No announcement yet.

Game #29: Toronto Raptors 120 - Chicago Bulls 129

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one is still eating at me. I was fine with the Lakers loss even the back to back cavs. I just know this one was there for the taking just like earlier in the year. Now we have to wait until march. And I can tell you why that superstar name is so important: you breathe on them and its a foul. Lowry and rose go blow for blow, lowry gets mauled and rose gets and 1s. JV never getting calls in crunch time. And it doesn't matter if kyle and jonas win some individual awards either, they'll never be part of the US hype machine. Derek rose is a chosen one. Look at Nash, 2 mvps but itnever felt like he was part of that inner circle. Nike or adidas commercials or gtfo.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      This one is still eating at me. I was fine with the Lakers loss even the back to back cavs. I just know this one was there for the taking just like earlier in the year. Now we have to wait until march. And I can tell you why that superstar name is so important: you breathe on them and its a foul. Lowry and rose go blow for blow, lowry gets mauled and rose gets and 1s. JV never getting calls in crunch time. And it doesn't matter if kyle and jonas win some individual awards either, they'll never be part of the US hype machine. Derek rose is a chosen one. Look at Nash, 2 mvps but itnever felt like he was part of that inner circle. Nike or adidas commercials or gtfo.
      The refs didn't cause the Raptors' 6+ minute scoring drought to see their 12 point lead evaporate at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The refs didn't stop the Raptors from going inside.

The refs didn't stop the Raptors' shots from falling.

The refs didn't make Hayes and his vertical a foot too short to actually fight for rebounds with Gibson & Mirotic.

The refs didn't make Lowry go hero-ball instead of relying on the team-play that established the first half lead.

The refs didn't make GV look like he was playing pickup ball at the local YMCA.

The refs didn't need to bailout Rose as he made shot after shot after shot over Lowry.

Was the reffing good? Nope.

Did the reffing cost the Raptors the game? Nope.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        Raps were playing without their starting 2 guard, without the sub who was having the most success playing in that spot
        !
        Are you seriously telling me Demar and Landry Fields would've made a difference in this game?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          The refs didn't make Lowry go hero-ball instead of relying on the team-play that established the first half lead.
          Did you see the way the rest of the team was playing though? Lowry did what was necessary. Everybody else on the team was shitting their brains out on offence, especially GV and Lou.

Comment

• Good vet players are better at selling fouls. Good vet players get fouled often (if you can regularly stop a player without fouling he's not good). Bulls have more of these players than we do. Bulls were at home.

I have to agree Casey should blow up at least once in a while for JV.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• I think people really underestimate the impact of crooked reffing. When it affects 6 possessions late, thats a possible 12 points. Big difference. And maybe it didn't change the outcome today but does it not concern anyone when the games become super important?

When we beat detroit in a game featuring a near fight, one of the dunks of the year and a scary looking injury, and there's not even a one line game recap in the links, like the game didn't even exist, that raises a ton of red flags to me about where we are in the hype machine. In the nba eyes, we're a cute story. An also ran, a bridesmaid. Our role is to beat up on the Orlando's and Detroit's, but we're not allowed anywhere near the conference finals with Marv and Reggie. And it boggles my mind as to why, because coast to coast we must have a fan base thats only behind the likes of new york, chicago and L.A.

Comment

• nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                Did you see the way the rest of the team was playing though? Lowry did what was necessary. Everybody else on the team was shitting their brains out on offence, especially GV and Lou.
                And this is true as well, i dont see why there'd be any beef with Lowry in the fourth, he was scoring every trip down!

Comment

• That why guys like Garnett would help the team a lot. He has basically made a late career out of getting ref calls. JV has had Steimsa and Hayes a bit but KG adds more

Comment

When we beat detroit in a game featuring a near fight, one of the dunks of the year and a scary looking injury, and there's not even a one line game recap in the links, like the game didn't even exist, that raises a ton of red flags to me about where we are in the hype machine. In the nba eyes, we're a cute story. An also ran, a bridesmaid. .
                    But why should we be anything different? What have we done to be treated like everyone else? All the other teams have established Hall of Famers, All-Stars, consistent championship aspirations. We still can't believe we're in the top 4 standings, we're constantly seeking validation, and ultimately haven't done anything in our history.

That's like getting a couple of B+'s in 1 semester of a 4 year course and expecting an executive level position once you graduate.

I'm not trying to say shoddy reffing is OK, or that it doesn't happen, because it does. But the league, or the media don't owe us anything.

Comment

When we beat detroit in a game featuring a near fight, one of the dunks of the year and a scary looking injury, and there's not even a one line game recap in the links, like the game didn't even exist, that raises a ton of red flags to me about where we are in the hype machine. In the nba eyes, we're a cute story. An also ran, a bridesmaid. Our role is to beat up on the Orlando's and Detroit's, but we're not allowed anywhere near the conference finals with Marv and Reggie. And it boggles my mind as to why, because coast to coast we must have a fan base thats only behind the likes of new york, chicago and L.A.
                      Toronto has to overcome 19 years of apathy, due to 19 years of utter failure.

Once that's completed, they have to overcome the perception that their record has been largely inflated by an unbalanced home/away schedule against mostly garbage EC teams. There also continues to be a huge perception that even the best EC teams are a level below the top 5-8 WC teams.

Once that's completed, they need to beat the teams that are perceived to be ahead of them in the pecking order, which they have yet to do consistently.

Chicago: 0-2

Cleveland: 1-2 (the win coming when Cleveland was floundering, before LBJ got his groove back)

Dallas: 0-1

Yes, they beat Memphis and OKC, but both have legitimate * beside them due to each team's status at the time

16 Wins: Philly, Orlando x3, Boston, NYK x2, Utah x2, Brooklyn, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Denver, Phoenix, Sacramento

The Raptors have been taking care of business and have a solid record, which is fantastic. I personally don't take anything away from the Raptors or their record. I still think they should be able to make the 2nd round of the playoffs, at least.

However, what they've accomplished - or more so who they've accomplished it against - is not nearly enough to bully their way into the title contender conversation, especially with mainstream US sports media. The Raptors have an uphill climb and, so far, the results in big-hype statement games haven't been great. The Raptors need to win on the big stage against the big boys, consistently, if they want to be propelled by the media hype-machine.
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Dec 23, 2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Are you seriously telling me Demar and Landry Fields would've made a difference in this game?
                        Umm....yes? Their leading scorer, only all-star, and guy who looks to be more important to the team defense than we all thought, was missing. The sub who would probably have been the best defensive matchup for the opposing team's 2nd highest scorer (27 points) was also missing. Also, the game was the second night of a back to back and the Raps got destroyed in the 4th quarter. You're right - the two extra bodies wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

Unless I missed your sarcasm.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Is this a serious question???
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

But why should we be anything different? What have we done to be treated like everyone else? All the other teams have established Hall of Famers, All-Stars, consistent championship aspirations. We still can't believe we're in the top 4 standings, we're constantly seeking validation, and ultimately haven't done anything in our history.

That's like getting a couple of B+'s in 1 semester of a 4 year course and expecting an executive level position once you graduate.

I'm not trying to say shoddy reffing is OK, or that it doesn't happen, because it does. But the league, or the media don't owe us anything.
                            Exactly. Some Raps fans are getting carried away with looking at the standings every day and seeing "#1 in the East." The Raps have accomplished so little and are still very early in their development. Chicago is several steps ahead, building on much more established players. They've also been through their share of bumps, tough losses, and bad luck. You think the Derrick Rose experience has been a cake walk of refs handing them games on a silver platter? Chicago's fought hard for everything they've achieved, including any reputation calls that go their way.

I'm not happy with the 4th quarter either, but sometimes a tough loss is just a tough loss. 82 games - it'll happen.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• So because we've had a dreary history, we have to deal with unfair slanted reffing?

Comment

So because we've had a dreary history, we have to deal with unfair slanted reffing?
                                I can only talk for my reply, which was more in response to the second paragraph I quoted. I've edited my previous post to make that more clear.

In general, I don't think there is "unfair slanted reffing" either. I think there are bad calls and likely a bit of bias due to reputation, but I honestly think the idea of an anti-Raptor agenda is far-fetched and a by-product of desperate fans wanting everybody to see their team as positively as they do.

Comment

Working...
                                X