Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    He can blow up a game so fastwhen he is on. Exciting to watch too
    The on is too few and far between for my liking. However he has still added to an improved offense in place of DeRozan. I remember taking a lot of heat for stating DD touches be reallocated to more efficient options. Turns out it was correct. Also despite Ross not being on enough he is still more efficient than DD and all the FT attempts included.

1) We have improved offensively while losing our "best/leading scorer/all star" that is DD...how can we not talk about that. At its root is a small portion where those who thought the ball stopped with DD were correct. Our offense is now a smoother, flowing, balanced attack. The numbers back it up, and as a "DD nay-sayer" I gotta play the devil and say the obvious...maybe DD is not as good offensively as some of you thought.

n.
    From watching the last few games it is tough to argue. More team ball with ISO limited to Lou and Lowry might actually be very productive come playoffs.... Similar to runs raps went on with DeRozan on bench last year vs Brooklyn.

Lowry has to keep playing out of his mind though.

Comment

Just rewatched the clippers game with the LA feed. As an aside, gotta agree that those announcers are good. Seemed much more aware of our players than most. Anyhow, not to take the "We the north" thing to far but I think the image that best describes our offence, is the great northern glacier. It may not be that sexy but it works. It keeps coming. It doesn't stop. If one path is blocked, it finds another one or just busts on through. You can fight it but you can't win. That really struck me with the Clippers game. Kyle will do what he can do. If it's a JV night, he will got 20 and 10 and nobody will notice. Ross can light it up. Lou can light it up brighter. And, oh yeah, DeMar. And just when you think you've got everyone covered and you force someone to take a bad shot, there's Amir to tip it back in. All of that doesn't include the second best three point shooter in the league. And they even try on defence. This may be something that works. You can never use the philosophy of "just let him get his" to game plan against the raps because that could be anyone.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
        Just rewatched the clippers game with the LA feed. As an aside, gotta agree that those announcers are good. Seemed much more aware of our players than most. Anyhow, not to take the "We the north" thing to far but I think the image that best describes our offence, is the great northern glacier. It may not be that sexy but it works. It keeps coming. It doesn't stop. If one path is blocked, it finds another one or just busts on through. You can fight it but you can't win. That really struck me with the Clippers game. Kyle will do what he can do. If it's a JV night, he will got 20 and 10 and nobody will notice. Ross can light it up. Lou can light it up brighter. And, oh yeah, DeMar. And just when you think you've got everyone covered and you force someone to take a bad shot, there's Amir to tip it back in. All of that doesn't include the second best three point shooter in the league. And they even try on defence. This may be something that works. You can never use the philosophy of "just let him get his" to game plan against the raps because that could be anyone.
        That is a decent analogy.

It describes the majority of games since DD went out and, this is the problem, a minority (but not by much) of games when he was playing.

When the ball is moving and being shared this is a very difficult team - with or without DD.

Comment

TRoss' handles have been much better than DD's for quite a while.

Gotta realize he is taking his offense more in the flow of the game than DD and the offensive efficiency has improved therefor. His shooting percentages have been skewed by a cold streak more than anything. He has gotten tons of wide open looks from three that just havent went down for the past two weeks. Also, consider that he has been in this new role for what, a month...and it took DD 3 years to be marginally even at it. Ross is kicking DDs developmental curve to the curb
          I feel like you're judging the aesthetic of his handles rather than effectiveness. Ross has a smoother looking handle than Demar, but it's not as effectiveness yet.

Comment

Pretty sure Raps were number 2 offence when Derozan went down....lots of factors contributed to the jump to number one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Keeping in mind the 6 straight games we played against sub .500 teams during his absence

Comment

Lastly, in terms of wins... We're 14-3 with Demar and 11-4 without him (this includes 6 straight against sub .500 teams)

Comment

A huge factor is PPAT is out of his shooting slump to be the 2nd best 3 point shooter in the league and JV being more consistent and hitting those bunnies at a higher clip

Comment

Could also be that our offence was already the best and with more time we improved even that much more

Comment

It could be all those things.

It could also mean the Raptors are a better TEAM without its All-Star stopping the ball.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        It could be all those things.

It could also mean the Raptors are a better TEAM without its All-Star stopping the ball.
                        In terms of winning percentage....Its clear the Raptors won at a better clip with Demar than without.....at the end of the day winning is what matters right?

Also, while our offence has been very good (#2 to #1) our defense has taken a step back without Demar so the debate goes on.....lol

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I feel like you're judging the aesthetic of his handles rather than effectiveness. Ross has a smoother looking handle than Demar, but it's not as effectiveness yet.
                          Could be.

I like how Ross is able to get a lot of seperation off his crossover compared to DD. He has a bit more lateral movement with his dribbles, and can hang it out and palm the ball better. DD does have a better handle going through ppl however and is stronger with the ball...

ie their respective handles fit their play styles rather well.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                            In terms of winning percentage....Its clear the Raptors won at a better clip with Demar than without.....at the end of the day winning is what matters right?

Also, while our offence has been very good (#2 to #1) our defense has taken a step back without Demar so the debate goes on.....lol

The winning clip with DeMar in the lineup versus out of the lineup MINUS Vasquez starting is near identical (.820 versus .800).

At the end of the day winning is what matters? I'm not sure. I was always told by numerous posters around here that a W is a W but now you're saying that wins versus sub .500 teams don't matter? I'm confused.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              The on is too few and far between for my liking. However he has still added to an improved offense in place of DeRozan. I remember taking a lot of heat for stating DD touches be reallocated to more efficient options. Turns out it was correct. Also despite Ross not being on enough he is still more efficient than DD and all the FT attempts included.

From watching the last few games it is tough to argue. More team ball with ISO limited to Lou and Lowry might actually be very productive come playoffs.... Similar to runs raps went on with DeRozan on bench last year vs Brooklyn.

Lowry has to keep playing out of his mind though.
                              Ya this is what I was trying to get at, but my extreme bias got in the way*

It is pretty evident that the offense with DD being used so heavily is a bad idea. I had went as far as saying that the Raptors would be better offensively without him prior to injury (even though I had no proof). After his injury I didnt think it was possible (being #2 at that time), but here we are.

This injury hopefully has opened a lot of eyes. Now, with Casey forced to lean less on his star cast, we have seen Ross, JV, Patt, and JJ all step up and fill in those shots and I hope when DD returns that Casey doesnt fall into that trap where he leans on his stars (one of his faults)

Hopefully DD has learned from this too to trust the scoring ability of your teammates and to play within the system. If he can do that he will make us incredibly hard to stop come playoff time.

*shots fired Joey aka Mr Moderator sir. Lol we good

**Lowry has been our asterick. Which is offset in part by Trashquez' handicap

Comment

But demar is the teams defensive anchor!

Comment

Working...
                                X