Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endgame Philosophy: agree or disagree with Steve Kerr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dino4life wrote: View Post
    Heard of that guy shaquille o'neal for the first 3 ?

Or that gasol guy for the other 2 ?

Kobe's percentage for last second shot is around 30%, ESPN had an article about it last season.
    So what exactly are you saying? that Kobe won all those championships mainly because of Shaq and Gasol?

You can pretty much say the same thing to Shaq and Gasol. There's no way Shaq wins 3 titles in LA without Kobe. Same thing w/ Gasol. No way he wins 2 titles in LA without Kobe.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

It's a team sport. It's a collective effort. You can't put it all the blame or praise on one person.Like Phil Jackson preached "you're as strong as your weakest link"
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        So what exactly are you saying? that Kobe won all those championships mainly because of Shaq and Gasol?

You can pretty much say the same thing to Shaq and Gasol. There's no way Shaq wins 3 titles in LA without Kobe. Same thing w/ Gasol. No way he wins 2 titles in LA without Kobe.
        What I gather he's saying is Kobe had teammates that were pretty damn good as well AND your Kobe last second hero-ball belief is more myth than reality.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          What I gather he's saying is Kobe had teammates that were pretty damn good as well AND your Kobe last second hero-ball belief is more myth than reality.
          It's no myth. This guy is the greatest closer in NBA history. I don't care what stats say, last second scenario, you give Kobe the ball.

Raptors fans should know this more than anyone else. Hell, the Raps just played the Lakers a couple of weeks ago and Kobe hits a bunch of dagger shots in that game.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

It's no myth. This guy is the greatest closer in NBA history. I don't care what stats say, last second scenario, you give Kobe the ball.

Raptors fans should know this more than anyone else. Hell, the Raps just played the Lakers a couple of weeks ago and Kobe hits a bunch of dagger shots in that game.

I like how you don't care what stats say.

If they made a video of all his "clutch time" misses it would be a lot longer. A lot longer.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Lakers also won 5 championships with Kobe taking the last shot.
              Shaw then Pau. When it was just Kobe it was first round exit.

Comment

Bad coaching and ISO ball will ruin your team chances, if we haven't learned that in game 7 of the playoffs last season, we are going to repeat this mistake over an over again (which we seems to be doing right now during the season) and bounce out of the first round of the playoffs once again.

Comment

I actually didn't have a problem with Lowry's game 7 shot attempt, given the circumstances. Poor spacing, and a heads-up individual defensive play was the difference.

If Pierce had clipped his fingernails that morning, we would've been in the 2nd round.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    http://espn.go.com/blog/golden-state...al-shot&ex_cid

It's an interesting quote, given it's by Kerr (to whom Jordan famously passed), and that people often shit on superstars and coaches who allow lesser players to take the shot--if the shot is missed. I think, like most things, it really depends on the situation, but I think for our particular team, we could use a little more of this attitude in the closing seconds of the game. I don't think we have the personnel to be actively seeking isos at the end of games, and it's something we need to figure out for the playoffs.
                    Two notes on this:

1. Jordan is one of the greatest iso players of all time whom rarely passed the ball to a team mate in a clutch situation with the game on the line.

2. Steve Kerr is a career 45% shooter from 3.

I'm all for an open shot from a capable shooter, but not like we have a roster of knock down shooters either. It's usually 1 on 1 and both Lowry and Lou are great at breaking down their man and creating space for themselves. Wouldn't mind seeing a play run at all, but I find most times that is done it's to switch defenders and then go into an iso anyways.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I actually didn't have a problem with Lowry's game 7 shot attempt, given the circumstances. Poor spacing, and a heads-up individual defensive play was the difference.

If Pierce had clipped his fingernails that morning, we would've been in the 2nd round.
                      Garnett fouled him.

Comment

I think Robert Horry was the most clutch I have seen on late game shots.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Bad coaching and ISO ball will ruin your team chances, if we haven't learned that in game 7 of the playoffs last season, we are going to repeat this mistake over an over again (which we seems to be doing right now during the season) and bounce out of the first round of the playoffs once again.

This video is shitty.
                          Guy is a dolt.

Ross messed this up, everyone in toronto knew that. Having lowry go left is by design as he is best going left, he says it, we see it, it just is.

stupid video, and a classic example of "just because you say it, and you say it well, and you spend a lot of time saying it....sure as fuck doesn't make it right".

too easy to play "expert" on the internet man...... too easy.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                            Situationally, I'm okay with isos. In a tie-game scenario for example, it's really crucial that you make sure you get last shot, so that your worst-case scenario is OT. But timing a complex play at the very end of a game-clock is much more difficult than timing an iso play. I'd rather that my team take a tough, iso shot as time expires than run a good play to get a higher-percentage shot with 5 seconds left on the game clock. Because the last thing I want is the other team to get a chance to win in regulation. But ideally, you'd like that iso to result in something better than a deep 3 over two defenders. Also, you need to at least occasionally set up what looks like an iso and then run a play out of it, to keep defenses honest.

But that's only one situation. When trailing, you take the highest-percentage shot you can get. I also like taking the 3 at the end of regulation when trailing by 2, especially on the road or when you're in foul trouble. My choice for that situation would be a pick-and-roll that tries to open up the corner-3 for a player like Ross, Williams, or Patterson. If the PnR sucks in the defender from the wing, you kick out to the corner, otherwise you take whichever PnR finish is open.
                            What about end of quarters though?

Last night, Casey called a play at the end of the half which ended up with a deep contested 3 by Lou with like 10 seconds still left. Wtf?
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Superstars SHOULD always take the last shot. That's why their superstars.

If you're a Lakers fan, who would you rather see take the game winning shot? Kobe or Lin? exactly. Give me Kobe Bryant, doesn't matter if it's a fadeaway 3 or a stepback 3 over 2 guys. Give me that over a wide open Jeremy Lin jumpshot.
                              Even if on the moon?

"Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                                What about end of quarters though?

Last night, Casey called a play at the end of the half which ended up with a deep contested 3 by Lou with like 10 seconds still left. Wtf?
                                You're wrong. That was a shitty shot by Lou, but there were about 30 seconds left - it was a 2 for 1. Raps had one more possession where they got PP a good look from 3.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X