears history will remember him -- always in fifth, just a few beats short of greatness.

"It's not just about the money. I want more than that," Anthony says.

"You want to be a cultural icon, a taste-maker," Rodriguez says.

"Yes," Anthony says, nodding, and in the empty and cavernous office his voice sounds small.

"I want to build something that lasts."
    So to answer your question ... yes, I think he is nuts. He thinks we should speak of him in the same breath as Kobe and Lebron or DWade? Puh-lease. The guy is drunk on himself.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      The only knock against Oscar was that the competition he played with/against wasn't as good. Definitely a top 10 player all time, but not in the top 5 for that reason.

He was like Will Smith playing on Carlton's High School team.
      I dont understand..... was he teleported back from 2016?

those were his peers, he dominated his peers....you are measured against your peers no?

Comment

those were his peers, he dominated his peers....you are measured against your peers no?
        True but racism was big in the early 60's and so there may have been a lot of talented athletes that never got a chance to play with/against him. So he dominated against a talent pool that could have been much better in a sport where good athletes tend to be better than poorer ones.

Comment

Peers would be other players in the league at the time, as the game has evolved since then.

He was a hell of a player at the time but trying to rank players of different era's is VERY subjective.

Take pace - The highest paced team this year is at 99.9, lowest is 90.9.

In 61-62 the highest paced team was 131.1, the lowest 122.9. Oscar's Royals were 124.9.

He also played over 44 MPG, in fact he averaged 44 in his 10 years with the Royals.

BTW, Wilt that year played all 80 games, averaging 48.5 minutes per game!!!!
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• And they still played in the playoffs?

Comment

• Pace was huge, I was going to mention that. With that many shots being put up at a below average (compared to now) rate, it led to a shit ton of rebounds being available to grab. That's why looking at raw stats and trying to compare them to the stats of players in this day & age is hard. Would Wilt be able to grab 27 boards a game in this era of basketball? Probably not.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                Pace was huge, I was going to mention that. With that many shots being put up at a below average (compared to now) rate, it led to a shit ton of rebounds being available to grab. That's why looking at raw stats and trying to compare them to the stats of players in this day & age is hard. Would Wilt be able to grab 27 boards a game in this era of basketball? Probably not.
                Good point on the rebounds - average team grabbed 5713 in 80 games.

Last year the average was 3532. That's about 57 extra rebounds per game between the 2 teams.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

True but racism was big in the early 60's and so there may have been a lot of talented athletes that never got a chance to play with/against him. So he dominated against a talent pool that could have been much better in a sport where good athletes tend to be better than poorer ones.
                  That's a pretty weak argument.

So he gets downgraded due to potential hypothetical players that could have existed and been better than his competition?
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Excellent argument to have a few weeks before the next Legacy League.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      That's a pretty weak argument.

So he gets downgraded due to potential hypothetical players that could have existed and been better than his competition?
                      It's definitely a big factor in my opinion. If he played against more black athletes then I don't think he'd get the numbers that he put up.

Comment

That doesn't make sense planet...Oscar isn't green. Yes, racism was at higher levels but great talent like O, Jabbar, Wilkens made it thru. We must remember that there was no 3 pt. shot and PGs were near assaulted the way the game was played...and that he still dominated as often is testimony.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                          Carmelo is EASILY the most narcisistic person in the NBA. BY FAR.
                          At one point he hired a "an image Consultant" and a "branding expert" to help him with his 'goals' ...

So to answer your question ... yes, I think he is nuts. He thinks we should speak of him in the same breath as Kobe and Lebron or DWade? Puh-lease. The guy is drunk on himself.

This caught my eye. I posted the following 3-4 yrs ago and is testimony to narcissism if ever there was. Did Napoleon have a self portrait done while he was emperor? How about that other narcissist...Donald Trump? But here is proof we certainly know about this bloke...the Knicks deserve him.

Imagine coming home after a hard day at the office...er MSG... after another loss and lying on the couch with a pinot noir contemplating that masterpiece positioned in a space of prominence (above the fireplace!). Must drive all his worries away.

For the backstory ......

http://deadspin.com/5903392/carmelo-...is-living-room

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                            That doesn't make sense planet...Oscar isn't green. Yes, racism was at higher levels but great talent like O, Jabbar, Wilkens made it thru. We must remember that there was no 3 pt. shot and PGs were near assaulted the way the game was played...and that he still dominated as often is testimony.
                            I'm not denying that he wasn't a great player. He is still top 10 or at least top 15 ever. But I don't think he should be in the top 5 because of some of what I mentioned above. Just my opinion.

Comment

I'm not denying that he wasn't a great player. He is still top 10 or at least top 15 ever. But I don't think he should be in the top 5 because of some of what I mentioned above. Just my opinion.
                              Fair enough...I'll just say...my admiration for him lies in his obvious dominance in so many facets of the game especially coming from the position (PG) he played. I think he became the prototype for the big multi skilled point guard...in effect he broke the mold of the skinny, fast and smaller guard. It was a big man's game at the time and he excelled....his numbers dont lie and that must count for something.

Comment

• Curry damn

Comment

Working...
                                X