No announcement yet.

Is Lowry a superstar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How you categorize is subjective, but I don't think he's a superstar. I also don't think he has to be. He is very good floor general, and a very good leader.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      Kyle doesn't have along enough sustained period of excellence to call him a superstar. Very very good player, yes. Leader of the Raptors, yes. Elite point guard numbers, close to yes. Will to win, in spades.

His play this year should ensure he gets the nod for all-star. But there is still quite a step from all-star to Super Star. But he belongs in the conversation.
      I believe the the milestone to go from all-star to super-star is 2000 forum posts....

Comment

Superstar - no

All star - yes

Comment

Last year was his breakout season, and it looks like hes out doing himself with another career season. Dude is incredible. The amount of vitriol after the lakers game was ridiculous. The only reason he had a bad game was he was trying way too hard. Oh and he still had 29 and 9. This dude is a warrior. I know of no other point guard in the nba that ranks so highly in both categories of "skill" and "effort".
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Stars become superstars...in the Playoffs.

1 first round exit in your resume, you aint getting any respect unless you are a 7 footer that can shoot post up dribble assist block rebound steal clean the floor sell tickets wash the uniforms and keep a unibrow.

Comment

su·per·star noun \ˈsü-pər-ˌstär\
              : an extremely famous and successful performer, athlete, etc.

: a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary
              : one that is very prominent or is a prime attraction
              — su·per·star·dom noun

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
                Question then: on how many teams in the league KL wouldn't be the #1 guy? Like if you add him to the roster, where wouldn't he own the team?

You have to get rid of the ego parameter (that's for you, Melo!) and assume the coaching staff dictates what's best for the team
                I 100% agree with this.

KL is right up there with every top PG in the league, and has been since last year. Would you really rather have carmelo on your team than Lowry? Really think about it.

I can name maybe only 3 PG's I would rather have (CP3, rose (with no injuries) and Steph Curry...and even Curry is tough because KL is better defensively) and I'm saying that in the most non-homer way possible. Westrbook, Lillard, Wall, Tony Parker, Conley, Bledsoe are all amazing, but if someone had a gun to my head today I truly would pick Lowry.

That being said, I don't use the term superstar lightly so I really think there are only a few of those in the league. Lebron, Kobe, Rose, etc....someone who completely changes the outcome of the game/team/franchise when he's on it.

I don't think Lowry will ever get there, but I do think that if he keeps playing this way for the next month, and we keep winning, he'll be top 5 in MVP voting which is probably more recognition than any of us thought he would get

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                  I 100% agree with this.

KL is right up there with every top PG in the league, and has been since last year. Would you really rather have carmelo on your team than Lowry? Really think about it.

I can name maybe only 3 PG's I would rather have (CP3, rose (with no injuries) and Steph Curry...and even Curry is tough because KL is better defensively) and I'm saying that in the most non-homer way possible. Westrbook, Lillard, Wall, Tony Parker, Conley, Bledsoe are all amazing, but if someone had a gun to my head today I truly would pick Lowry.

That being said, I don't use the term superstar lightly so I really think there are only a few of those in the league. Lebron, Kobe, Rose, etc....someone who completely changes the outcome of the game/team/franchise when he's on it.

I don't think Lowry will ever get there, but I do think that if he keeps playing this way for the next month, and we keep winning, he'll be top 5 in MVP voting which is probably more recognition than any of us thought he would get
                  I would have a REAL hard time choosing between Lowry and Lillard.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I would have a REAL hard time choosing between Lowry and Lillard.
                    For this year alone, or even the next two years, I'd take Lowry over every other point in the league.

Longterm, I'd have to go with Curry, Wall, and Lillard.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Jeebus...why is Melo being brought in as a comparative? Arent there better representative "superstars" in basketball today or PGs to be specific in the present/past?. Melo is a self-promoting poseur. Yes can shoot the ball insanely but is a hog and chucker who demands the ball to the detriment of his team and often times the game itself. To say something about being a winner...he took the money and now decries the fact that CHI would have been better option. Lowry over the melon any day going forward. My fear is that KL plays so hard he is going to ---- himself. He has to show sustainability of this level of play over a few seasons (including the playoffs) to get that moniker.

ps...for Melo admirers read the recent espn story on where his head is at these days in NY.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        Superstar - no

All star - yes
                        Lowry is a top 5 point guard. He'll have to have a full season of this production and win a bunch of play off games this spring to be top 3.

Side note: by this production I mean what he's doing this year, not last night.
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

I love Kyle, and he's my favourite player on the team. He's a really good player, but I don't know if he is a super star.

He and the Raptors are doing great at beating up on young, inexperienced teams, but they struggle against teams with vets. He has to consistently be the best player on the court even against those veteran teams which he isn't always...twice against Atlanta, Teague out played him. Against Memphis, Connolley gave him issues. Dallas, Lakers, Miami and Chicago are the only other real veteran teams they've played, and those were losses.

I'm waiting to see how the team fares against more veteran opposition, as well as those individual match up's Lowry is faced with.

Comment

He's a crazy good point guard, definately top 10, but you cant crown him a superstar when he has yet to be in an All-Star game, have success in the playoffs, get an MVP or have All-NBA status.

Lowry has had really good games like last night and against Boston, but there were days when point guards like Wall would simply torch him. There's a reason why Casey puts Ross on guys like Wall or Irving, because Lowry is not an elite defender. I like how he takes charges but he gambles on defense and does a lot of reach in type of shit

I cant call him the best PG in the league yet for that reason, but statically he gets it done, and i feel he can be the best PG raptors had all time.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                              Lowry is a top 5 point guard. He'll have to have a full season of this production and win a bunch of play off games this spring to be top 3.

I remember just over a year ago around here a lot of people didnt even consider him an above average starter. Everybody talks about derozan getting better every year but with lowry they just call it "maturing". He is and has been my favorite player since a little after arriving in Toronto and I'm proud the 6 foot bulldog with a rotund derriere is getting recognized around north America.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post

He is a hell of a player.

He is not a superstar.

No fan in Portland or Miami is excited that Lowry is coming to town like they would for KD, Kobe, LeBron, etc.

Superstar is extremely select company and it tends to be reserved for more than on court production. If the discussion is "is he producing like a superstar?" then I could go for that. But when I hear or think superstar, Lowry isn't coming to mind - even though he is the best player on my favourite team.

Lowry is the best player on this team.
                                He was deserving of an all-star last year.
                                He will be an all-star this year.
                                But superstar he is not.

Comment

Working...
                                X